Page 1 of 1
Complexity?
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:47 am
by elmo3
Can any of the testers rate the complexity of this game on a scale of 1 to 10? Thanks.
RE: Complexity?
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:19 am
by AU Tiger_MatrixForum
And complexity vs. the board game on the same scale please.
RE: Complexity?
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:46 am
by 7th Somersets
I don't know the board game.
I would say that the game is one that strikes that rare good balance between being fairly simple to play, but where the grand scale of it all gives you many options and a lot of fun.
On a scale of 1 to 10 I personally would give it 3-4 in complexity. Overall it is easy to pick up and play. There are some things - like getting the naval warfare/transport/amphibious systems running properly that takes a little thought.
Regards.
RE: Complexity?
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:59 am
by elmo3
Great. Thanks.
RE: Complexity?
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:46 pm
by ejs6263
I agree with 7th Somersets that the game's about 3-4 on a scale of 1-10. One caveat is that although the game is easy to pick up and play, the game has its nuances - the activation system, resource allocation, etc. - that require some thought. I found myself learning something new about the game after every session of having my rear kicked by SMK in PBEM's.
RE: Complexity?
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:28 am
by FrankHunter
For what its worth, I do try to keep my games simple as far as the mechanics goes. The complexity of things like supply is usually kept under the hood. GoA doesn't have anything in particular I would call complex from the user's standpoint.
RE: Complexity?
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:45 am
by TheHellPatrol
[&:]FYI: Matrix is listing the complexity as Advanced...
RE: Complexity?
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:50 pm
by IronX
With a relatively low complexity rating, some grogs may baulk at this thinking that only a complex wargame can mean depth and longevity. Having played many wargames over the past three decades, the ones I enjoy the most are the more subtle ones, where learning the game doesn't require a master's degree in interpretation and leaves much of the hard work to the computer. I've only recently stumbled upon HPS Sims Squad Battles series and it falls into the same category: easy to learn, challenging and fun, which in my books means I'll be playing it for a long time to come. I really enjoyed the original GoA boardgame many years ago and am very much looking forward to this version too.

RE: Complexity?
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:29 pm
by tgb
How extensive is the manual, and is there a tutorial?
RE: Complexity?
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:11 pm
by ejs6263
ORIGINAL: IronX
With a relatively low complexity rating, some grogs may baulk at this thinking that only a complex wargame can mean depth and longevity. Having played many wargames over the past three decades, the ones I enjoy the most are the more subtle ones, where learning the game doesn't require a master's degree in interpretation and leaves much of the hard work to the computer. I've only recently stumbled upon HPS Sims Squad Battles series and it falls into the same category: easy to learn, challenging and fun, which in my books means I'll be playing it for a long time to come. I really enjoyed the original GoA boardgame many years ago and am very much looking forward to this version too.
I agree with you 100%. Some games attempt to be so all-encompassing that they become frustrating and unplayable because of the need to micro-manage. Victoria is a classic example. You almost need a degree in macro economics to play the game and as a consequence it becomes frustrating (and boring) fairly quick. Other games like Civil War Generals (1 & 2), TOAW - in the classic war gaming tradition of great Avalon Hill games like Third Reich, Gettysburg, etc. - are easy to play yet are great sims with a high replay value. I see GOA in this latter category.