Page 1 of 1
F11 Screen shot file type?
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:22 pm
by von Staudt
What is the file type for the screen shots generated using the F11 key? I have generated some to document an AAR, but none of my graphics programs will open them. I have MS Paint and Photoshop.
RE: F11 Screen shot file type?
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:26 pm
by Erik Rutins
As far as I know, they're just bitmaps, should be fine to open with just about any graphics program and Windows should be able to handle them natively. They should show up in the \Screens sub-folder.
RE: F11 Screen shot file type?
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:39 pm
by von Staudt
Erik,
They show up in the proper folder, but do not open in Windows or Paint.
Mad Russian has the same problem and is using Shift/Print Screen to generate his SS's.
I think I read somewhere that the files should be .bmp files. Is that right?
RE: F11 Screen shot file type?
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:44 pm
by Erik Rutins
That's right. I just tested it here and it created a new bitmap (.bmp) file in my /Screens folder. When I went to that folder, Windows was automatically able to see it. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 on this system.
You can also try using a free program like
http://www.getpaint.net/ to see if that works for you but bitmaps are very standard uncompressed image files. You'll want to convert them to .jpgs for posting AARs.
RE: F11 Screen shot file type?
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:54 pm
by von Staudt
Thanks Erik.
Let me play with it some more and I will try the "getpaint" too.
I have XP Pro too, so it should work.
I will get back with you if I can't figure it out.
RE: F11 Screen shot file type?
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:47 pm
by rickier65
Erik,
I've been doing my screenshots using the shft-prntscrn then pasting into Irfanview (or sometime gimp, or paint.net).
I was thinking about doing an AAR and thought it would be easier to use the f11 key.
Unfortunately, I'm getting the same error that von Staudt has. And I tried with Paint.net, Gimp and Windows Picture Fax viewer (my default for quick viewing of BMP's). None of the trhree will open the screenshot bmps.
Stangely enough, though, Irfanview opens it fine, as does the default Windows Paint program.
So if you're having a problem opening the screen dumps - try the default paint program, or IrfanView (a freeware utility).
Rick
RE: F11 Screen shot file type?
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:48 pm
by Erik Rutins
Wow, odd. I'm not having that problem at all here but with two reports there must be something going on. I'll add it to the list to check this week.
RE: F11 Screen shot file type?
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:03 am
by von Staudt
My last game I used the F11 key and when I opened them, I right clicked, the used "open with" to send them to MS Paint. After modding them in Paint, then saving them, they acted like any other BMP file. You must mod them in Paint though. If you don't, they still won't show in Viewer or Explorer.