Page 1 of 1

Almost Feel Guilty...

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:26 pm
by KG Erwin
... for having so much fun with the game. It took me half-a-dozen or more restarts before reaching a comfort zone, but I'm now totally immersed in the world I've created.

The next time I go to a game, I may have to buy me a fedora to wear, and take a couple of stogies, IF I can find a place to smoke one. [:D]


RE: Almost Feel Guilty...

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:26 am
by Sonny II
ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

... for having so much fun with the game. It took me half-a-dozen or more restarts before reaching a comfort zone, but I'm now totally immersed in the world I've created.

The next time I go to a game, I may have to buy me a fedora to wear, and take a couple of stogies, IF I can find a place to smoke one. [:D]



Be sure you wear a white shirt and tie (though you are allowed to roll up your sleeves.)

RE: Almost Feel Guilty...

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:46 pm
by VanScoy
and enjoy a frosty Ballantine!

RE: Almost Feel Guilty...

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:03 am
by dneely
KG

Why not tell us more about the association you created?? I used your 1946 (correct year??) awhile back and have been thinking about DL it again for a fresh start in CE. Any suggestions or ideas to enhance the experience??

Thanks

RE: Almost Feel Guilty...

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:03 am
by KG Erwin
ORIGINAL: dneely

KG

Why not tell us more about the association you created?? I used your 1946 (correct year??) awhile back and have been thinking about DL it again for a fresh start in CE. Any suggestions or ideas to enhance the experience??

Thanks

The entire history is in the Locker sub-forum. I debated on whether to use real rosters, but opted for a radical departure and used a real-player draft league with the early-entry feature implemented. Lots of very young future hall-of-famers in my association. Some are doing well, others aren't.

Honestly, if I had to restart it, I'd go back to pre-1939 (say, maybe 1936?) and use real rosters. The most important thing, to my mind, is setting the proper atmosphere (e.g., real ballparks and team logos). The roster sizes need to match the available player pool, too. I chose 50-man rosters and 1946 for several reasons, but it seemed a good place to begin the so-called "modern era" and AFAIK there aren't many scrubs in the free-agent draft pool.

One other thing, and this is a biggie -- NO finances. I'm not gonna argue the morality of the reserve clause, but I really don't think the AI GMs can handle salaries very well. That's just my personal opinion, of course.

All you gotta do is look at my association history. I ran away with the pennant in 1946, but in 1947 here come the Phillies, a talented team that drafted well. I live in WV, but Pennsylvania has become the home of several major-league powerhouses.

One other thing -- get those photos from Padres Fan's site. Almost all of my players have photos assigned. That's an important aspect for me.

So, the 1946 real-roster template I uploaded is Ok, but not perfect. I use different ballpark pics now ( the "painted" ones are beautiful), but other than that, it's ready to play. Also be aware that that template was written for PS 2005.