Page 1 of 3
White Christmas
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:48 am
by JudgeDredd
I wondered how many people "regulalry" get snow at Christmas.
I don't remember the last time I had a White Christmas here in Colchester (UK).
There's nothing better than throwing on White Christmas on Christmas Day and watching the snow fall
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:56 pm
by mack2
I doubt anywhere in Australia gets snow at Christmas.
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:58 pm
by Dixie
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
I wondered how many people "regulalry" get snow at Christmas.
I don't remember the last time I had a White Christmas here in Colchester (UK).
There's nothing better than throwing on White Christmas on Christmas Day and watching the snow fall
I seem to remember that for most of the past few years in the UK we've had a Wet Christmas [8|]
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:21 pm
by captskillet
Fat chance here in Louisiana Judge........we get snow from time to time but never in my almost 52 years have I seen it when the Fatman & Rudolph show up....................from around Missouri on North has a good chance every year.
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:27 pm
by sprior
Happens here in Chicago quite regularly (at least in the 7 years I've been here).
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:08 pm
by PunkReaper
That's why the song says "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" and not "I'm having a white Christmas". Must have been written in the North West of England..
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:45 pm
by Neilster
ORIGINAL: mack2
I doubt anywhere in Australia gets snow at Christmas.
Apparently it has happened here in Hobart. Because we're at the southern-most point in Australia (remember things are upside-down here northern-hemisphere folk [;)]) and surrounded by ocean which causes a lag to all seasons, consistently warm weather doesn't really start here until about mid December. When a dirty great cold front comes out of the Southern Ocean the weather can turn nasty quickly. I'm told it has snowed here on Christmas day.
A couple of years ago I met a 2 young, female European backpackers whilst camping on the East Coast. They stayed with me in Hobart for a while in late January before leaving to tackle the 5 day overland track at Cradle Mountain. Lovely girls...very enthusiastic...[;)] Anyway, I insisted that they buy thermal underwear before they left. They laughed at me, as it was pretty hot but I said to them, "Believe me, the weather can change fast up there. Don't eff with the Tasmanian mountains. Every year they kill people who underestimate them." Well... did it ever! A massive cold front came through on their first day, bringing gale force winds and snow. They got lost and were lucky they were found by experienced bushwalkers who guided them to safety.
Having said that, it's going to be 25 Celsius today with blazing sunshine. We also get an Indian summer that stretches on well into April. Last year we had a 37 degree day (100F) in October with dozens of houses in Hobart destroyed by bushfire. 2 days later I looked out my window and it was snowing. [X(]
Cheers, Neilster
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:22 pm
by mack2
I knew I should have specified "Mainland Australia".
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:22 pm
by Zap
Here, the mountains of southern california, we can be assured of snow. We just can't be guaranteed it will fall on Christmas. Many, up here, wish they could place an order to have it snow on Christmas Eve for the reason you stated, Judge.
If you miss the snow. Come to the Matrix forum, on Christmas Day. I see that Matrix has the snow falling[:D]
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:10 pm
by Veldor
ORIGINAL: sprior
Happens here in Chicago quite regularly (at least in the 7 years I've been here).
In Chicago, We almost even had snow for Thanksgiving!!
I've lived here all my life and in a town that Hollywood loves to use for christmas movies (Everything from Home Alone onwards) I'd really say that we don't normally actually have a White Christmas.
We usually get some sometime before christmas, that then melts entirely before Christmas.. And then it snows a lot in late January through sometime in March which are actually the true winter months many places.
If I had to guess Id say its been a white christmas 2-3 times in the last 7 years only (I could be wrong). Which is well above average here. But, so far as I've heard, Chicago is still the best chance for it of any "Normal Place". I've even heard of people moving here who love Christmas and its certainly an area that borders on going overboard on the whole holiday thing. People do believe what they see in movies!!
Home Decorations start popping up November 1st and stores around here start decorating in July
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:11 pm
by Rainbow7
We had two days of major snow fall this week. Seem all I've been doing is shovelling the driveway.
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:29 am
by Arctic Blast
Typically not much of an issue in Alberta. Hell, we're expecting a few centimeters in 2 days.
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:52 pm
by morvwilson
ORIGINAL: Dixie
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
I wondered how many people "regulalry" get snow at Christmas.
I don't remember the last time I had a White Christmas here in Colchester (UK).
There's nothing better than throwing on White Christmas on Christmas Day and watching the snow fall
I seem to remember that for most of the past few years in the UK we've had a Wet Christmas [8|]
What?!
Rain in England!?
Nyah!
Never happen!
It's all in your head!
It's all propaganda!
No snow here in California, except in the mountains.
Merry Christmas to ya!

RE: White Christmas
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:28 pm
by hueglin
We have snow on the ground right now. It's anyone's guess if it will still be here at Christmas. We're about 50/50 on White Christmases.
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:45 pm
by LarryP
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
I wondered how many people "regulalry" get snow at Christmas.
In Carson City Nevada we get snow at Christmas about 40% of the time. It almost always snows shortly after though. We are at 4700 feet. [:)]
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:47 pm
by KG Erwin
Here in WV, snow on Christmas is relatively rare. We don't usually get any major accumulations until January-February.
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:14 am
by 105mm Howitzer
Just received 15cm 3 days ago, stuff was mixed with rain and sleet...Let the car-sliding season begin.
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:54 am
by stevemk1a
Just got 10cm or so of snow, temp is -8c. Forecast is calling for more snow and lows of -20c predicted for next week. It gets dark at about 4:00pm or so this time of year too. Time of year to either buy more wargames, or a new snowmobile ... [:'(]
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:14 am
by Ursa MAior
Neither here in Eastern-Central Europe. Last white christmas was like 10 yrs ago. Damned global warming. I even forgot how to iceskate.
RE: White Christmas
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:10 am
by JudgeDredd
ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast
Typically not much of an issue in Alberta. Hell, we're expecting a few centimeters in 2 days.
I was in Alberta...Wainwright to be exact. Had some great nights out in Edmonton and, in particular, the Robin Hood bar in Edmonton Mall.
I love your country [&o]