Page 1 of 13
Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:03 pm
by DD696
I spent today with my grandson touring the US Army's Ordance Depot at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland. They have an extensive tank collection primarily from WWII but before and after as well, along with lots of artillery including Anzio Annie, the atomic cannon and a 16 inch shore defense gun originally made for the Lexington and South Dakota battlecruiser/ship designs which were cancelled. I went one other time a couple years ago in the winter and got a taste of what the panzers went thru in the winter of 41-42 in the Russian campaign. Today was much more pleasant and enjoyable.
They have Japanese tanks, Italian, Russian, US, British, German and French. My grandson and I looked high and low but we just couldn't find any Danish tanks. I took a great many pictures. A lot of these weapons were not used in the Pacific theatre, but I do admit to having an interest that extends beyond that boundary. If there is sufficient interest I could post them here for all to see and those who would complain that a JSIII or a JadgTiger have no place in this forum can just look only at the Type 95, the Stuart or the Shermans. Might take a while to do because I would probably have to resize them.
Let me know.....Next on the "to do" list is a tour of the New Jersey (toured the Missouri back in 69).
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:15 am
by TOMLABEL
I'll go ahead and ask that you do post some pics. As they may be off topic to WITP, I would love to see what they have done with the King Tiger and the Hummel, and well, of course what Panther looks like now.
TOMLABEL
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:26 am
by Richrd
Yes, please. Pics.
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:30 am
by RUPD3658
I live about 3 hours away and loved the place as a kid. My favorite thing was the Grand Slam standing on it's nose at the entrance.
BB New Jersey is OK. The Missouri was much better. You are better off waiting until Veteren's day this year and making tyhe trip to NYC to tour the Intrepid. It was great before and should be even better when it reopens.
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:04 am
by TOMLABEL
ORIGINAL: RUPD3658
I live about 3 hours away and loved the place as a kid. My favorite thing was the Grand Slam standing on it's nose at the entrance.
BB New Jersey is OK. The Missouri was much better. You are better off waiting until Veteren's day this year and making tyhe trip to NYC to tour the Intrepid. It was great before and should be even better when it reopens.
If it re-opens on time. I hear they are having some financial problems and have had to crack open the endowment funds. [:(]
On a brighter note, I read that they had contracted Otis to get the port side elevator working again. Now that would be a cool ride!
TOMLABEL
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:29 am
by castor troy
ORIGINAL: DD696
I spent today with my grandson touring the US Army's Ordance Depot at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland. They have an extensive tank collection primarily from WWII but before and after as well, along with lots of artillery including Anzio Annie, the atomic cannon and a 16 inch shore defense gun originally made for the Lexington and South Dakota battlecruiser/ship designs which were cancelled. I went one other time a couple years ago in the winter and got a taste of what the panzers went thru in the winter of 41-42 in the Russian campaign. Today was much more pleasant and enjoyable.
They have Japanese tanks, Italian, Russian, US, British, German and French. My grandson and I looked high and low but we just couldn't find any Danish tanks. I took a great many pictures. A lot of these weapons were not used in the Pacific theatre, but I do admit to having an interest that extends beyond that boundary. If there is sufficient interest I could post them here for all to see and those who would complain that a JSIII or a JadgTiger have no place in this forum can just look only at the Type 95, the Stuart or the Shermans. Might take a while to do because I would probably have to resize them.
Let me know.....Next on the "to do" list is a tour of the New Jersey (toured the Missouri back in 69).
Danish tanks?? [X(] LOL [:D]
would love to see some pics! [&o]
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:15 am
by DD696
I'll get them downloaded into the computer today and start working on posting them. There is no King Tiger, altho they do have a Tiger which I believe is still in Europe undergoing restoration. Can anyone tell me what is a good size to resize pictures for posting here? Hate to make them too small but can't have them too big either.
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:27 am
by m10bob
If ya' wanna see a King Tiger, got to the Patton museum at Ft Knox, near Louisville.........
http://www.generalpatton.org/index.asp
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:47 am
by DD696
Big Bomb coming up.
Edit: The pictures are about 600KB, so I have to get them down to less than 200kb. This will take awhile.
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:08 pm
by Grell
Hi DD,
I'm looking forward to seeing your nice photos.
Regards,
Greg
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:38 pm
by HansBolter
TOMLABEL,
Where can I get my hands on that pin-up work of art you are using for an avatar?
It is one I am not familiar with.
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:40 pm
by tanksone
Hi, it's been a decade or better since I've been there. Do they still have the twin 88s from I believe a flak tower and do they still have the Mk III with the side cut open so you can see inside. Btw where you there for a test? Nothing like the ground shaking when you don't expect it to.

RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:04 pm
by DD696
They still have the twin 88's, but I didn't get a picture as I was getting low on photostick memory...might find it in the background of some of the shots tho. They still have the MK III open. It looks like I have to buy a photo editing program, as the one provided by microsoft only provides for cropping and I have to crop off too much of the picture. I need to resize them to get them under the 200k limit. More after a shopping trip.
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:01 pm
by patrickl
ORIGINAL: DD696
They still have the twin 88's, but I didn't get a picture as I was getting low on photostick memory...might find it in the background of some of the shots tho. They still have the MK III open. It looks like I have to buy a photo editing program, as the one provided by microsoft only provides for cropping and I have to crop off too much of the picture. I need to resize them to get them under the 200k limit. More after a shopping trip.
You don't have to buy software. [;)] Just try
www.download.com
Link :
http://www.download.com/sort/3150-2192_ ... ml?tag=dir
My favourite is irfanview. Free of charge of course.
Pat
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:07 pm
by crsutton
Yes, I have been there many times in my life. Unfortunately the museum has been terribly underfunded over the years and many of the tanks and guns are in very poor condition as they are all out in the open-or at least were the last time I was there. Still there are a lot of great things to see. My favorite is the prototype US heavy tank that never got made. Had an over under 90mm-75mm cannon (or was it 75-37mm). I think they decided that it was too large to ship to the European theater, so they never developed it.
If you are in the Washington area, then I also highly recommend a visit to the Naval Museum located at the old Navy Yard very near the capital building. It is one of my favorites and nobody ever goes there. Not a modern museum but just fun to go to and they allow kids to climb on some of the guns and spin the cranks. There is an old 1950's DD there to explore as well. Nowdays you have to call and make a reservation because it is on the base, but it is worth it. Best of all is to see the old Navy Yard parts of which date back to before the war of 1812. I promise you that you will love it.
RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:26 pm
by DD696
Thanks patrickl. Irfanview works great - much better than the $120 Adobe software I went out and bought and so far haven't been able to get it to do what I what it to do.

RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:27 pm
by DD696
2

RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:29 pm
by DD696
A Stuart inside but the picture is not so great. Grandson included in most pictures for size comparisons (he is 5 but taller than average).

RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:30 pm
by DD696
I don't know what this one is.

RE: Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:32 pm
by DD696
WWI seen in most of the tank shots of the day...
