Page 1 of 1
question about tactical battle
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:35 pm
by fatespinner
If players choose PBEM, can they fight battles in detail with a turn-based set of rules on a hex map with each other?
Or player can only fight battles in detail against AI?
RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:47 pm
by Erik Rutins
PBEM only supports quick and instant battle resolution. Tactical battles are effectively a game within a game that would add an incredible number of file exchanges to a PBEM game as well as interrupting the PBEM turn structure, so they're only supported for vs. AI and network play.
RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:17 pm
by Gil R.
You can play detailed battles against the AI, as you say, but also against human opponents if you play hotseat or networked.
RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:43 pm
by ravinhood
I guess that will be the next innovation in games the ability to play BOTH the strategic AND tactical turns in a PBEM game.

RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:14 am
by cesteman
Nice pic Ravinhood. Who is that btw? Cheers.
RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:08 am
by ravinhood
Who do you think it is sugar?? Bats eyelashes (makes cartoon dingle dingle dingle sound) hehe
RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:40 pm
by Gil R.
Well, when I do a right-click+save in order to see whether the JPEG has her name, it says "451CF6192AA44307BE372EDB75C25C81." I assume that's not it.
RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:04 pm
by Ironclad
Perhaps you have found the missing Cylon model.
RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:30 am
by ravinhood
It's Veronica Lake actress from a very long time ago.
RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:54 am
by Gil R.
Huh. That's what I suspected. But I also thought it might be whatsherface, the one famously discovered in a soda fountain.
RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:04 am
by Gil R.
Weird. I was reading the Wikipedia entry on her, and found that her last movie was called "Flesh Feast." Since that seemed like a highly unlikely title for a movie with a star of Lake's caliber, I clicked on the link. Here's the plot summary:
Flesh Feast (released in 1970, though shot in 1967) is an American horror film that features Veronica Lake in her final screen performance. Lake plays Dr. Elaine Frederick, a mad scientist working on developing maggots that prefer human flesh, while her services are used to make a clone of Adolf Hitler.
She cooperates with the plan to resurrect Hitler as a way of exacting revenge for the death of her parents, political prisoners executed in a concentration camp. While convincing everyone the flesh-eating maggots are for regeneration research, she simply wants to throw them in the resurrected Hitler's face, which she does.
RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:06 am
by Gil R.
And now I've followed a link from Wikipedia to some film site's discussion of the movie. Check out the "maggot factoids," plus the pictures of fake-Hitler.
http://www.brainsonfilm.com/ffeast.html
RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:05 pm
by Drex
It is a step above Ed Wood but not good enough for cult status it seems. I never heard of it.
RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:16 pm
by jchastain
ORIGINAL: ravinhood
It's Veronica Lake actress from a very long time ago.
Wait. Are you now saying that's NOT your sister?
Reference Thread
I feel so duped... so cheated. Again. [:-]
RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:25 pm
by ravinhood
I said she was an actress I never said she wasn't my sister.

RE: question about tactical battle
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:21 pm
by ericbabe
There are musings at WCS about spinning off some of our detailed combat stuff into independent games. A PBEM detailed combat could be done more easily if we just had players alternate moving (i.e. USA player moves all his units, then CSA player moves all his units). That would be feasible in PBEM. The current staggered initiative rules would work for extreme diehard PBEM fans only.