Page 1 of 1

Can't get out of Screen

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:48 am
by KGrob
I patched to 2.5...it's been a long time since I've played so I don't know what patch the last one was I played on.

Anyway...

I was playing Scenario 17, after about a week or so into the scenario, I brought up an aircraft information screen and I couldn't get out of it. I tried all sorts of stuff...still couldn't get out of it. Eventually, I pressed the "Q" at the top right and the screen went away...and I thought this might be an eventual work around to the problem. But the problem quickly returned when I checked the next aircraft group screen and I couldn't get rid of it this time even by pressing the "Q"...the screen sticks no matter what buttons I press (Back, Exit, Next group, aircraft ID, anything...it's all locked/frozen).

I downloaded a new video driver and a new sound driver and tweaked things a bit...

But the next time I started the game (a New game this time), the first time I entered one of the aircraft information screens, the problem returned...I was unable to get out of the screen no matter what I did.

Note: the problem has occurred on at least two different aircraft information screens and occasionally, the tactical map in the background will go completely black during the problem although the aircraft information screen remains in the foreground...still frozen though. I've tried shutting down background programs such as Virus, Firewall, and so forth, but the problem remains.

The problem has rendered the game unplayable.

Bummer.

RE: Can't get out of Screen

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:54 pm
by KGrob
I unloaded the game, defragged the hard drive, reloaded the game, and defragged the hard drive again...I saw that as a possible solution in a thread around here somewhere. Anyway, I checked out the game and I couldn't duplicate the problem (at least not immediately). I guess I'll give it another try.

We'll see how things work out...I'm going to hate to get several months into a long campaign and have that happen again.

RE: Can't get out of Screen

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:16 pm
by KGrob
Okay, well, I duplicated the problem again...right away. Better early on I guess.

If it makes any difference, it happens when I transfer airplanes to other airbases. I like to move my B-17s to other airbases to take advantage of their range...and that is when it seems to happen mostly. But, it's happened at other times with other planes (it's happened about 10 or 12 times now...mostly when I've transferred planes).

I transfer the B-17s...bam!...screen locked.

Weird.

RE: Can't get out of Screen

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:15 pm
by KGrob
I went back and checked around, apparently my video driver wasn't the most recent. I downloaded it from one of those "guaranteed most recent" sites and it turns out their guarantee wasn't as good as it sounded.

I checked over at nVidea and now have the latest video driver loaded.

We'll see if that makes any difference.


RE: Can't get out of Screen

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:12 am
by KGrob
I got the game running again, not sure for how long.

But I did transfer several squadrons of aircraft, including all the B17s, and nothing has frozen/locked up yet. So that is a good sign.

I'm hoping that video driver update did the trick.

RE: Can't get out of Screen

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:30 pm
by tocaff
Good luck with the new driver.  I've never had that problem.