Page 1 of 2

OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:30 pm
by Mike Solli
I just heard that Gary Gygax died today at 69. [:(]

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:06 am
by histgamer
[&:][&:][&:] sorry who is that?

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:10 am
by BrucePowers
One of the creators of D & D.[:(]

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:15 am
by blam0
HUGE loss to the gaming community...if not this one specifically. 

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:23 am
by Halsey
ORIGINAL: flanyboy

[&:][&:][&:] sorry who is that?

The creator of Dungeons and Dragons.

I still have an original set of the miniatures rules.
Chainmail and D&D.[:D]

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:30 am
by Cuttlefish
Few people have had more influence on gaming - he and Dave Arneson virtually invented the RPG genre. Farewell, Gary, you will be missed. I'll roll some dice tonight in your honor.

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:28 am
by bradfordkay
May the gods welcome you with open arms, Gary.

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:23 am
by rockmedic109
I still have the original three books as well.  Tucked away in my safe.  Might not be worth much even in mint condition, but they bring memories and did much to shape my hobbies and off time.  You were quite an influence in my life.  So long, Gary.

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:59 am
by ilovestrategy
I still have the original manual and modules. I has many a funfilled weekend thanks to that man. You have not lived until you have ventured into the Tomb Of Horrors!

He was a HUGE influence on my life. I will miss him deeply.

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:48 am
by DuckofTindalos
I don't know if I'll "miss" the man, seeing as how I didn't know him, but I also had lots of fun with RPG'ing in the D&D worlds.

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:01 am
by cantona2
The father of D&D

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:34 pm
by Cavalry Corp
We all failed at school because of D+D - that lead me to an interest in fantasy LOTR etc and in fact I am also writing a fantasy novel at the moment in between work and PBEM WITP

Michael

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:05 pm
by Charbroiled
He must have failed his "saving throw".[:(]

Great man that influenced even the computer gaming world as we know it today.[&o]

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:49 pm
by niceguy2005
ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

May the gods welcome you with open arms, Gary.
and award you a Sword of Smiting, +6 against evil, +12 against lawyers. [:D]

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:57 pm
by rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

May the gods welcome you with open arms, Gary.
and award you a Sword of Smiting, +6 against evil, +12 against lawyers. [:D]

Come on, if he is going to Heaven, what are the odds he's going to meet up with lawyers? [:'(]

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:00 pm
by Mike Solli
[:D]

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:04 pm
by niceguy2005
ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

May the gods welcome you with open arms, Gary.
and award you a Sword of Smiting, +6 against evil, +12 against lawyers. [:D]

Come on, if he is going to Heaven, what are the odds he's going to meet up with lawyers? [:'(]
I wouldn't put it beyond the class action lawyers to try and figure our a way to still subpeona him. [:D]

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:52 pm
by USSAmerica
I missed this news yesterday.  [:(]
 
I am still a big fan of 1st Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.  Hours and sometimes weekends were lost to AD&D when I was single, even if I was just reading and working on my own fantasy world.  That would have to be increased to weeks of my teenage years lost in fantasy worlds inspired by Gary Gygax.  [8D]
 
Farewell, Gary, and thanks!

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:25 pm
by Nikademus
Any wizards high enough level to cast a ressurection spell? [:(]

sad news......I enjoyed a bit of D&D myself and loved the Baldur's Gate and Eye of the Beholder Series

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:29 pm
by DuckofTindalos
That's a priest spell, LogBrain...[:'(]

Oh Dear, my inner D&D geek just had Animate Dead cast upon him...[:D]