Page 1 of 4

Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:14 am
by Stele
I've wondered. I know this game is pretty in depth and it tends to make you feel like you're a real arm chair "admiral."

How far have some of you gone to enhance your realism? I've printed the map and use a white board on my wall while jotting down a few notes here and there. If I miss a few days of game play I can always refer back to my white board when I come in the room. That's probably very mild; I could do more.

However, what have you done to enhance your realism with this game; do you have a captain's cabin for a room? Share with us.

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:55 am
by USSAmerica
Not sure if I qualify as a hardcore WitP player, but I do think any WitP player is a hard core wargamer.  [:D]
 
I don't know about enhancing realism, but I use both WitP Utility and WitP Decoder, and I keep a MS Word doc with my ongoing notes by region, and a spreadsheet that I use to track what units are allowed which kind of replacements. 
 
I also have the Stock WitP game map as my laptop wallpaper.  It looks awesome on the 21 inch digital flat screen that I connect to at work.  [8D]

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:03 am
by BrucePowers
I think that qualifies as hardcore[:D]

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:53 am
by rockmedic109
I was going to have my stepdaughter's room made into a WITP room.  Complete with Computer table, Internet connection, laminated WITP map on the wall with a tray of dry erase pens so I could write little meaningless arrows all over the map and notes on the wall.
 
Then my commanding officer canned the idea.  Seems the room will be needed for a little chinese girl we are adopting.  Maybe I can teach her how to play WITP and still get the room?
 
But I am not hardcore.  If I was hardcore, I would have instigated a mutiny and deposed my commanding officer and continued with my plans.  But her Admin rating was too high and I could not succeed and her Inspiration rating is high enough that I forgot any plans of mutiny.

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:03 pm
by Gem35
I have a really big corncob pipe and before each turn I recite " I have returned!"
But seriously, I do keep plenty of notes on several tablets I keep on my desk. Sure have gone through plenty of pencils.[;)]
Sometimes I read the AARs to help me set the mood.

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:11 pm
by rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: Gem35

I have a really big corncob pipe and before each turn I recite " I have returned!"
But seriously, I do keep plenty of notes on several tablets I keep on my desk. Sure have gone through plenty of pencils.[;)]
Sometimes I read the AARs to help me set the mood.
Bah - wimps! i break the water pipes in the wall and set the room on fire whenever i lose a ship!! [:'(]

it does tend to breed a sense of caution... [8|] [:D]

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:05 pm
by Panther Bait
I have multiple spreadsheets, notebooks, and word documents with notes on troops, planes, etc. available.  I set up OOB charts tracking which divisions are under which Corps/Army HQ.  I also have another set for Japanese production.  I track some other information (upgrades, etc.) in WitP Decoder.  I printed out a large version of the map (24" x 36") but I don't have the room to hang it up yet. 
 
What I really want with my next computer upgrade (soon hopefully) is dual monitors so I can have WitP open on one screen, and Excel/Word open on the other.  That should make taking notes a lot easier.  My computer desk isn't really big enough to put my laptop and my desktop on (my current "dual monitor" solution).

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:43 pm
by Mike Solli
ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

I have multiple spreadsheets, notebooks, and word documents with notes on troops, planes, etc. available.  I set up OOB charts tracking which divisions are under which Corps/Army HQ.  I also have another set for Japanese production.  I track some other information (upgrades, etc.) in WitP Decoder.  I printed out a large version of the map (24" x 36") but I don't have the room to hang it up yet. 

What I really want with my next computer upgrade (soon hopefully) is dual monitors so I can have WitP open on one screen, and Excel/Word open on the other.  That should make taking notes a lot easier.  My computer desk isn't really big enough to put my laptop and my desktop on (my current "dual monitor" solution).

Much the same here, but I don't have a map on the wall. When possible, I play the game on the desktop and have my spreadsheets on the laptop.

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:54 pm
by BrucePowers
ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

I was going to have my stepdaughter's room made into a WITP room.  Complete with Computer table, Internet connection, laminated WITP map on the wall with a tray of dry erase pens so I could write little meaningless arrows all over the map and notes on the wall.

Then my commanding officer canned the idea.  Seems the room will be needed for a little chinese girl we are adopting.  Maybe I can teach her how to play WITP and still get the room?

But I am not hardcore.  If I was hardcore, I would have instigated a mutiny and deposed my commanding officer and continued with my plans.  But her Admin rating was too high and I could not succeed and her Inspiration rating is high enough that I forgot any plans of mutiny.

Ah, it seems the commanding officer also commands a high degree of loyalty. Very good[8D]


RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:55 pm
by BrucePowers
ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

ORIGINAL: Gem35

I have a really big corncob pipe and before each turn I recite " I have returned!"
But seriously, I do keep plenty of notes on several tablets I keep on my desk. Sure have gone through plenty of pencils.[;)]
Sometimes I read the AARs to help me set the mood.
Bah - wimps! i break the water pipes in the wall and set the room on fire whenever i lose a ship!! [:'(]

it does tend to breed a sense of caution... [8|] [:D]

So what did you do when you lost those 3 DDs?[:D]

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:58 pm
by Speedysteve
Wekll the Living Room, Study and Kitchen are buggered[;)]

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:58 pm
by Charbroiled
ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

ORIGINAL: Gem35

I have a really big corncob pipe and before each turn I recite " I have returned!"
But seriously, I do keep plenty of notes on several tablets I keep on my desk. Sure have gone through plenty of pencils.[;)]
Sometimes I read the AARs to help me set the mood.
Bah - wimps! i break the water pipes in the wall and set the room on fire whenever i lose a ship!! [:'(]

it does tend to breed a sense of caution... [8|] [:D]

I hope you never lose a sub.[X(]

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:59 pm
by Speedysteve
He won't I control them all[;)]

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:23 pm
by Mike Solli
ORIGINAL: Speedy

He won't I control them all[;)]

Now share and share alike, youngin' [:-] [:D]

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:24 pm
by Speedysteve
I share Mike. I share....surely your captains can confirm that from the torpedoes i'm sharing?[:'(]

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:25 pm
by Mike Solli
Pffft...........................Dink!

Edit: [:D]

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:26 pm
by DuckofTindalos
He cheats, you know...[:'(] BTW, are you EVER going to slouch your way to 10,000?[:'(]

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:30 pm
by Speedysteve
ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Pffft...........................Dink!

Edit: [:D]

Tell that to the numerous AK/AP and other irrelevant Meatball ships you've lost in 3 months of war...PPPPPPPFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTT KABLAMMO![:'(]

And to think that over 1/2 of my subs force has been inactive from War Patrol perspective from war's start. Wait until they really get going[:'(]

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:32 pm
by Speedysteve
ORIGINAL: Terminus

He cheats, you know...[:'(] BTW, are you EVER going to slouch your way to 10,000?[:'(]

Jelous[:'(]

Sure in my own time Spamoid[:'(]

RE: Question for the hardcore

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:43 pm
by Mike Solli
ORIGINAL: Terminus

He cheats, you know...[:'(] BTW, are you EVER going to slouch your way to 10,000?[:'(]

I'm working on it. <Insert hurt looking smilie here> [:'(]