Page 1 of 2

CP supply in the late game

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:06 am
by Disintegration
Since going to 1.2 I've had games go longer than they ever did vs. the old do-nothing AI (and yay for that!) I've noticed something that I hadn't encountered before: playing as the CP, starting sometime around late 1916 or early 1917, after causing either a Russian or French surrender, the supply level of all CP hexes suddenly drops dramatically. Front-line hexes often go to 5% or less and even cities in Germany drop to no higher than 51%. Hexes Germany has always controlled, like those along the 1914 border with France, drop to about 25-30%. Ditto for the AH Empire. This makes it next to impossible to continue attacking the remaining continental enemies.

You can see the effects in the screenshot with Metz at 32% supply and the German units all stuck at low readiness.

This doesn't seem to happen with the TE - their units continue to attack with a readiness of 8 and 9 while all mine except new reinforcements are stuck at 0 through 5 or 6.

Has anyone else noticed this? Did it happen with earlier versions and I didn't notice it? And is it a bug or intentional? Is it a result of something going on with the CP economies? Is there any way to prevent it?

It seems rather ahistorical given what the Germans were able to do on the Western Front in 1918.


Image

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:52 pm
by boogada
Yes we had this problem in a game, and thats why we have no updated to 1.21. Frank Hunter has been informed.

Its covered here I think:

tm.asp?m=1636820

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:37 pm
by Disintegration
ORIGINAL: boogada

Yes we had this problem in a game, and thats why we have no updated to 1.21. Frank Hunter has been informed.

Its covered here I think:

tm.asp?m=1636820

Yup, it must be the food supply. Thanks for helping!

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:04 pm
by FrankHunter
I have a save of a supply issue concerning the city of Athens (fixed) but if there's other supply issues please tell me and I will check them out asap.  Thanks!


RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:29 pm
by Lascar
ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

I have a save of a supply issue concerning the city of Athens (fixed) but if there's other supply issues please tell me and I will check them out asap. Thanks!

Frank,
Thanks for the quick response to the Athens issue I sent you. I have another question related to supply. If the British and Russian link up in Mesopotamia creating a line of communications (controlled hexes) between them shouldn't the British be able to send industrial points and other resources to Russia. In a game I am currently playing the link up occurred but no option to send resource/industrial points to Russia appeared in the transfer option during the Strategic phase.

Also I found the British supply dropping to single digit values as they advanced further into Mesopotamia towards Baghdad even though the British had a line of controlled hexes going back to Basra. Is this intended?

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:00 pm
by FrankHunter
Also I found the British supply dropping to single digit values as they advanced further into Mesopotamia towards Baghdad even though the British had a line of controlled hexes going back to Basra. Is this intended?

Yes, those hexes have low supply values so the supply percentage drops pretty quick.  Makes it easy for the Turks to defend away from the sea.
shouldn't the British be able to send industrial points and other resources to Russia

I've never tried that but I would think so as long as the sea zones between Britain and the Eastern Med was controlled.  I would have to test an actual example though.

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:05 pm
by hjaco
I can confirm that it is not possible to send economic aid to Russia that way. Technically as the rule is it should be possible but if viewed realistically I think it is just fine as it is. How in earth should the help get through that God forsaken terrain ?

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:24 pm
by boogada
British aid would rather go through Persia. At least it did in WWII. But in much smaller scala than the supplies via Murmansk. 

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:44 pm
by Lascar
ORIGINAL: hjaco

I can confirm that it is not possible to send economic aid to Russia that way. Technically as the rule is it should be possible but if viewed realistically I think it is just fine as it is. How in earth should the help get through that God forsaken terrain ?

So other than opening up the Dardanelles there is no way to get aid through to Russia?

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:18 pm
by SMK-at-work
ORIGINAL: boogada

British aid would rather go through Persia. At least it did in WWII. But in much smaller scala than the supplies via Murmansk. 

About as much LL went through Persia as Murmansk, but most British aid went through Murmansk.

50% of LL went through Vladivostock. Somewhere I had a nice graphic map showing the relative volumes but I can't find it jsut now - I'll go look....[edit] - see http://www.geocities.com/zimbobone/Refrences.html

To ship aid through Persia in WW2 the allies had to upgrade construct the required infrastriucture - especially railroads - I suspect they didn't even exist in WW1.

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:36 pm
by boogada
From a book I read recently about Russia in WWII I got the impression that the line via Persia only handled like 1/4 of the amounts that took the northern route via arctic convoys. 

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:39 pm
by SMK-at-work
You might have misread it - Iran transited roughly 1/4 of the total.

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:47 pm
by SMK-at-work

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:01 pm
by boogada
Hmm I just checked and it says that at one point the Allies offered ~8.8 million tons, but could only ship about half of it at that point (Oct. 1942) and 3.3. took the northern route and 1.1. the southern. Vladivostok is not mentioned, I guess because at that time the Japaneese had control of that area. The total numbers might be different if you look at the whole period (-1945), because the southern and far eastern routes got more reliable after the construction of infrastructure and the American offensives in the Pacific.

I refer to "Absolute War" by Chris Bellamy.

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:17 pm
by SMK-at-work
The Japanese never controlled Vladivostok - but only non-military supplies were sent that way because it would have been quite vulnerable had hte Japs changed their mind.
 
the Vlaivostok route was serviced by Soviet flagged ships sailing directly from the USA. 
 
The USACE (US Army Corps of Engineers) site I link to above says that 4 million tons of military supplies went through Iran, and this was the majority of military supplies

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:00 am
by SMK-at-work
finally found the site I was looking for - http://www.o5m6.de/Routes.html - it has info on types of LL and how much of each was shipped by which routes for various time periods down to monthly - fascinating stuff....at least it is for me :)

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:37 am
by hjaco
ORIGINAL: Lascar

ORIGINAL: hjaco

I can confirm that it is not possible to send economic aid to Russia that way. Technically as the rule is it should be possible but if viewed realistically I think it is just fine as it is. How in earth should the help get through that God forsaken terrain ?

So other than opening up the Dardanelles there is no way to get aid through to Russia?

You need control of Constantinopel.

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:20 pm
by Lascar
ORIGINAL: hjaco

ORIGINAL: Lascar

ORIGINAL: hjaco

I can confirm that it is not possible to send economic aid to Russia that way. Technically as the rule is it should be possible but if viewed realistically I think it is just fine as it is. How in earth should the help get through that God forsaken terrain ?

So other than opening up the Dardanelles there is no way to get aid through to Russia?

You need control of Constantinopel.
Yes, but is there any other way to get aid to Russia other than controlling Constantinople. Through the Baltic for instance.

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:44 pm
by wargamer123
I haven't gone the Baltic Trade Route with the Russians, I think it's pretty dangerous with the HSF


Though I've read about a player supplying Russia a bit this way, seems perilious, also I don't recall there ever being much of a Western ET presence in the Baltic because it's hard to get into without Denmark's cooperation...

RE: CP supply in the late game

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:46 pm
by hjaco
You can't enter the Baltic with the Entente except for SUBS.

You need control of Constantinople so you either have to go through the desert, make a new Gallipoli or go through the Balkan.