Page 1 of 1
Advanced Tactics or Battlefront?
Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:36 am
by Vile
Having enjoyed Peoples Tactics i am tempted to go for Advanced Tactics but i have recently been introduced to and enjoyed Battles in Normandy. Is Battlefront the same deal as BiN? Does it have any Pacific War other than Saipan?
Also, does anyone know of a Tarawa/Betio game? I cant afford to collect the ASL modules to play Bloody Reef (and ASLSK makes my brain ache so ASL is a no no) and HPS Dragons in the Mist is too ugly and old. Could i DIY Tarawa in Advanced Tactics or is the scale too big?(no point in fighting over a 2 hex island!)
Thx in advance [:)]
RE: Advanced Tactics or Battlefront?
Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:40 am
by cdbeck
I prefer AT hands down. Battlefront has a very limited scenario selection, while AT has tons and a random map generator that will keep you playing forever.
SoM
RE: Advanced Tactics or Battlefront?
Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:43 am
by JAMiAM
Not to mention that there have been reports of people ripping out their eyeballs with rusty forks after having to endure the graphics of Battlefront. AT's graphics may be simplistic and plain, but I would take that any day over the 'carnival fun house on acid' abomination of BF's graphics.
RE: Advanced Tactics or Battlefront?
Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:14 am
by JeF
ORIGINAL: JAMiAM
AT's graphics may be simplistic and plain, but I would take that any day over the 'carnival fun house on acid' abomination of BF's graphics.
Hey !!!

But I like them !
BF graphics are not for the taste of everybody, for sure.
This is arguable. Vile, if you like the ones in BiN, you'll like BF.
BF is BiN, basically. Scale is slightly different : most units are Bn instead of Regt. So there are some adaptations for time and rules (like direct bombardment for example).
Scenario editor seems to be for trained engineers only and there aren't a lot produced till now (chek :
SSG's web site). No other Pacific scenario than Saipan that I'm aware of.
Cheers,
JeF.
RE: Advanced Tactics or Battlefront?
Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:21 am
by Grell
I would say AT is better than Battlefront because AT has so much. Battlefront came with only 5 or so scenarios. I bought it assuming somebody would make more but no dice.
Regards,
Greg
RE: Advanced Tactics or Battlefront?
Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:23 pm
by BvB
Ditto what most are saying here = AT has much more versatility and replay value. But if you want to better immerse yourself in a certain historical topic then a more historical game may be more appealing...
RE: Advanced Tactics or Battlefront?
Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:27 pm
by Banquet
Ditto from me too. AT is very addictive with it's limitless random maps that can be created from parameters set by the user. There seem to be a lot of scenario's out for it too.
I don't have Battlefront, but bought BiN and BiI and didn't really get into them. I thought I'd like them because of their board game rules but I just lost interest. The map graphics are not to everyone's tastes. I quite like that style of the graphics but there's also something about the way they're done that make them quite hard to look at for long periods for me.
RE: Advanced Tactics or Battlefront?
Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:37 pm
by JudgeDredd
I have the digital download of Advanced Tactics if that's what you opt for. Willing to sell it.
If you want it, pm me