Page 1 of 1

How do I use formation move?

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 2:53 am
by Bob Longford
Can anyone tell me exactly how to get the formation move option to work? I select a unit, hit "A", but then when I left click on a destination hex, nothing happens.

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 4:27 am
by Wild Bill
Its inoperative in this game. Some say they have gotten it to work. I never have. It was not operative in SP3 either, where it was needed badly for those large formations.

Someone who has gotten it to work might throw a hint your way, but I have not.

Wild Bill

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 6:01 am
by Desert Fox
Well, unfortunately, SP3 was creqated with the intention that everyone use the command and control function and set objectives for each platoon. This seems to carry over into SPWAW and accounts for the weirdness with the move radius as well as formation moves. To get an all-formation move, you have to first set an objective for the formation. Then, when you want to move the formation, you can only order them to move to one of the lighted hexes which are in the general direction of the objective hex. It doesn't matter what preference settings you have, the only way it works is to set an objective hex for the formation.

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 6:29 am
by Tombstone
Yes, what he says is true. Even if you get it to work it doesn't work all that well. The computer makes some lame decisions sometimes when moving all the units in a formation, but if you're on relatively homogenous terrain and the formation is all in the same basic place it's not so bad for moving guys that aren't to close to trouble.

Tomo

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 9:55 am
by Wild Bill
You guys are getting too good! I feel threatened Image

Nicely answered...Wild Bill

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 11:27 am
by Arralen
I'm pretty shure I used this feature once - without setting objectives.

But strangly only 3 or 4 units of 5 moved - the 5th had "move 0" and refused to do anything Image

So I do not use it any more - and the "command & control" feature as well ...

Arralen