Page 1 of 1

You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:18 pm
by tgb
If some kind soul who has played the board game would post a hand holding walk through for the first three or four turns. Good as Raleigh's tips are, they still assume more familiarity with the game than some of us have.

SO far all I've managed to do is launch it and learn a bit of the interface. I'd like to get more play time in while reading the manual.

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:20 pm
by jjax
Agreed[&o][&o][&o][&o]

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:20 pm
by sprior
Yes, if I could actually see it in the store to buy...

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:22 pm
by Bluestew0
In the time it would take someone to write up a guide, you'd already have finished reading the manual and be well in to your first game. :) However, I have no doubt guides will be forthcoming in the near future.

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:26 pm
by Bluestew0
ORIGINAL: sprior

Yes, if I could actually see it in the store to buy...


http://www.matrixgames.com/games/store.asp?gid=285

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:28 pm
by Erik Rutins
This is a game where I would definitely suggest reading the manual first, then playing, just FYI.

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:39 pm
by tgb
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

This is a game where I would definitely suggest reading the manual first, then playing, just FYI.


Obviously, Erik, nobody has explained the concept of "instant gratification" to you. What kind of an American are you?[:D]

Actually I'm thinking the approach to take would be to blunder through a game while reading and re-reading about each phase as it is played. Make sense?

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:39 pm
by sprior
Thanks Blue. Got it.

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:40 pm
by Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: tgb
Obviously, Erik, nobody has explained the concept of "instant gratification" to you. What kind of an American are you?[:D]
Actually I'm thinking the approach to take would be to blunder through a game while reading and re-reading about each phase as it is played. Make sense?

Well, to be honest, this is a case of "do as I say, not as I do". [;)]

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:40 pm
by sprior
ORIGINAL: tgb

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

This is a game where I would definitely suggest reading the manual first, then playing, just FYI.


Obviously, Erik, nobody has explained the concept of "instant gratification" to you. What kind of an American are you?[:D]

Actually I'm thinking the approach to take would be to blunder through a game while reading and re-reading about each phase as it is played. Make sense?

A real PC gamer!

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:49 pm
by igor7111
Some kind of a tutorial just to get noobs feet wet (especially those that never
played the board game and havent a clue) would be really really nice.

Having TRIED to get through a turn by now, I stand by my statement
that even a one turn tutorial would have been immensely helpful.
This is a bear to figure out. I must be getting to old for this.

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:17 pm
by PunkReaper
This is a game where I would definitely suggest reading the manual first, then playing, just FYI

You mean I've waited all day and now I have to read the manual as well......could you not read it for me and then just condense it down to one page please

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:30 pm
by MarshallEllis
Ok, here goes...
 
Play as France and don't try to defeat Great Britain's navy and don't try to invade Russia.
 
 

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:42 pm
by zenmaster
It's not for beginners, but I always loved the Turks.
Can't keep those dang militia like units down.

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:18 am
by Mynok

I've always been partial to the Turks as well. They have lots of diplomatic opportunities, and if they can work out setting up the Ottoman Empire (that IS in the game I hope!), they can address their serious funding problems. High risk, high reward is obviously the key to their low morale armies winning, but when they do....talk about pursuit!!



RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:16 pm
by therockyfroggy
Here's a very good article on grand strategy for the game, giving noobies a good overall idea of what to possible do and possibly not to do, expecially against those who are already adept at the game.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah ... h20030801a

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:49 pm
by igor7111
excellent rockyfrog, just really excellent.   thank you thank you.

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:02 pm
by Mynok

I remember reading the first printing. Age sucks. [8|] [:D]

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:22 am
by donkuchi19
ORIGINAL: Mynok


I've always been partial to the Turks as well. They have lots of diplomatic opportunities, and if they can work out setting up the Ottoman Empire (that IS in the game I hope!), they can address their serious funding problems. High risk, high reward is obviously the key to their low morale armies winning, but when they do....talk about pursuit!!



In Beta, I kept getting stuck with the Turks because I hate bidding high for any of the powers. I've learned to play them a bit better, but I don't consider myself and expert by any means.

RE: You Know What Would Be Nice?

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:19 am
by Grognot
...and if you're Austria, try to make an alliance (or informal NAPs, if multiplayer), because the odds are pretty decent that somebody's already planning to make you a target.  Similar goes for Prussia -- nice army, but if France DoW's and Russia and Austria opportunistically join in, you've got some problems.

UK is probably first or second easiest for a newbie from the POV of survival -- so long as you control the Channel with Nelson and your fleet, and preferably blockade the French fleets ASAP, the French corps shouldn't be walking over.  There's also decent diplomatic prospects with Sweden.  Achieving domination instead of survival isn't as simple, but at least you're not likely to die fast, even against human players.

One of the smaller, more limited scenarios might have been good to include -- 1812 Campaign, for instance, might teach about foraging and supply, while letting diplomacy be a minor aspect.  :D :D