ORIGINAL: Mobius
"redoing another designers work"?
It's not like they are going to sound proof the Sistine Chapel.
If they want a more fair start go for it. It's their game.
Yes, it is their game. It's also my time and effort that goes into my work. The CM community dealt with this issue long ago. The standard answer is that you don't change a custom designed scenario without the consent of the designer.
You may not think it's much like sound proofing the Sistine Chapel but until you have spend more than 6 months working on a single scenario to get get the map details correct, the order of battle as close as you can get it, playtest it so that it plays out with some semblance of balance, then you may not know what that feels like to have a gamer whose played the game one time decide it sucks and change it for you.
At some point, hopefully in the very near future there will be sites where the scenarios start getting reviews, AAR's and comments/discussions. When that happens how do you propose that the reviews be done if the scenarios are commonly being changed up by the gamers?
On some of my scenarios I have off map artillery randomly arriving as reinforcemants. So there is no way to know if when or if it will arrive. But the standard PCK campaign missions don't have this feature because the offmap reinforcement function was not available when they were created.
Randomly arriving reinforcements make a scenario extremely difficult to balance. If it's in a campaign where it's not meant to be balanced as closely as it might if it's a stand alone battle that's different.
In CM I long ago discovered that the more random the reinforcements the less control the scenario has in the outcome of the battle.
There are several key areas in scenario design.
1) Skill of the designer. This seems obvious but the designer has no idea of the skill level of those playing their scenarios. And as the designers/gamers get more skillful it is often a good thing for the designer to go back and update the scenario. I've done this with about half of my CM scenarios over the years. I've also deleted about 10% of them completely.
2) Skill of the player. With PC most gamers aren't that skillful with the system at the moment. As the years go by and more games in the series come out that will change.
3) In games where the AI is involved there is a certain expectation from the designer as to how the AI will respond in the battle. A widely random occurring event, such as a reinforcement grouping, while making the scenario play different each time loses too much for lack of control in how it plays.
It's been my CM experience that few gamers play a scenario more than once. Unless that scenario is exceptional they get played and then the gamer moves on. So the value of the extremely random reinforcements to produce a widely varying result each time is very limited. The loss of control of the outcome of how the computer will respond is also lost. The end result is a scenario that plays very different each time and may one time be a walk over and the next time be unwinnable. That's not an answer I'll accept in my own scenarios. HSG scenarios are pretty well known for the ability of the scenario to deliver a good fight. With each side having the opportunity and ability to win the battle.
I will often stage my reinforcements to keep the game intense and moving. If the random entry is set too high then you lose the ability of having the scenario help with the intensity of the battle. What you get then is unpredictability. I'll put unpredictability in the game but as the designer I want to control just how unpredictable things get.
Since my scenarios/battles/campaigns are all set on historical events they will, for the most part, have that predetermined by when they arrived in the original battle. But each designer has their own way of seeing the action and there are a myriad of small details we don't know for certain about each action that the designer makes judgment calls about. That's why I call most of my scenarios "semi-historical".
4) The time scale is also key. I like my battles just a little short. I want the commander to feel some of the pressure of actual battlefield command in the comforts of his own home. Nice chair in an airconditioned or heated room...nice lighting...hopefully nobody shooting at them. To make up for that I playtest my scenarios to a level of a comfortable win then I subtract some time. Just enough that you have to make some choices you don't want to have to make.
Just like real battlefield commanders under tremendous stress.
You may make a mistake in your haste. Like they do when they fight.
So, in answer to your comment, if they want a fair fight the game has the ability to modify the scenario to a greater or lesser degree by choosing the level of difficulty you want.
In my briefings I put at what level I playtested the difficulty. If you find my scenarios too easy I suggest you have the computer add more difficulty.
I don't recommend you going inside and changing my, or any other designers, settings.[:-]
Good Hunting.
MR