Page 1 of 1

Does matrixgames have anything for Ubuntu/Linux?

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:30 pm
by marcusm
Just installed it and It's amazingly well done. In my book Linux is very close to breaking through on desktops with this one. I don't even know what 8.0.4 brings to the table.

Would it be possible for Matrixgames to convert anything? Would be fun to buy just to support both entities :).


RE: Does matrixgames have anything for Ubuntu/Linux?

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:52 pm
by Erik Rutins
Not at present, but we've heard from customers who have had luck getting several of our games to run in Linux using Windows emulators.

RE: Does matrixgames have anything for Ubuntu/Linux?

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:59 am
by JeF
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
[...] using Windows emulators.

WINE Is Not an Emulator. [;)]

FYI, HTTR and COTA reportedly work under Wine.

Cheers,

JeF.

RE: Does matrixgames have anything for Ubuntu/Linux?

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:14 am
by marcusm
I understand that but I was hoping for something native. I use win and linux and
will in fact use a third when I get my MBP so it's just fun having cool stuff to try :).



RE: Does matrixgames have anything for Ubuntu/Linux?

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:38 am
by Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: JeF
WINE Is Not an Emulator. [;)]

Uh-oh, we're in a recursion loop! [:D]

RE: Does matrixgames have anything for Ubuntu/Linux?

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:23 pm
by marcusm
Well. At least consider in the future. I understand it's all based on marketability and
profitability but I am willing to pay a bit more just to support choice. Same with OSX in fact.

Btw. Do you develop(or your partners) any of the games using frameworks like those from Trolltech?
I am going to try them out myself some day. I am not a huge C++ guy but it's always fun to learn new
stuff.

RE: Does matrixgames have anything for Ubuntu/Linux?

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:49 pm
by Deride
ORIGINAL: marcusm
Well. At least consider in the future. I understand it's all based on marketability and
profitability but I am willing to pay a bit more just to support choice. Same with OSX in fact.

I couldn't speak for any other developers, but I wouldn't hold my breath for much native to Linux. There are only a handful of games for Mac, and that is a much larger marketshare compared with Linux (when it comes to personal desktop / gaming.)

Deride

RE: Does matrixgames have anything for Ubuntu/Linux?

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:01 pm
by sabre100
I agree with Deride,  I was a big Linux Fan but gave it up many years ago so many usless distros and they are one and the same and all trying to be like and mimic Windows so much so what is the point then just get XP as that is what all Linux Distros are trying to clone more and more.  I also have Mac OS x on Apple hardware and even though the OS is better still lacks many software options.   The only good unix OS is Solaris in IMO and Mac OS X, however to get any use out of an OS Windows XP is it as it has majority if not all the games and applications out there.

RE: Does matrixgames have anything for Ubuntu/Linux?

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:26 am
by marcusm
Possibly but I think Ubuntu is about to change all that. All it took was one man with a vision.