Page 1 of 2

OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:51 pm
by KG Erwin
OK, I know a few of you may be beer drinkers, so let's list our favorites. Today I'm trying out a domestic bock from the hamlet of Shiner, Texas (pop 2070). It's not bad, and it amazes me how much variety is available here in WV.

I can go to my local convenience store and browse in their walk-in cooler. They have the usual suspects (Heineken, Guinness Stout, Beck's, etc), but once in awhile something unusual appears, like the above-mentioned Shiner Bock, manufactured by the Spoetzl Brewery (est 1909). Had to try it, as my wife's family is from Texas.

Anyway, my usual beer is the tried and true Bud Light, but I like variety. Guinness Stout is also a favorite, as is Michelob Amber Bock.

Does wargaming and beer-drinking go hand-in-hand? Yes it does.

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:01 pm
by Prince of Eckmühl
Shiner's is the real deal, alright, much more "Euro," than most U.S. brands.

My favorite, though, is Rolling Rock, formerly of Latrobe, PA.

Excellent stuff with fresh-grilled, road-kill, and stuffed-jalapenos!

PoE

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:12 pm
by Yogi the Great
Wisconsin is the beer drinking capital of the U.S. gentlemen

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:23 pm
by JudgeDredd
Stella Artois - I know it's a lager, but I hate beer! [:D]

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:02 pm
by Arctic Blast
Stella's not a bad one. I am also a fan of the Guinness, though that's one you have to be in the mood for.

I don't tend to get in to the 'big brand' North American beers. I like a few of the varieties of Sleemans and Big Rock we've got up here. Most Brit beers are pretty good. I quite like picking up something new whenever I can, and have found that Jamaica Stout, Sapporo, and Kenya Tusker are good. And Pacifico is a good 'chillin' on the deck with friends and BBQ steak' kinda beer.

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:50 pm
by robpost3
Smuttynose Shoals Pale Ale...BBC Steel Rail...Paper City Dam Ale...Guiness...Youngs and Fullers...once again any Belgian Abbey Ale bottled aged...Canadian Maudites...so many beers..so little time...

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:00 am
by Brigz
Dos Equis, Corona, and Miller in a bottle. Don't drink as much beer as I used to.

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:11 am
by Goblin
I love JW Dundees Honey Brown!
 
McEwans Irish Ale is nummy. Blue Moon Belgian Wheat beer is good too.
 
Free beer is my favorite, though. [8D]

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:56 am
by Paul Vebber
Leinie's have become the sam Adams of the midwest.

http://www.leinie.com/beers.html


Image

I've been partial to smithwicks lately too...

http://www.diageo.ie/brands/smithwicks

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:09 am
by Marauders
Killian's Irish Red
 
There are other dark beers I like too, but for some reason, I like Killian's taste better than most.
 
I really can't stand many of the weak beers that are on tap in many bars.
 

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:58 am
by JeF
USAnians and English talking about beers.... [8|] Oh well...

Though I'm not a specialist, i'd argue than best beers are the special ones from Belgium. I like them blond, dark or white.
Lately, I'm found of Leffe (worldwide distributed) and the "Blanche de Namur" is the best white beer I know.

Jupiler is the best lager in the world, though it's less tasty since they changed the logo so that you don't see the balls of the bull anymore....
ORIGINAL: Goblin
Free beer is my favorite, though. [8D]

Agreed. Nothing beats a Free Beer ! [:D]



JeF.

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:23 am
by goodwoodrw
Whats wrong with a good ginger beer [:D] seriously nothing beats a Vic, a Victorian Bitter

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:59 am
by Arkady
Pilsner Urquell


RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:08 pm
by Yogi the Great
ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

Leinie's have become the sam Adams of the midwest.

http://www.leinie.com/beers.html


Image


Good time to post this again:

Wisconsin is the beer drinking capital of the U.S. gentlemen



RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:33 pm
by Arctic Blast
Well, yeah...what else is there to do? [:)]

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:21 pm
by Yogi the Great
ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

Well, yeah...what else is there to do? [:)]

Well youy may have a point there.

But to truly enjoy the beer, we know that you have to eat a Brat along with it. Try a Johnsonville Bratwurst with a Leine's beer & you will then know one of the finer things in life.[&o]

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:58 pm
by robpost3
ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

Well, yeah...what else is there to do? [:)]

Well youy may have a point there.

But to truly enjoy the beer, we know that you have to eat a Brat along with it. Try a Johnsonville Bratwurst with a Leine's beer & you will then know one of the finer things in life.[&o]
throw in some that nice sharp cheddar and I am in heaven too!!

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:47 pm
by Drex
I have to give my town"s Sierra Nevada Pale Ale a mention here, although they have a whole line of stouts,porters,etc.

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 am
by Arctic Blast
I third the motion for brats and beer! Or a BBQ steak.

RE: OT:? Favorite Beers

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:40 am
by morvwilson
I think I prefer the BBQ steak over the brats.
Also have to agree that free beer is the best! with one proviso, no scotch buy!
After that, a black and tan is like mother's milk to me! (guinness stout & Bass ale)