Page 1 of 1

More hardware woes

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:16 pm
by JudgeDredd
It seems my hardware woes aren't quite over yet.

Everything is back up and running regarding my initial problem, but it appears I have a Windows/keyboard issue.

When I boot my machine up, I cannot use the keyboard. I then have to go to device manager and update the drivers on the keyboard (which are showing a yeallow exclamation mark). When I do this, I can use the computer (it may need rebooting...I can't remember).

However, when I next power off the system, and power back up, I get the same issue.

I have tried uninstalling the keyboard and rebooting and then trying to install again. Which works in so far as I get to install the drivers for it...but it doesn't stay that way...when I next shut down and power up, same issue.

Sometimes it shows as having a standard 102-106 keyboard, other times it shows I have Easy Internet keyboard. I actually have a Logitech Deluxe Access keyboard.

Right at this particular moment in time, it shows I have an Easy Internet Keyboard (106 Key CTRL-Caps)

I know, for a fact, when I reboot this machine, I will not be able to use the keyboard and when I look at device manager, it will show a yellow exclamation mark at the Easy Internet Keyboard (106 Key CTRL-Caps) entry.

Any ideas...this is driving me nuts!

RE: More hardware woes

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:27 pm
by Jeffrey H.
It sounds a bit like your PS may have taken the MOBO with it when it cooked off.
 

RE: More hardware woes

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:29 pm
by TAIL GUNNER
Try a PS/2 to USB converter, and plug the keyboard into a USB port...

Maybe your PS/2 port went wonky....[&:]

RE: More hardware woes

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:45 pm
by JudgeDredd
Nah. I did think about getting a USB keyboard. However, I am sure this is a software issue. If I boot the computer up in safe mode, the keyboard works EVERYTIME!

RE: More hardware woes

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:01 pm
by Knuckles_85
Check the copacitors on the motherboard. if they are swollen then there's your problem. This has been a rather frequent defects in motherboards lately. You know you really have a problem when you see battery acid on the top.

RE: More hardware woes

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:26 pm
by JudgeDredd
Motherboard is fine, I'm sure of it. I am most defo convinced this is driver related...so hoping someone knows Windows/driver issue

I do have a RegScrub rogram, so I'll uninstall the KB tomorrow and reg scrub then hope windows doesn't get it's knickers in a twist!

RE: More hardware woes

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:57 am
by JudgeDredd
Just wanted to complete this in case anyone had similar issues.
 
Turns out I had USB Mouse support turned on in BIOS! Why the hell that would affect keyboard, I have no idea.
 
But I ran into this problem the other day and I knew I had just changed the BIOS, so I went back in and removed the USB Mouse Support and the keyboard was back and working normally.

RE: More hardware woes

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:10 pm
by Carl Myers
Did you check to see if the keyboard and mouse were trying to control the same interrupt?

RE: More hardware woes

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:18 pm
by JudgeDredd
No I didn't. But the problem has "gone" by disabling USB Mouse support. I don't know what USB Mouse Support did....I have a USB mouse so assumed I'd have to have it supported...but the computer/mouse works fine without it enabled...whereas with it enabled, the keyboard decides it doesn't want to play ball.
 
So I've simply disabled USB Mouse Support.