Page 1 of 1
missing .dll file
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 1:00 pm
by McGib
Just installed V2.0 and was told that I'm missing smackw32.dll file. V1.0 still works. Anyone got any ideas?
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 1:09 pm
by Warhorse
Did you make sure it didn't just make another SPWAW directory within the original? Just wondered, it did for me?!
------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 1:17 pm
by Wittmann44
Smackw32.dll is located in your original SP WAW directory. The install program actually creates a new subdirectory Steel Panthers World at War within the original 1.0 version directory. You must copy all the files in the root over to the new 2.0 directory.
You must also take all the snd files, shp files, lbm files, and *.lbm in the enc folder from your 1.0 folder to the new 2.0 subfolder of the same name. Some files will ask if you want to overwrite file xxx with file yyy. Choose 'no' for each one, since you are not replacing the 2.0 files with 1.0 files.
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 1:26 pm
by Voriax
Originally posted by Wittmann44:
Smackw32.dll is located in your original SP WAW directory. The install program actually creates a new subdirectory Steel Panthers World at War within the original 1.0 version directory. You must copy all the files in the root over to the new 2.0 directory.
You must also take all the snd files, shp files, lbm files, and *.lbm in the enc folder from your 1.0 folder to the new 2.0 subfolder of the same name. Some files will ask if you want to overwrite file xxx with file yyy. Choose 'no' for each one, since you are not replacing the 2.0 files with 1.0 files.
WHAT? Just tell the patch installer the root directory of your SPWAW game, let it do it's job, reboot, wipe the steel.prf file and play. No further copying is needed.
Voriax
ps. If the default install dir in the Ver 1.0 is different than the default install dir in the patch and you accepted both then I guess something described above may happen.
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 1:33 pm
by Infanterie
Originally posted by Wittmann44:
The install program actually creates a new subdirectory Steel Panthers World at War within the original 1.0 version directory.
Yes, that can go unnoticed and the patch installs in wrong directory - I did that
myself but saw the clitch in time.
*yawn* Got to get some sleep, tomorrow will
be a fresh day to try the new version out,
straight after work...
SPWAW makes me heart go yonder!
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 1:33 pm
by Wittmann44
Yes, Voriax, the install proceedure is only set to work if you installed with the default directory on the original SP WAW 1.0; since I never install in default directories, I got a separate subfolder under the first.
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 2:25 pm
by Voriax
Originally posted by Wittmann44:
Yes, Voriax, the install proceedure is only set to work if you installed with the default directory on the original SP WAW 1.0; since I never install in default directories, I got a separate subfolder under the first.
Funny as I also did not use the default directories. All worked fine for me when I changed the directory in the installer. I got no extra directories, except a second (empty) lbm directory.
Voriax
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 2:30 pm
by McGib
Thanks gents, I got it working
dang hidden files!
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 4:48 pm
by Wild Bill
It sounds like you loaded the version separately, instead of on top of the version 1.0
At any rate, if you are up and running, I am glad...WB
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 6:12 pm
by Dean Robb
Originally posted by Wittmann44:
Yes, Voriax, the install proceedure is only set to work if you installed with the default directory on the original SP WAW 1.0; since I never install in default directories, I got a separate subfolder under the first.
I did the same thing, then realized what had happened. When you choose the non-default directory, it will place that drive and directory (ie: D:\SPWAW) in the text line and then APPEND the default directory name, giving in my case D:\SPWAW\Steel...War.
Simply delete the "Steel...War" part, leaving the drive and directory and click next. Installs and runs like a champ.