Small Arms of WWII: What Were the Best?
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:30 am
I know small arms are only represented in these games as statistics, but still important. Moreover, I'll bet there are some serious experts on here. Me personally, I know just a superficial bit about this stuff and mostly I'm just being selfish and hoping to learn more from you guys who probably know all kinds of interesting trivia about WWII weapons, units, etc.
So, what do you think was the best WWII small arm device for each of the basic categories? Give reasons based on what you know. Maybe someone else will know a bit more or something different and change your mind [:D]
Bolt-Action Rifles
I'm going to say the Mauser Karabiner 98K, just simply for the accuracy and range. Maybe there were better ones though?
Semi-Automatic Rifles
Was there a better SAR in the WWII era than the M1-Garand?
Sub-Machine Guns
I'll go with the Russian PPs-41. Sounds slightly unreliable, but a nice balance of accuracy, lethality, range, and burst size (71 rounds is more than 3X what a single clip in a Thompson held!!). I thought this line was chilling
Yikes! An entire DIVISION of high-capacity SMGs!? Not what I'd want to have sneak up on me in a dark alley on a cold Stalingrad night!!
I suppose the MP44/StG44 could be argued to fit the same role as an MP40, a Thompson, a Sten, a PPs-41, etc., but since it came so late in the war and fits into its own category of "Assault Rifle" maybe it should be considered an apple to the orange of the true sub-machineguns?
I wonder if things might have turned out a bit differently had the Nazi programs to develop the first assault rifles been 3 or 4 years advanced? I seem to recall reading about how assault rifles "revolutionized" warfare yet again, but I can't say I totally get how and why.
So, what do you think was the best WWII small arm device for each of the basic categories? Give reasons based on what you know. Maybe someone else will know a bit more or something different and change your mind [:D]
Bolt-Action Rifles
I'm going to say the Mauser Karabiner 98K, just simply for the accuracy and range. Maybe there were better ones though?
Semi-Automatic Rifles
Was there a better SAR in the WWII era than the M1-Garand?
Sub-Machine Guns
I'll go with the Russian PPs-41. Sounds slightly unreliable, but a nice balance of accuracy, lethality, range, and burst size (71 rounds is more than 3X what a single clip in a Thompson held!!). I thought this line was chilling
Over 6 million of these weapons were produced by the end of the war. The Soviets would often equip whole regiments and even entire divisions with the weapon, giving them unmatched short-range firepower.
Yikes! An entire DIVISION of high-capacity SMGs!? Not what I'd want to have sneak up on me in a dark alley on a cold Stalingrad night!!
I suppose the MP44/StG44 could be argued to fit the same role as an MP40, a Thompson, a Sten, a PPs-41, etc., but since it came so late in the war and fits into its own category of "Assault Rifle" maybe it should be considered an apple to the orange of the true sub-machineguns?
I wonder if things might have turned out a bit differently had the Nazi programs to develop the first assault rifles been 3 or 4 years advanced? I seem to recall reading about how assault rifles "revolutionized" warfare yet again, but I can't say I totally get how and why.