Page 1 of 1

japan, fighter mision change

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:30 am
by borner
This has happened to me 3 times in my current game. I set my fighters at Lugna to LRCap or escort, then they perform a sweep. When I check the orders, they are all set to sweep. I have lost aobut 100 fighters due to this.

Any thoughts, or is this just a bug?

RE: japan, fighter mision change

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:29 am
by borner
is anyone from Matrix out there?
 
this has happened to me twice more, the most recent the turn of a critical carrier battle where my cap level was 50% different that I had set. The is nothing more fustrating than getting over a year into a game and something like this changes the whole balance of things.

RE: japan, fighter mision change

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:56 pm
by DEB
It may not be a bug. As I understand it, if you send more than a certain number of planes ( when compared to the defending planes ) the system will change their orders to enable them to make ground attacks/ fighter sweeps. Your high losses are likely to be due to AA / ground fire, which is more effective against Sweep attacks than it might otherwise be, due to the low altitude of Sweep attacks.

PS - You'll be lucky to get any response from MATRIX!!

RE: japan, fighter mision change

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:55 am
by borner
from Lugna, the mission was CAP. really is fustrating to loose about 150 fighters due to this. Exp and morale ratings take a pounding. in the carrier battle, it threw my whole strategy into the toilet.     Nomad would have kicked my butt anyway, but would have been nice to see what would have/SHOULD HAVE happened.
 
I agree that Matrix does not appear to monitor this forum very much. As a finished product, I did not expect an instant reply, but hopefully someone there is at least looking that this support section every now and again.

RE: japan, fighter mision change

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:40 am
by HansBolter
There may be something else going on that you have not noticed. When you have a squadron set to LRCAP and then take it off of LRCAP not by choosing another mission, but by reducing the CAP percentage to below 100%, the mission reverts to Sweep instead of Escort. Not sure if this is what is happening to you, but it can bight you in the rear if you assume diwngrading from 100% CAP reverts to Escort with 90% CAP.

RE: japan, fighter mision change

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:03 pm
by bigbaba
i would set the fighters on a escort mission with a % of the planes in the CAP role if you want to defend the home base of the fighters.

for LRCAP missions over other targets then the AF, set the CAP rate at 100%. unfortunatly, there seem to be no other way to avoid that some fighters fly automatic sweep missions and get shot down or their pilots get tired.

RE: japan, fighter mision change

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:23 am
by borner
Yes, when you change LRCAP to anything else, the mission type changes. As for the escort settings, I tried that also, but when you are trying to escort something in another hex, it does not help. I am at a loss.