Page 1 of 1

How does this game compare to Combat Mission?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:42 pm
by decaro
I own CDV's Combat Mission anthology, which seemed to run out of steam by the time they got to the Russian campaign. Or maybe I'm too spoiled for WEGO by CoH's graphics and play.

So how does this game compare w/CDV's 60 sec segments? Aren't they essentially the same format?


RE: How does this game compare to Combat Mission?

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:08 am
by Mobius
Joe, the turns are different.  They are composed of two 40 second impulses.  The first impulse contains the simple orders.   The second impulse lets the units react to changes in the situation if any.  

The orders are simple orders that might be conveyed to a platoon in a few words by their commander, not complex sequences typed into a computer.

The covered zone is determined by the facing of the vehicle, not by surveyor gnomes laying out range stakes.

The game is hugely and easily moddable.  With the use of note pad and the scenario editor I've made battles from France 1940 to the Fulga Gap between T-62 vs. M60s.

RE: How does this game compare to Combat Mission?

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:06 pm
by Icedawg
What do WEGO and CoH stand for?

RE: How does this game compare to Combat Mission?

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:39 pm
by Erik Rutins
WEGO = Both players enter orders, then both players watch the outcome ("We Go together") vs. IGOUGO where each player enters orders, then sees the results, then the other player enters orders and sees results ("I Go then yoU Go")

COH, I assume, meant Company of Heroes the RTS from THQ.

RE: How does this game compare to Combat Mission?

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:12 pm
by decaro
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
...
COH, I assume, meant Company of Heroes the RTS from THQ.

Correct assumption! CoH is Real Time Strategy (RTS) vs. WEGO. I think the old Panzer General was IgoUgo; it's been a long time since I played PG.

Sorry for all the "text messaging."