Page 1 of 2

bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:03 am
by bOrIuM
Marshall told us he's working on an integrated system of bidding... Id like to know how it will works, like the one when can get or different like rules. I explain myself.

1- Will it be possible for the game host to limit the bid points, like 10 instead of 30 like now.
2- Will the game host will be able to use a "multiple bids", to use the same bid for 2 different countries, like bidding 15 to France and to Austria, or 1 for Spain and Turkey ?
3- Will it be programmed to, as an other thread spoke of, try to verify, if 2 players did bid the same amount, one can win another bid for another country ?
4- Finally, is it for 1.03 or later ?

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:40 am
by Jimmer
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for, but I have some comments:
 
#1  The bids should not be limited at all, and especially lower. It just gives France a bigger advantage.
 
#2  The purpose for having everybody bid a different amount for each nation is that it reduces the need for tie-breakers.
 
#3  Everybody can always win another bid for another country (after the one currently being checked), except when the bid for Turkey is analyzed (and then, there's only one player left).

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:27 am
by MarshallEllis
ORIGINAL: bOrIuM

Marshall told us he's working on an integrated system of bidding... Id like to know how it will works, like the one when can get or different like rules. I explain myself.

1- Will it be possible for the game host to limit the bid points, like 10 instead of 30 like now.
2- Will the game host will be able to use a "multiple bids", to use the same bid for 2 different countries, like bidding 15 to France and to Austria, or 1 for Spain and Turkey ?
3- Will it be programmed to, as an other thread spoke of, try to verify, if 2 players did bid the same amount, one can win another bid for another country ?
4- Finally, is it for 1.03 or later ?

Borium:

1. No. I'm curious, why would you want this?
2. No. All bid values from one player must be unique.
3. If there is a duplicate bid from different players then it should resolve with 1d6.
4. Later than 1.03. Not sure when this arrive yet???




RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:03 pm
by DCWhitworth
ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

ORIGINAL: bOrIuM

Marshall told us he's working on an integrated system of bidding... Id like to know how it will works, like the one when can get or different like rules. I explain myself.

1- Will it be possible for the game host to limit the bid points, like 10 instead of 30 like now.
2- Will the game host will be able to use a "multiple bids", to use the same bid for 2 different countries, like bidding 15 to France and to Austria, or 1 for Spain and Turkey ?
3- Will it be programmed to, as an other thread spoke of, try to verify, if 2 players did bid the same amount, one can win another bid for another country ?
4- Finally, is it for 1.03 or later ?

Borium:

1. No. I'm curious, why would you want this?
2. No. All bid values from one player must be unique.
3. If there is a duplicate bid from different players then it should resolve with 1d6.
4. Later than 1.03. Not sure when this arrive yet???

The answer to 1. is pretty simple I'd have thought. The bidding has been arbitrarily limited to 30 in EiANW, I can see why people might want to change this limit, or even remove it completely.

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:58 pm
by Jimmer
ORIGINAL: DCWhitworth
The answer to 1. is pretty simple I'd have thought. The bidding has been arbitrarily limited to 30 in EiANW, I can see why people might want to change this limit, or even remove it completely.
Good point. I only responded to the "10" suggestion. I forgot that the bidding tool limited bids to 30 (an artificially low value). Legitimate bids for France by experienced players should easily top 50, though, so I want to make sure nobody gets it cheap (by bidding 50).

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:59 pm
by MarshallEllis
Oh! OK, I understand now.
I've actually rarely seen 50 point bids ??? Is it that common? I wouldn't do it.
 
 
 

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:17 pm
by Soapy Frog
I've seen higher.

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm
by KenClark
GB can win if no-one else wins. Bidding a million for GB I'm sure has happened.

I have seen very different bidding strategies in different groups. My old group never bid much about 25 and my newer group has had bids in the 40s and 50s for the major countries.

Strangely, Turkey seems to go for no more than 3 most of the time. Most frequently 2 becuase people hate playing Spain so much.

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:19 pm
by NeverMan
One reason I've never seen a 50 bid is because my old group's cap was always 40.

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:40 pm
by Thresh
I prefer a bid total, in that the sum of your bids cannot equal "X"...

YMMV,
Thresh

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:21 am
by RayKinStL
ORIGINAL: Thresh

I prefer a bid total, in that the sum of your bids cannot equal "X"...

YMMV,
Thresh

This is the best idea I have heard yet.

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:49 am
by Thresh
Actually, that should read cannot be more than"X"

Last few games I played I believe we used was 60.

Todd

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:07 am
by Jimmer
ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Oh! OK, I understand now.
I've actually rarely seen 50 point bids ??? Is it that common? I wouldn't do it.


It's not common, but neither are experienced players. It's a risk, too, of course. But, if you want to play France, ... :)

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:07 am
by MarshallEllis
ORIGINAL: KenClark

GB can win if no-one else wins. Bidding a million for GB I'm sure has happened.

Perhaps the max is to limit this type of bidding???
BTW: Why do groups use a max bid?




RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:42 am
by NeverMan
Why do groups use a max bid?

They really shouldn't have to but there's also no accounting for some people. It really just stops people from playing with the attitude that "this game will never end so I'm going to bid for whatever country I want to play and get that country".

At least, that's my experience. It also keeps the VP bidding within a "winable" range.

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:21 pm
by DCWhitworth
I must admit I'd be tempted to do that. To me the enjoyment is in playing the game rather than winning so I'd be tempted to bid a silly amount to get the country I want to play.

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:11 pm
by Murat
Since you can enter bids manually I do not see why a host (the person entering the bids) cannot just state a limit and disallow any bids that exceed it.

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:09 pm
by AresMars
People are lazy and like technology to solve everything.....<insert sarcasm here>
&nbsp;
&nbsp;

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:17 pm
by NeverMan
ORIGINAL: Murat

Since you can enter bids manually I do not see why a host (the person entering the bids) cannot just state a limit and disallow any bids that exceed it.

Shouldn't the goal of a PC game be simplifying "manual" tasks and make them more "automatic"? If not, why are we all bothering at all? Why not just play PBEM with Cyberboard or VASSAL?

RE: bidding, 1.03 ?

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:09 am
by MarshallEllis
ORIGINAL: Murat

Since you can enter bids manually I do not see why a host (the person entering the bids) cannot just state a limit and disallow any bids that exceed it.

That's not a bad idea.