AI suggestion (quick and dirty)
Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:15 am
Short version:
Allow the human player to setup restrictions on which AI players may DoW each other.
Longer version:
I apologise if this has already been suggested - I only recently bought EiANW and have not read every post here.
As is plain to see the AI performs less than adequately. The problem is that making even a mediocre AI takes a very long time if its even possible. So, a real AI is a long term project yet in the short term the lack of an AI to even remotely challenge the solo player is hurting the game badly.
Now, I submit that one of the core issue with the AI presenting a challenge against a human is that the AI players tend to attack each other too much and thus let the human player win easily. While thats somewhat in the spirit of the game it also makes the game much too easy.
Now, as a bandaid on this problem till a real solution comes along I think it would be very useful if there was an option to mark which nations are able to DoW which other nations. As an example I could decide to play France and set up the game so that
- Prussia cannot DoW Spain, Austria or GB
- Austria cannot DoW Spain, Prussia or GB
- Spain cannot DoW Austria or Prussia
- GB cannot DoW Prussia or Austria
While this wont let the AI play any smarter it will make it more likely to actually fight me as France rather than fight other AI nations. Heck, if I wanted the ultimate challenge I could set it up so that none of the AI nations could attack each other.
Mind, I know that this violates the true spirit of the game EiA so its merely a bandaid till a real solution comes along.
In game terms I imagine that the restrictions could be implemented in the form of "enforced peace" treaties that are renewed at the start of every January turn prior to the Diplomatic phase. Without having seen the actual code I imagine that this would let the AI players adhere reasonably well to such a restriction without having to add more than a few lines of new code.
Allow the human player to setup restrictions on which AI players may DoW each other.
Longer version:
I apologise if this has already been suggested - I only recently bought EiANW and have not read every post here.
As is plain to see the AI performs less than adequately. The problem is that making even a mediocre AI takes a very long time if its even possible. So, a real AI is a long term project yet in the short term the lack of an AI to even remotely challenge the solo player is hurting the game badly.
Now, I submit that one of the core issue with the AI presenting a challenge against a human is that the AI players tend to attack each other too much and thus let the human player win easily. While thats somewhat in the spirit of the game it also makes the game much too easy.
Now, as a bandaid on this problem till a real solution comes along I think it would be very useful if there was an option to mark which nations are able to DoW which other nations. As an example I could decide to play France and set up the game so that
- Prussia cannot DoW Spain, Austria or GB
- Austria cannot DoW Spain, Prussia or GB
- Spain cannot DoW Austria or Prussia
- GB cannot DoW Prussia or Austria
While this wont let the AI play any smarter it will make it more likely to actually fight me as France rather than fight other AI nations. Heck, if I wanted the ultimate challenge I could set it up so that none of the AI nations could attack each other.
Mind, I know that this violates the true spirit of the game EiA so its merely a bandaid till a real solution comes along.
In game terms I imagine that the restrictions could be implemented in the form of "enforced peace" treaties that are renewed at the start of every January turn prior to the Diplomatic phase. Without having seen the actual code I imagine that this would let the AI players adhere reasonably well to such a restriction without having to add more than a few lines of new code.