Page 1 of 2

RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:59 am
by Erik Rutins
Use this thread for questions related to editing the Random Campaign Generator Files.

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:48 am
by Mraah
Stridor,

Ok ... I've read the manual ... I'm stuck ... see screen shot.

Question ... How can I add a scenario to list circled in red?
Question ... How can I edit a scenario from the list circled in red?

EDIT NOTE : I want to make my own scenario to use in this list.

I've looked in the scenario editor and it's not there ( German Winter 41 (attack) - 1st Pzr Div )
I've looked for an XML file with that name, no luck.

[&:]

Also, suggestion ... The Replacements button needs pull down default menu's for Historical/Increased/Generous/Maximum ... I had to reference the other campaign's to find out what goes it what field.

Thanks !!

Rob
Image

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:10 am
by Stridor
If you press the little S (tick) button with a battle plan selected then that will be added to the sequence list.

You can double click on the battle plan once it has been loaded into the sequence list to edit its xml. This will load up the battle plan xml into whatever you have defined to load the xml file extension (eg notepad, xml notepad 2007, etc).

This is if you are in random campaign mode. In the "normal" campaign mode you add fixed scenarios (not battle plans) to the sequence list and when you dbl click on them it loads them up into the scenario editor.

There is no Battle plan editor as such, just raw xml edits but it should be pretty easy to work out.

If you want to add a brand new battle plan just copy one of the old ones over in the Data/Battles directory.


So just to be clear. Fixed campaigns use scenarios. Random campaigns use battle plans.

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:17 am
by Mraah
ORIGINAL: Stridor
You can double click on the battle plan once it has been loaded into the sequence list to edit its xml. This will load up the battle plan xml into whatever you have defined to load the xml file extension (eg notepad, xml notepad 2007, etc).

Ahhh, that was my problem.
There is no Battle plan editor as such, just raw xml edits but it should be pretty easy to work out.

Not a problem, I like raw data [:)]
If you want to add a brand new battle plan just copy one of the old ones over in the Data/Battles directory.
Dang it ... never occured to me to look in the battles folder ...[>:] Doh!!

Much appreciate your fast reply!!
Back to the drawing board ...
Rob

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:36 am
by Mraah
You can double click on the battle plan once it has been loaded into the sequence list to edit its xml. This will load up the battle plan xml into whatever you have defined to load the xml file extension (eg notepad, xml notepad 2007, etc).

Hmm, double clicking not working ... where can I define to load the xml extension? I'm using xml notepad 2007.

No problem loading it up seperately from explorer.

Rob

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:10 am
by Stridor
ORIGINAL: Mraah

You can double click on the battle plan once it has been loaded into the sequence list to edit its xml. This will load up the battle plan xml into whatever you have defined to load the xml file extension (eg notepad, xml notepad 2007, etc).

Hmm, double clicking not working ... where can I define to load the xml extension? I'm using xml notepad 2007.

No problem loading it up seperately from explorer.

Rob

Hmmm, I don't know why that would be. I have checked it and it works ok for me. What happens if you double click an xml file in explorer, what program loads it? Try also clicking on the edit xml function in the specs sheet of a unit in the scenario editor and see if that works because it uses the same mechanism.

I have noticed that sometimes xml notepad 2007 can sometimes take an "age" to load. So try giving it a little time and see what happens.

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:26 am
by Mraah
What happens if you double click an xml file in explorer, what program loads it?


Yes, xml notepad.

Try also clicking on the edit xml function in the specs sheet of a unit in the scenario editor and see if that works because it uses the same mechanism. I have noticed that sometimes xml notepad 2007 can sometimes take an "age" to load. So try giving it a little time and see what happens.

Nope. I waited 5 minutes. I tried again in the RCG, nope.

I'm going to put another quarter in the slot and see ... nope [:)].

Rob

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:45 am
by Stridor
Just as a hunch, try setting up xmls to be opened by IE and then try double clicking again.

Otherwise I don't know?

Try opening a fixed campaign and double clicking on a scenario, that should take you to the scenario editor. Does that work?

If you click on the unit edit button in the specs window in the editor does that allow you to edit the xml?

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 pm
by Mraah
ORIGINAL: Stridor

Just as a hunch, try setting up xmls to be opened by IE and then try double clicking again.

Otherwise I don't know?

Try opening a fixed campaign and double clicking on a scenario, that should take you to the scenario editor. Does that work?

If you click on the unit edit button in the specs window in the editor does that allow you to edit the xml?

Hmmm, when IE is the opener it prompts me about running Active X ... I can view it though.

I know in the security options it won't run Unsigned Active X. Is that what RCG or RBG is doing?

Rob

EDIT NOTE : see screen shot



Image

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:56 pm
by Mraah
By the way ... speaking of ActiveX ...

I'm running the Scenario Editor and the manual states that if I press button (7), I can view the terrain in 3D ... which I tried and it does not.

The manual states on page 12 ... "On the first time the Scenario editor is run you will be asked to install an activeX component. Please ensure that you do so for maximum editor functionality".

It did not ask me to install an activeX component when first ran program.

Thanks again for your support!

Rob

EDIT NORE : Maybe there needs to be a SceneXML for the template ... just guessing, the Winter L5W has none, I think.

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:02 pm
by Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: Mraah
I'm running the Scenario Editor and the manual states that if I press button (7), I can view the terrain in 3D ... which I tried and it does not.

It does, but chances are if you have the map maximized that it's hidden behind it. Try zooming out of the main map, then click on it and drag it to the side, you should see the 3D version behind it.

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:07 pm
by Mraah
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
It does, but chances are if you have the map maximized that it's hidden behind it. Try zooming out of the main map, then click on it and drag it to the side, you should see the 3D version behind it.

Ok ... Good morning Erik [:)] . You caught me by surspise ... read my post again, edit note ...

This does work for Karkov maps ... I'm using the Winter L5W map, which appears to need the sceneXMl for it to view 3D.

Thanks for quick reply!

Rob

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:12 pm
by Erik Rutins
Aha, that may be true - I'm not sure why that scene file would not be there, let me find out.

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:41 pm
by Romeo13
OK, searched throught the multiple XML files pretty well...

Just where can you modify the base Core Units to build a random Campaign?

I don't see a unit list anywhere except in the already generated random scenario files, and I'd really like to build a Tank Destroyer unit...

Thanks

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:56 pm
by Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: Romeo13
OK, searched throught the multiple XML files pretty well...
Just where can you modify the base Core Units to build a random Campaign?
I don't see a unit list anywhere except in the already generated random scenario files, and I'd really like to build a Tank Destroyer unit...

In the Battle Plans, which are found in the /Data/Battles folder. Your core units are determined as those that show up in the very first battle of the random campaign (and that's why the first battle plan is always set to the first date and set as a "key" battle in the Campaign Editor).

To add to or change a core force for a campaign or create a new campaign with a new core force, you need to make sure of the following:

1. Each unit in your core force shows up in the first scenario in the campaign
2. Each unit in your core force shows up in every later scenario in some form, even if as a late reinforcement, as long as it's in the list

This will allow your core units to follow along and keep continuity as far as their experience, medals, abilities, kills, etc.

Regards,

- Erik

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:01 pm
by Romeo13
Thanks, got it...

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:33 pm
by WhiteOwl
Just a quick one, what is the "multiplier" attribute in the "replacement" tag used for?

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:32 am
by Mraah
ORIGINAL: WhiteOwl

Just a quick one, what is the "multiplier" attribute in the "replacement" tag used for?


Multiplier is the % value of total core points given for replacements from hqhelp.

Example ... historical .4 / 2 hqhelp means 40% of core points given as replacements .... 2 chances to ask for help.

Rob

EDIT NOTE : Description found in the Random Campaign and Battle Generator manual, p. 8, 2nd paragraph.

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:11 am
by WhiteOwl
Thanks for that, I missed that in the manual, did a search for "multiplier" but came up empty...

RE: RCG Editing Questions

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:35 am
by Mraah
ORIGINAL: WhiteOwl

Thanks for that, I missed that in the manual, did a search for "multiplier" but came up empty...

Your welcome!! I know how you feel ... I couldn't even find the reference again, at first when I posted.

I know the answer is buried in there somewhere!! ... I kept telling myself. hehe

Rob