Page 1 of 2
So what happens now?
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:42 pm
by JudgeDredd
I see Dave has accepted a job with the military...an "offer he couldn't refuse".
Being as he is the lead programmer, is this likely to slip?
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:01 pm
by simovitch
JD,
Not likely. Dave released a bonifide BFTB build with many new features to the team a few weeks back and the Panther moderators have called together all the various DDT team members for a massive playtesting of the 20 (and still growing) scenarios.
AAR's are being written, bugs reported and playability/balance issues are being addressed. Some of the beta testers should be posting their AARs to this public forum over the next few weeks.
It won't be out as soon as everyone hoped, but now with the help of all the DDT members and beta testers the game is moving slowly but surely towards the finish line.[&o]
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:36 pm
by Abalieno
Well, it still doesn't bode well for the future development of the series having the greatest potential...
*sigh*
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:08 pm
by PanzerMike
Good luck to you Dave in your new job. But what a loss [:(]
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:28 pm
by HansBolter
As Simovitch pointed out Dave is still with us and BFTB is moving ahead.
I am about to start posting an AAR of a scenario playtest here in a few minutes.
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:34 am
by bink
Is there a link to more info on Dave's new job?
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:09 am
by sterckxe
ORIGINAL: bink
Is there a link to more info on Dave's new job?
It's Top Secret - there's a black rumour circulating it has to do with the Aussie plan to take over the world ... well, at least the spots where you can get a decent BBQ going [:D]
Greetz,
Eddy Sterckx
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:50 am
by decaro
ORIGINAL: sterckxe
ORIGINAL: bink
Is there a link to more info on Dave's new job?
It's Top Secret - there's a black rumour circulating it has to do with the Aussie plan to take over the world ... well, at least the spots where you can get a decent BBQ going [:D]
Greetz,
Eddy Sterckx
I trust he will put an extra shrimp on the barby for us, as per that old Aussie ad.
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:53 pm
by Arjuna
BBQ is over-rated IMO. I was thinking along the lines of a nice top class restaurant. [;)]
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:50 pm
by sterckxe
ORIGINAL: Arjuna
BBQ is over-rated IMO. I was thinking along the lines of a nice top class restaurant. [;)]
There you have it - government employed just over a week and he's already talking about visiting top class restaurants to spend the piles of money he's earning, paid for by the hard working tax payers [:D]
Greetz,
Eddy Sterckx
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:27 pm
by Arjuna
I reckon if you are going to sell out, I mean commit to something like this, then you need go full bore. [;)]
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:38 pm
by KNac007
seriously though, when this game is released, will there be more releases on the AA engine? it would be such a loss if it's not the case [:(]
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:53 pm
by Arjuna
Our intent is to continue developing titles and the engine, albeit on a part-time basis. However, no one can give an ironclad guarantee.
Ultimately it boils down to choices. For twelve years now we have effectively subsidised the entertainment of others at the expense of our families. Personally I estimate that I am about $1m worse off than had I worked in some other area like defence. Admittedly I have derived a lot of pleasure from creating this series. However, there comes a time when you have to say enough is enough, when you need to think of your family and your economic future just as others do. That time has come for me. I do realise that this will mean a longer development time for future titles and that that will dissappoint many people. For that I am sorry. But I know that few would have stuck at this as long ,and sacrificed as much, as we have for the love of wargaming.
I also know that few would pay the retail price needed to be charged to sustain our full time development. I estimate this to be $200 per copy. So effectively a full time business is not viable. Doing it part-time doesn't make sense from a purely economic perspective, but at least I will be doing something I enjoy, that gives enjoyment to others and without imposing such a cost on my family and future.
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:47 am
by Plodder
The best of luck with your new endeavours Dave.[:)]Did the military finally wake up to the potential of your engine, or is it something more hush-hush?
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:58 am
by Arjuna
No it's not directly related to our game engine. I'm working on a project that is setting up a Decision Support and Simulation centre to assist in the process of determining future defence capability options.
Congratulations and good luck!
Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:29 am
by flintlock
Congratulations on your new position, Arjuna!
I'm one of those people that would happily pay $200 for the game, because frankly, it's well worth it. Regardless, the wargaming community is very fortunate to have the current quality titles based on the Airborne Assault engine. Once BFTB is finally released, the community will be very fortunate indeed with any future titles that Panther Games sees fit to develop.
Many thanks for your past and current work, and hopefully with any luck, we will be graced with further titles in the future. *fingers firmly crossed*
Best,
flintlock
RE: Congratulations and good luck!
Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:12 am
by JudgeDredd
I one of those people that wouldn't pay $200 for a game. My wife simply would not understand why I would have to pay $200 for a game...it just wouldn't wash.
Would I if I was single? Probably if I had the funds.
Well...I appreciate your work so far in this series. I enjoy COTA immensely and I wish you luck in your knew full time job.
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:34 am
by decaro
ORIGINAL: Arjuna
... I'm working on a project that is setting up a Decision Support and Simulation centre to assist in the process of determining future defence capability options.
My God, he hasn't even started his new job yet and already he's talking
newspeak.
Civilian translation, anyone? It sounds like Arjuna's working on a new version of DEFCON, but for real
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:08 pm
by sterckxe
ORIGINAL: Joe D.
Civilian translation, anyone? It sounds like Arjuna's working on a new version of DEFCON, but for real
<edit>
reply removed for security purposes.
</edit>
RE: So what happens now?
Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:18 pm
by Deathtreader
Arjuna,
Man, you've made the absolute right choice.... nothing supercedes family and future. I applaud what I suspect was in many ways a very difficult choice for you.
[&o][&o]
From a wargaming perspective though........... sob, whine, sniffle sniffle, waaaahhh !!!

