Page 1 of 1

Unit Facing Control

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:58 pm
by Deputy
Just downloaded (and ordered) the sim. Sure glad it now works with XP [&o]

I noticed that the "Unit Facing" control seems to be only useable on the top Menu control. Used to be you could use the numberpad to face units. Was much more convenient that way. I don't have a new manual (hopefully one woll come with the CDROM), so can anyone tell me if there's another way to face units other than the top Menu bar?

Dep

RE: Unit Facing Control

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:08 pm
by Jason Petho
Hi Deputy

Make sure the Number Pad is on, and then press #4 or #6 on the Number Pad to rotate units.

Jason Petho

RE: Unit Facing Control

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:15 pm
by Deputy
Thanks Jason!!! I lit my number pad light on the keyboard and facing works!!! Excellent!!!
Just wondering...does a paper manual come with the CDROM? I still have the manuals from the old Talonsoft versions. Should I hang on to them?

Dep

RE: Unit Facing Control

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:20 pm
by Jason Petho
Doesn't hurt to hang onto them, a lot of the system is the same.

There will be minor changes coming with the next update, but nothing overly drastic. The game still functions the same.

There is a downloadable "printable" manual in the Members area, but I would hold off on that until I have time to rewrite it.

Jason Petho

RE: Unit Facing Control

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:57 pm
by Deputy
Thanks Jason. I'll wait on the newest manual before downloading. [;)]

RE: Unit Facing Control

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:54 pm
by british exil
Is there a reason why I need to make the effort to rotate my units to face the enemy? Been playing for a while and have never thought too much about this movement.

Mathew

RE: Unit Facing Control

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:24 pm
by Lionfish
Armor Facing!

You are weaker with your back exposed to the enemy.
Always rotate units to face enemy = increase defense.



RE: Unit Facing Control

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:02 pm
by vadersson
Keep in miind the Armor facing rules are optional rules.

The optional armor facing rules assign different defeses to the diffent sides of armored units.  Of course for a game at this scale I personally feel they are a bit too much.

Thanks,
Duncan


RE: Unit Facing Control

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:29 am
by Jason Petho
Given the typical tactics employed by an armoured platoon, I believe the armour facing option is an excellent addition and rarely play a human opponent without it. It is good to turn it off when playing the AI though, as it does not consider armour facing when it plays.

Jason Petho

RE: Unit Facing Control

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:00 pm
by cyberwop36
ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Given the typical tactics employed by an armoured platoon, I believe the armour facing option is an excellent addition and rarely play a human opponent without it. It is good to turn it off when playing the AI though, as it does not consider armour facing when it plays.

Jason Petho
The problem I had with it was as soon as a tank platoon got a reteat result they turn tail and run exposing the rear armour[or lack of] facing, and get kreamed. Real tankers know to back out under heavy direct fire.


RE: Unit Facing Control

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:07 pm
by Jason Petho
ORIGINAL: cyberwop36

The problem I had with it was as soon as a tank platoon got a reteat result they turn tail and run exposing the rear armour[or lack of] facing, and get kreamed. Real tankers know to back out under heavy direct fire.

While not solving all tactical problems, a tactic to avoid such carnage is to not put your tank platoons in a position where they do not retreat under cover. Utilizing terrain to the best the scenario allows.

Placing them on the edge of a forest, town or field provides you the opportunity to retreat out of Line of Sight - in essence: saving your rear.

Jason Petho

RE: Unit Facing Control

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:11 pm
by Deputy
I use armor facing even against the comp. Sometimes I need every advantage I can get [:)]
If anyone has ever played WinSPWW2, they have an interesting system....whenever a unit takes fire from an enemy unit, it immediately faces in that units direction. Armor facing is ALWAYS implemented whether against computer or another player. I don't know if a system like that could be implemented in the Campaign Series, but it sure would be neat [:D]

Dep

RE: Unit Facing Control

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:17 pm
by cyberwop36
Well I mostly meant the AI charging around in the open and bouncing around. But every now and then even we have to come out and assault a objective.

Basically is the combat result tables still the same causing multiple retreat results? Units using armour facing rules should reverse when retreating.

As a ex-Armoured Cav. Officer, and have actually commnaded a armoured platoon in the field I do know better than to expose my units [:D]
[unless she askes nicely]

RE: Unit Facing Control

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:18 pm
by Jason Petho
ORIGINAL: Deputy

I use armor facing even against the comp. Sometimes I need every advantage I can get [:)]
If anyone has ever played WinSPWW2, they have an interesting system....whenever a unit takes fire from an enemy unit, it immediately faces in that units direction. Armor facing is ALWAYS implemented whether against computer or another player. I don't know if a system like that could be implemented in the Campaign Series, but it sure would be neat [:D]

Dep

While a good idea, that would be far to easy to abuse in the Campaign Series.

Jason Petho

RE: Unit Facing Control

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:20 pm
by Jason Petho
ORIGINAL: cyberwop36
As a ex-Armoured Cav. Officer, and have actually commnaded a armoured platoon in the field I do know better than to expose my units [:D]
[unless she askes nicely]

*laughs*

Well that's good.

I would recommend finding a human opponent or two for a real challenge though. The AI isn't too swift.

Jason Petho