Page 1 of 1
A free agent system for v.2?
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:20 pm
by redwolf1
Well, I know free agency with salaries and contract lengths are intended for a v.3 down the road (which may be quite some time from now)...
In the mean time, I would like to see a simplified and uncomplex system free agent system (eg. one that is not so hard to program in with what v.2 currently offers) put in place for an update to v.2 (so we can at least get some movement of players between teams before the start of any given season).
I've made a suggestion of a system that is perhaps very possible (and uncomplicated) to put in here:
tm.asp?m=1578539
Thanks for the consideration.
RE: A free agent system for v.2?
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:23 pm
by GlennN
I guess we all have different visions on what we want. I can't stand free agency/salary cap. I would hope there is an option to turn it off if it does enter the game. I like to build teams the old fashioned way - draft and trades. My first wish for any GM functions is AI trade ability.
RE: A free agent system for v.2?
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:27 pm
by garysorrell
I agree with GlennN, I would like a Trade AI, like the FBPro series. A nice little back and forth with the CPU teams. Although, I would want the FA/Salary stuff to at least be optional....plenty of people enjoy it. I did mess with it a bit in my Madden days.
RE: A free agent system for v.2?
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:53 am
by Marauders
The FBPro AI was so easy to dupe with trades that I rarely used it.
I liked the Front Office and Gelat Commisioner free agent tools for FBPro. They added a straight foward way to do league salaries and caps.
For MaxFB V3, I would really not like to see any system that unbalances teams by market or by how many hot dogs a team sells. That stuff bogs down the game in stuff too far away from the game of football.
RE: A free agent system for v.2?
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:24 am
by redwolf1
ORIGINAL: Marauders
For MaxFB V3, I would really not see any system that unbalances teams by market or by how many hot dogs a team sells. That stuff bogs down the game in stuff too far away from the game of football.
I agree as well...and if the reference here is to Madden, did ya know that this has been fixed - again by the utility guys. [;)]
RE: A free agent system for v.2?
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:32 pm
by GlennN
ORIGINAL: Marauders
The FBPro AI was so easy to dupe with trades that I rarely used it.
Yeah, if you wanted to dupe it, you surely could, but it gave an indication. I just combined that with a (somewhat) objective look to see if my deal was ok. Hey, it was a lot better than nothing!
RE: A free agent system for v.2?
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:55 pm
by redwolf1
I think a good rule of thumb regarding trades (ya, one could sure cheat a cpu team with the FBPro system (and Madden too)) is to always put yourself in the position of the GM of the team you are trading with. If you yourself would make that deal as the GM, then the trade is fine, otherwise, don't do it. It needs to be mutually beneficial to both teams.
How not to do it
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:45 pm
by BCtheQB
hot dogs and parking considerations are out, I agree,
but free agency has to be part of the mix, ESPECIALLY if
you guys plan to launch and maintain a league for more than 4 seasons
which is when most of them die.
if you dont have a way to prevent the rich from getting richer, the new owner
(THE LIFEBLOOD OF ANY LEAGUE) will get thumped, having a poor team to begin with
and NO TOOLS to turn it around. NFL owners are only willing to wait 3 yrs because theyve
got 100's of millions on the line, when guys like you and I plunk down our $40 we want to
win now, maybe not win it all but at least be able to entertain the illusion of competitiveness.
Sooooo many FBPro leagues failed over this.
whatever system needs to be talent based, with a market value component as an add on
and salary basement to again add pressure to dynasty stockpiling.
Veterancy payscales are HORRIBLE, because what happens is the good teams dangle an
aged OVERPAID veteran that new teams are desperate for, and trade 2 draft picks for him.
Now they cant afford anything else, the guy is going to pass away in 2 yrs and they gutted
their own future by never drafting and waiting for the #1 draft pick to develop, because
they were short sighted, and wanted to try SOMETHING rather than losing the first 30 games
because their roster is depleted and their hands were tied. The top team may have traded away Randy Moss, but with ROOKIES like Reggie Bush, Calvin Johnson, and Jay Cutler on the bench, the talent gap will never be closed, in fact it will grow when Moss retires, while the top team gets a decade of play from the desperation of a bottom tier owner's picks AT CUT RATE PRICES due to players age. Now the bottom guy is 3 talent slots poorer, AND DOESNT HAVE ANY MORE MONEY THAN THE DYNASTY. If there is no free agency, he cant even buy better players, then the guy quits, the next guy is worse off WITH NO TOOLS , then you have cpu owned teams, then the league folds. Seen it 100x over.