Page 1 of 1
Steel Panthers enhanced?
Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:08 pm
by Owl
Have a new PC and want to get SP on it, but am a bit confused. What is the SP that you download (and patch) from Matrix, and is it the same as SP enhanced or something different? Is SP enhanced (if it's different) a noticeable improvement over "normal" SP?
Thanks in advance... this isn't as bad as Harpoon 3 with all the various mods and what not to keep track of at least!
RE: Steel Panthers enhanced?
Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:49 pm
by Goblin
Heya Owl,
You need to download SPWaW (see links in the stickies at the top of the main SPWaW forum page). ENH is a mod, (THE mod, IMO), but do not fret - it is quite easy to install (see this topic at the SPWaW Depot -
http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15116 )
Get the game, patch up to 8.403, then download and install ENH (link also in the stickies on main SPWaW page) using Modswapper (which comes with the game - see the link above again).
ENH is definately an improvement on the vanilla game.
Goblin
RE: Steel Panthers enhanced?
Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:50 pm
by Goblin
RE: Steel Panthers enhanced?
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:10 am
by Owl
Thanks! I like both the shrapnel and matrix versions - it all depends on if I want to set around and do the opportunity fire myself or take advantage of the time and run to get another beer (or get rid of one if you catch my drift).
RE: Steel Panthers enhanced?
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:38 am
by Goblin
[:D]
RE: Steel Panthers enhanced?
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:42 pm
by Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: Owl
Thanks! I like both the shrapnel and matrix versions
What's that Shrapnel version I keep hearing about? Is it WinSPWW2?
RE: Steel Panthers enhanced?
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:26 am
by Goblin
ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: Owl
Thanks! I like both the shrapnel and matrix versions
What's that Shrapnel version I keep hearing about? Is it WinSPWW2?
Yes, and WinSPMBT. They are technically the Camo Workshop (hope I got that right) version, but are found at Shrapnel Games.
Goblin
RE: Steel Panthers enhanced?
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:56 pm
by Kuokkanen
I recall reading somewhere that original SP scenarios can be converted to work with WinSPWW2. I have couple scenario disks around (one is Cold Will) and Stalingrad campaign, I might give them try again [:D]
RE: Steel Panthers enhanced?
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:47 pm
by Hunpecked
After a long absence, I returned to SPWAW (8.403) in March. This weekend I finally swapped in the Enhanced Mod and played around with it. The first thing I noticed in campaign mode is that setting True Troop Cost to "on" seems to reduce unit costs considerably. For example, in Watchword Freedom, it reduces a Panther G's cost from 179 to 134, a Tiger 1 E from 198 to 134, and a halftrack from 28 to 21.
Now I know Enhanced changes many of the unit costs. I just want to verify that my installation of Enhanced is working properly, and to ask what is the recommended True Troop setting for Enhanced campaigns.
RE: Steel Panthers enhanced?
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:58 pm
by Alby
Yes it is working correctly, 'True troop on' bases a units price on the units experience factors, I wish I could explain it better.
I myself always play with "true troop on"
RE: Steel Panthers enhanced?
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:48 pm
by FlashfyreSP
ORIGINAL: Hunpecked
After a long absence, I returned to SPWAW (8.403) in March. This weekend I finally swapped in the Enhanced Mod and played around with it. The first thing I noticed in campaign mode is that setting True Troop Cost to "on" seems to reduce unit costs considerably. For example, in Watchword Freedom, it reduces a Panther G's cost from 179 to 134, a Tiger 1 E from 198 to 134, and a halftrack from 28 to 21.
Now I know Enhanced changes many of the unit costs. I just want to verify that my installation of Enhanced is working properly, and to ask what is the recommended True Troop setting for Enhanced campaigns.
The recommended 'True Troop' setting is for it to be ON. There is no adjustable value for this; True Troop modifies the OOB Unit Cost based on the unit's actual Experience is as the unit is being purchased. Base Unit Cost is for 70 Experience - as this increases or decreases, the actual purchase price increases or decreases.
RE: Steel Panthers enhanced?
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:09 pm
by Hunpecked
Right. ON/OFF, with ON recommended. Thanks.
I can understand a substantial TRUE TROOP ON cost reduction for the Watchword Freedom campaign; it's reasonable for German experience levels to decline in early 1944. I was a bit surprised to see a similar discount in the Stalingrad campaign; it's my impression the Germans were more experienced in mid-1942.
No matter. I thought I might start a Stalingrad campaign over the upcoming long weekend and play up to the first missing scenario. I played around with core mixes and found I can now build a stronger core in Enhanced than I could in 8.403 vanilla, despite losing 300 inital core points. Yessss! Watch out, Ivan! [:D]
RE: Steel Panthers enhanced?
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:12 am
by FlashfyreSP
It's not that the German experience is worse under the Enhanced Mod, but that Unit Costs were completely revamped, with most of them being lowered some compared to vanilla 8.3 pricing. This was due to reductions in certain unit data, such as FC and RgF, and to a re-worked Pricing Routine in the new v5 OOB Editor ( thanks, Mike Woods!). As a result, Enhanced users will find they can buy more units for campaign core forces than previously.