Page 1 of 1

This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:43 pm
by wild_Willie2
Hi there.

Another example of one of my annoyances.

DD's hitting a target at 19000!!! yards..

Even CA's with much better spotting and fire controls would have trouble SEEING a target at 19K, let alone HITTING it...

Image

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:30 pm
by Cuttlefish
Let's see...19,000 yards is a bit under 11 miles. Your ships would be within visual range at that distance. Banckert had no radar that I know of, but the Bofors 12cm/50 guns she was equipped with had a listed range of 21,300 yards.

So theoretically it would be possible for Banckert to see and hit your ships at that range. What I don't know (but I'll bet others here do) is how likely it would actually be. My guess is that it would take such a huge amount of luck that any Dutch destroyer captain would decline to open fire until the range had shortened considerably, but perhaps I am wrong about that.

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:46 pm
by Przemcio231
Hey Willie i see you started a game[;)] i started one a month ago and i say im winning as allies[;)] its february 1942 and i just plastered the baby KB[:D]

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:04 pm
by wild_Willie2
Hi Przemco.
 
This is an AI game, I can't really go back to PBEM anymore because I think I was a teenyweeny ADDICTED to it....
 
As you know, this game via PBEM is like heroin, you always want to play just ONE MORE TURN..... 
 
To keep my current relationship save (PBEM has the tendency to EAT up all your spare time (even the time you really can't spend on it and SHOULD spend on your GF)), I will just play an AI game until AE is released. Once AE is released al bets are of though......
 
Gr.
 
William

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:54 pm
by niceguy2005
ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

Hi there.

Another example of one of my annoyances.

DD's hitting a target at 19000!!! yards..
Yes, but to counter balance that, last night my Japanese BBs refused to fire shot (ammo was full) while the Boise sank 2 cruisers and a destroyer at 4000 yards. [8|]

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:16 am
by bradfordkay
" As you know, this game via PBEM is like heroin, you always want to play just ONE MORE TURN....."

To me, that's the beauty of PBEM... on normal workdays, we can basically get just one turn done so I don't expect more. I know that the war is progressing slowly, but it's interesting enough that the pace doesn't bother me. We started our game on Feb 6, 2007 and I'll be watching the June 8, 1943 turn when I next run the game - so in sixteen months of real time we have played eighteen months of the war. That's actually better than I espected when I started the game (the faster pace is due to the addictive nature of PBEM!).

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:34 am
by Przemcio231
Well im not addicted... i do a turn a day and if time permits more...[:D] my GF is not complaining so no problem...[:D]

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:44 am
by Mike Scholl
ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

Hi there.

Another example of one of my annoyances.

DD's hitting a target at 19000!!! yards..

Even CA's with much better spotting and fire controls would have trouble SEEING a target at 19K, let alone HITTING it...

Truthfully, Mauritius would probably sink both of those targets before anything else got into range, and she probably wouldn't open fire at 19,000 yards. Thing is that these targets can't really fight, and can't run away..., so the attacking TF would generally close in to more certain range before engaging simply to save ammunition.

The game's AI think's subs fight DD's on the surface.., so you can't really expect much better from it.

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:31 am
by Grell
Very well put mike.

Regards,


Greg

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:41 am
by LargeSlowTarget
So, will AE allow boarding parties?

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:00 pm
by rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

So, will AE allow boarding parties?

Not sure about that, but i tend to doubt it...

Curiously, a precursor game of WiTP allowed it (War in the South Pacific) - and actually had a better weather model as well. [8D] It also allowed a bit of maneuvering in a surface battle (very crude combat maneuver model, but was probably more "fun" than the WITP one.)

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:31 pm
by Chris21wen
ORIGINAL: Przemcio231

Hey Willie i see you started a game[;)] i started one a month ago and i say im winning as allies[;)] its february 1942 and i just plastered the baby KB[:D]

He did indeed.[8|]

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:17 pm
by Icedawg
ORIGINAL: Przemcio231

Well im not addicted... i do a turn a day and if time permits more...[:D] my GF is not complaining so no problem...[:D]

Awesome girlfriend! Does she have any single friends she could introduce me to? My fiance gets peeved even if I just play a turn or two of an AI game every other day or so. [:-] I have a feeling that if AE comes out before our wedding date of Sept 26, the wedding just may have to be called off! [:D]

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:26 pm
by thegreatwent
Ice, your marriage is doomed if AE comes out prior to your wedding.


Congrats on landing a lady before WitP destroys your social life btw[:D]

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:49 pm
by Icedawg
ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

Congrats on landing a lady before WitP destroys your social life btw[:D]

Well, WiTP had destroyed the social life for a long while. But then I pretty much quit "cold turkey". In that WiTP-free existence, I remembered this fantastic thing called "female companionship". I got caught up in that rediscovery for quite a while, but now I'm getting that WiTP itch again. [:(]

A few weeks ago, I installed WiTP on my fiance's desktop, and lately, the game has been calling for me in the middle of the night. [:D] About a week ago, I actually woke up around midnight to go to the bathroom and booted up the game once I had finished my business. I played for about four hours - it would have been a bit longer if my fiance hadn't woken up and asked me what I was doing!

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:45 pm
by fokkov
ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

So, will AE allow boarding parties?

Not sure about that, but i tend to doubt it...

Curiously, a precursor game of WiTP allowed it (War in the South Pacific) - and actually had a better weather model as well. [8D] It also allowed a bit of maneuvering in a surface battle (very crude combat maneuver model, but was probably more "fun" than the WITP one.)


Finally someone that knows and played this game (War in the South Pacific) , the AE team should have a look at it, setting TF as targets , assigning escorts planes to strike groups etc. some things are way better done .
Almost trying a year now get the game running again on an old machine without luck because of missing vesa drivers. [:@]

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:18 pm
by Mark VII
ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

Hi there.

Another example of one of my annoyances.

DD's hitting a target at 19000!!! yards..

Even CA's with much better spotting and fire controls would have trouble SEEING a target at 19K, let alone HITTING it...

Truthfully, Mauritius would probably sink both of those targets before anything else got into range, and she probably wouldn't open fire at 19,000 yards. Thing is that these targets can't really fight, and can't run away..., so the attacking TF would generally close in to more certain range before engaging simply to save ammunition.

The game's AI think's subs fight DD's on the surface.., so you can't really expect much better from it.

The problem with the game is that often "slower" ships somehow escape "faster" ships all the time. I am pleased if they start shooting no matter the range.

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:40 am
by thegreatwent
A few weeks ago, I installed WiTP on my fiance's desktop, and lately, the game has been calling for me in the middle of the night. About a week ago, I actually woke up around midnight to go to the bathroom and booted up the game once I had finished my business. I played for about four hours - it would have been a bit longer if my fiance hadn't woken up and asked me what I was doing!

LOL, my wife has had to put up with me doing this as well. I often dream of another way to get more oil where I need it despite allied subs [>:]

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:38 am
by Hornblower
once home from work, and having completed any necessary work around the house i'd play.  Now if the mrs went to bed early, i'd put in hours of WITP time.  on more occasions then i'd care to admit, i's play till 3-4am in the morning..

RE: This has ALWAYS annoyed me....

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:27 pm
by DaveB
I get far more annoyed when an AK gets pounded to scrap but then somehow manages to knock lumps out of my DD/CL... I can't help feeling that after the first few hits the merch crew ought to be having trouble standing upright, never mind firing like some sort of elite 4" sniper team. Sometimes the exchange of shells and damage seems to get far too close to 50:50, which just seems highly unlikely to me.
 
Dave