Page 1 of 1
Yet ANOTHER IP thread, you know you want to take a look
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:08 pm
by NeverMan
I was reading the MWiF forums (as I am also a WiF fan and will undoubtedly be purchasing that game when it is released Dec '08). I noticed something interesting:
MWiF will have IP Play!! This is great news.
Then, I asked myself, why can't they do the same thing for EiANW?
IMO, player's turns take longer in WiF than in EiA, generally speaking (a lot of people have the notion that there will be a lot of idle time between plays in EiA, which I don't think is true). There is much less movement (there are a lot fewer pieces in EiA than in WiF) and the map is a lot smaller (area size/territory).
It seems that Matrix (??) has hired a guy Dan Hatchen to code "NetPlay" which is to be used by MWiF. It would be great if Matrix would do something like this for EiANW. It would be nice to see a real commitment from them.
RE: Yet ANOTHER IP thread, you know you want to take a look
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:33 pm
by pzgndr
Then, I asked myself, why can't they do the same thing for EiANW?
Who is "they"?? Must be a room full of under-utilized computer game programmers just sitting around on their thumbs in the big Matrix corporate office building someplace. [8|]
Geez, why the hell can't the whiz-kids from World of Warcraft with their million dollar development budgets just drop everything they're doing and help Marshall finish this game?? I'm sure they could get some community service credits or something, perhaps a few tax deductions for voluntary contributions to the hobby. Right. Sure. [:'(]
RE: Yet ANOTHER IP thread, you know you want to take a look
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:36 pm
by eske
No I don't
RE: Yet ANOTHER IP thread, you know you want to take a look
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:05 pm
by NeverMan
ORIGINAL: pzgndr
Then, I asked myself, why can't they do the same thing for EiANW?
Who is "they"?? Must be a room full of under-utilized computer game programmers just sitting around on their thumbs in the big Matrix corporate office building someplace. [8|]
Geez, why the hell can't the whiz-kids from World of Warcraft with their million dollar development budgets just drop everything they're doing and help Marshall finish this game?? I'm sure they could get some community service credits or something, perhaps a few tax deductions for voluntary contributions to the hobby. Right. Sure. [:'(]
"They", as stated in my post, are Matrix. WoW??? So when did Blizzard take over the MWiF project????
If you read my post, which you obviuosly didn't, you would notice that MATRIX (not Blizzard, etc) brought in Dan Hatchen (who is NOT Shannon O'Keats, the "main" programmer for MWiF) to code NetPlay for MWiF. Not sure why that was so hard to understand.
RE: Yet ANOTHER IP thread, you know you want to take a look
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:12 pm
by pzgndr
Neverman, I obviously did read your post since I responded to it. A more relevant question may be why I or anyone bother to read your negative posts anyway, much less waste time commenting about them.
If you read my post, which you obviuosly didn't, you would notice that MATRIX (not Blizzard, etc) brought in Dan Hatchen (who is NOT Shannon O'Keats, the "main" programmer for MWiF) to code NetPlay for MWiF. Not sure why that was so hard to understand.
If you have read all these forums you must know that: 1) Marshall already has some TCP/IP code in the game, 2) he has acknowledged this as a future enhancement and it's on the bug tracker list, 3) he has discussed how he wants to update the TCP/IP code from what he has and some of the difficulties/risk involved, and 4) there are higher priorities right now and he'll get to IP play when he gets to it.
So. What is the point bringing up ANOTHER IP thread?? It's not like more whining and complaining or bringing in another programmer cold is going to produce an IP patch tomorrow, or next week, or next month. And yet, you continue to fixate on this issue and bring it up repeatedly. Chill out for a few months. Be patient. Maybe by Christmas if we're all good little boys Santa might deliver, eh?
Or, keep on doing what you're doing and keep expecting different results. That, by definition, is insanity. Good luck to you.
RE: Yet ANOTHER IP thread, you know you want to take a look
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:28 pm
by NeverMan
Well, I have been called insane, does that count?
If insanity is expecting Matrix to focus a little bit on this game then ok, you got me.
I'll tell you what, you just sit there in your chair, do nothing and maybe something will get done. Yep, that's sanity, good plan.
I just don't see why someone can't be brought in to do the network coding, like they are doing with MWiF. This does not require him to come in "cold" since most of the network code can be done with little to no knowledge of the game or it's code.
Honestly, though you are probably right. Nothing is going to change no matter how unhappy the community seems. Matrix has decided to let Marshall, and Marshall alone, all by himself, deal with this mess.
RE: Yet ANOTHER IP thread, you know you want to take a look
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:57 pm
by Thresh
Neverman,
Marshall has his priorities. He is focusing on game issues he feels are more important than TCP/IP.
Why does this bother you so?
Todd
RE: Yet ANOTHER IP thread, you know you want to take a look
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:17 pm
by NeverMan
ORIGINAL: Thresh
Neverman,
Marshall has his priorities. He is focusing on game issues he feels are more important than TCP/IP.
Why does this bother you so?
Todd
It doesn't. The bugs should be fixed before anything else. Why does it bother you that I post regarding IP play?
This was in reference to MWiF and I was just curious and it was a new reference so I posted it. Sorry I offended you and pzgndr.
RE: Yet ANOTHER IP thread, you know you want to take a look
Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:24 am
by Thresh
Hey, we all have our windmills to tilt at...
Todd
RE: Yet ANOTHER IP thread, you know you want to take a look
Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:17 am
by MarshallEllis
Can't we all just get along? LOL!
RE: Yet ANOTHER IP thread, you know you want to take a look
Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:56 pm
by baboune
humm marshall..are you not supposed to be fixing this game?