Page 1 of 6

What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:40 am
by heenanc
favourite military quote???

Being British one that I've alway found propelling is,

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Winston Churchill, after the fall of France.

What's yours?

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:04 am
by cantona2
"Klotzen, nicht kleckern" Heinz Guderian

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:11 am
by Apollo11
Hi all,
ORIGINAL: cantona2

"Klotzen, nicht kleckern" Heinz Guderian

Hehehe... I knew that someone would mention that one... [:)] and virtually untranslatable... [;)]


Leo "Apollo11"

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:19 am
by histgamer
Oh a quote by the most skilled Union General of the Civil War, and its not Grant or Sherman.

One said when an aid asks the II Corps Commander to get off his horse in the middle of teh most intense artillery barrage of the war. Hancock says this and continues to ride up and down his line inspiring his men.

"There are times when a corps commanders life does not count" July 3rd 1863 Winfield Scott Hancock.

another great one is after the second corps suffers its first defeat under his command (the first ever for the corps)

"Colonel, I do not care to die, but I pray to God I may never leave this field." Winfield Scott Hancock

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:38 am
by MarcA
King Harold at the Battle of Hastings

"Watch that fekker with the bow and arrow. He'll have somebodies eye out"

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:17 am
by Raverdave
ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: cantona2

"Klotzen, nicht kleckern" Heinz Guderian

Hehehe... I knew that someone would mention that one... [:)] and virtually untranslatable... [;)]


For those of us that Don't speak German.....could you give it a go?


Leo "Apollo11"

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:47 am
by Mistmatz
ORIGINAL: Raverdave

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: cantona2

"Klotzen, nicht kleckern" Heinz Guderian

Hehehe... I knew that someone would mention that one... [:)] and virtually untranslatable... [;)]


For those of us that Don't speak German.....could you give it a go?


Leo "Apollo11"

Being german I'd translate it as "think big".
Taken word by word it would be something like "slog, don't fiddle", if that makes any sense.

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:33 am
by JeffroK
"If them Chinks are invincible then my bums a frying pan"

"Evil Eye" Everleigh. MM.
3 RAR
Korea 1951

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:52 am
by Gen.Hoepner
Mine?
 
mmm.... "Persian arrows would be so numerous as to blot out the sun"
"So much the better, we shall fight in the shade."
 
Dieneces, Termophyle, 480 B.C.

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:57 am
by AW1Steve
ORIGINAL: JeffK

"If them Chinks are invincible then my bums a frying pan"

"Evil Eye" Everleigh. MM.
3 RAR
Korea 1951
[&:] ???? thought I .[&:]

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:58 am
by AW1Steve
ORIGINAL: Gen.Hoepner

Mine?

mmm.... "Persian arrows would be so numerous as to blot out the sun"
"So much the better, we shall fight in the shade."

Dieneces, Termophyle, 480 B.C.
[&:] OK , that clarifies everything........

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:00 pm
by Javakamp
I'm not sure of the original source but...

"No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy."


RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:02 pm
by Apollo11
Hi all,

I always liked the three below...

Horatio Nelson in battle of Trafalgar on October 21, 1805:
"England expects that every man will do his duty!"

and

Togo Heihachiro in battle of Tsushima on May 27, 1905:
"The Empire's fate depends on the result of this battle, let every man do his utmost duty!"

and (although it is said that is is not 100% correctly quoted)

David Glasgow Farragut in battle of Mobile Bay fought on August 5, 1864:
"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"


Leo "Apollo11"

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:03 pm
by Mistmatz
ORIGINAL: Javakamp

I'm not sure of the original source but...

"No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy."


I believe this was from a german WWI general, probably neither Hindenburg nor Ludendorff and not Schlieffen himself. Hmmm thinking about it, it could have been Manstein, WWII though.

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:11 pm
by rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: Mistmatz

ORIGINAL: Javakamp

I'm not sure of the original source but...

"No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy."


I believe this was from a german WWI general, probably neither Hindenburg nor Ludendorff and not Schlieffen himself. Hmmm thinking about it, it could have been Manstein, WWII though.

i think you meant this one:

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:21 pm
by okami
ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

ORIGINAL: Mistmatz

ORIGINAL: Javakamp

I'm not sure of the original source but...

"No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy."


I believe this was from a german WWI general, probably neither Hindenburg nor Ludendorff and not Schlieffen himself. Hmmm thinking about it, it could have been Manstein, WWII though.

i think you meant this one:

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
And that is Bismarck's Von Moltke not the WWI Von Moltke.

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:31 pm
by Dixie
Bugger this for a game of soliders....

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:33 pm
by AW1Steve
"or reality".
ORIGINAL: Javakamp

I'm not sure of the original source but...

"No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy."


RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:35 pm
by AW1Steve
Or Adm "Soc" Mcmorris at the battle of the Komandorski's "Screw the torpedo's , lets get the hell out of here!".[:D]
ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

I always liked the three below...

Horatio Nelson in battle of Trafalgar on October 21, 1805:
"England expects that every man will do his duty!"

and

Togo Heihachiro in battle of Tsushima on May 27, 1905:
"The Empire's fate depends on the result of this battle, let every man do his utmost duty!"

and (although it is said that is is not 100% correctly quoted)

David Glasgow Farragut in battle of Mobile Bay fought on August 5, 1864:
"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"


Leo "Apollo11"

RE: What's your

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:37 pm
by AW1Steve
Let's not play silly buggers now, this games not worth the candle. (sorry , you just brought out two of my favorite "Britisms").[:D]
ORIGINAL: Dixie

Bugger this for a game of soliders....