Page 1 of 1

windows vista

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:11 am
by afspret
will this game run under windows vista?

RE: windows vista

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:36 pm
by decaro
ORIGINAL: afspret

will this game run under windows vista?

Honestly, does any game work well under Vista?

RE: windows vista

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:01 pm
by tocaff
Another money making beta foisted on the public by Micro$oft. My hat's off to Mrs. Gates, Allen and the gang as they manage to squash, bury or steal new advances that threaten their empire. In the past a company that did what they do would be severely punished and yet they continue to thumb their nose at the laws, courts and governent agencies. Imagine us accepting products that crash, etc in our everyday lives....

RE: windows vista

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:09 pm
by decaro
Europe recently fined MS for its non-competitive business practices, i.e., bundling, etc.

In retrospect, however, I'm amazed at all the PC critics who gave glowing reviews of Vista w/all it's Inet capabilities, but apparently never ran a single game on this OS "pig".

RE: windows vista

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:31 pm
by tocaff
Europe has hit M$ before and the M$ lawyers continue to do battle while it's business as usual under at best a veil.  The company strikes me as nothing short of arrogant.  They steal from other companies, (a rather long list of victims) for example Lotus 123 became Excel with a few cosmetic differences, and get away with it.  Meanwhile I've never seen a company so vigorously pursue people for having a pirate copy of M$ software.  They also play the game of a new OS and not supporting it for hardware as in a M$ joystick I had that worked fine for Win98 but no new drivers for WinXP.  I hate all things M$.

RE: windows vista

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:46 pm
by decaro
This MS discussion probably isn't helping the guy who originally started this thread, but I have Win XP and run UV as Win 98, otherwise it loads very slowly and doesn't seem to work as well.

I'm assuming UV can also run via retro compatibility mode on Vista, and since this game doesn't have high-end graphics, it shouldn't run slowly on whatever Vista version you have. The only complaints I've heard re Vista's slow frame rate is from real-time on-line gamers, and UV is only PBEM.

Todd, get a Mac! But then you'd have to buy a Windows sim program to play all the Windows-only compatible games, to include UV and every other Matrix title!

Let's face it: it's a Windows world. However, most XP owners are not upgrading to Vista; what does that tell you re the new MS OP syst?

RE: windows vista

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:11 pm
by Nomad
Yes, to answer the OP, UV should run using Vista - but you might have to jump through some hoops and sacrifice a virgin or two. I just bought a new computer and there was no way I would let them even think about putting Vista on it - I stuck with XP.

RE: windows vista

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:18 am
by OG_Gleep
Only one hoop. The setup needed to be set in winxp sp2 compatibility mode. Other then that it works a.o.k. I have it installed on both a desktop, and what I have been playing on, a laptop. Both needed the setup changed, and both ran the actual game with 0 issues.

I can alt-tab out fine, which is huge, as I have run into serious problems alt-tabbing out of older games in vista.

Know this is hella late. Thought I'd post as it appears no one who participated had a vista box, or atleast one with UV on it.

I have only one significant complaint about vista. It has issues managing memory, leading to out of memory errors (when there is plenty), and serious issues when a game accesses higher then 2 GB, or 1.6x can't remember. Other then that its been fine.

RE: windows vista

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:30 pm
by tocaff
Why do we, the public, accept shoddy programming?  We demand more in all other aspects of our lives, yet with computer programming we accept less.  Imagine what we're up against once M$ stops supporting WindowsXP and you're stuck with an issues ridden Vista.  

RE: windows vista

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:01 am
by OG_Gleep
I have been tinkering with games to get them to work since you had to write a autoexec.bat and config.sys for every game. I have a much higher threshold then most people. I am also not one of those "woah is M$ for writing a pos that I have to use every day". OSs are pretty complicated. Macs only get the user friendly stamp because they only have to write for a limited hardware set and have 10% of the market, meaning 90% less dumb-a$$e$ who screw up their pcs.
 
In any case, I will likely buy their next os tho probably not until after SP1. Only reason I jumped on the vista bandwagon early is dx10 which was a bit of a waste. Still would rather be able to have the choice then not. If all the issues really bothered me I'd get off my lazy arse and duel boot...which I would have done a few years ago when I was performance crazy (one of my systems had 18 fans all positioned for the most efficent airflow...*sigh*). Now if it doesn't crash, I don't fix it.

RE: windows vista

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:17 pm
by fuelli
I´ve got Vista since Feb 2007. UV was the first game I installed[:D]
It worked from the get go with out any problems.
Its not always the OS fault that things do not work right I think....