Page 1 of 1
How best to use LEE?
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:27 pm
by GBS
I play semi randum with unknown ratings. Lee has appeared in spring of 62 and I wanted to make the best use of his abilities. I ended up replacing Beauregard with Lee as AC with the plan of eventually sending him (Beauregard) west to replace Polk as AC. But why not make Lee TC, replacing Cooper in the east and promote Jackson to AC. (I just lost Longstreet along with Ewell at Manassas) Old Joe Johnson remains as AC in Virginia.
Everyones Army command modifier is (?) unknown. Also, what about sending Lee to the west as an AC or even TC?
Playing with unknown ratings that are somewhat randum is tough.
RE: How best to use LEE?
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:37 pm
by Harvey Birdman
What are the ratings?
With the historical ratings:
Johnson's +4 infantry training skill is valuable, so I'd never dismiss him as TC.
At the start I make Twigg the 2nd TC, he's crap but he's got +4 political rating so he earns 3 political points/turn instead of the one/turn you get for leaving it unfilled.
I like Bragg to be the 2nd TC eventually. His +4 political rating & infantry training skill success points means his promotion points are high and command points grow fast.
My second choice for TC would be Joe Johnston. Based on a comparison of their attack/defense and infantry/artillery skill. Bragg is more valuable as a TC and Johnston is more valuable as an AC.
And lastly with historical ratings(4 star, 20 command 4 admin), Lee would be an allstar TC, but his 4/4 attack/defence and 20 command ratings make him an MVP AC.
A good TC 4 star 20 command 4 admin.
When evaluating 2 star leaders as possible TC's: 4 or more admin and +4 political rating means a +4 jump in command rating when promoted to AC and getting a third star. Those big jumps in command rating means the promotion points grow fast too for the fourth star.
A good AC: High attack/defence and command rating as possible. 0 army mod. Allows an AC to outcommit/outuncommit his troops compared to the opposing AC ratings in determing the size of the battle.
RE: How best to use LEE?
Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:12 am
by John Neal
ORIGINAL: GBS
I play semi randum with unknown ratings. Lee has appeared in spring of 62 and I wanted to make the best use of his abilities. I ended up replacing Beauregard with Lee as AC with the plan of eventually sending him (Beauregard) west to replace Polk as AC. But why not make Lee TC, replacing Cooper in the east and promote Jackson to AC. (I just lost Longstreet along with Ewell at Manassas) Old Joe Johnson remains as AC in Virginia.
Everyones Army command modifier is (?) unknown. Also, what about sending Lee to the west as an AC or even TC?
Playing with unknown ratings that are somewhat randum is tough.
GBS -
Like Harvey said: "What are the ratings? ". With Semi random it all depends on what the ratings of all the leaders turn out to be. I played most my games with semi-random until recently. From reading the forums most seem to like historical ratings, so I've been going along with that.
Look at what Theater commanders need, 20 command points, 4 admin points, and 4 stars. Army commanders want initiative (4 on attack, and no minus to army modifier), and the other numbers (attack, defense, infantry, cav, arty) add to the units they command. Lee has many points in those other numbers, so odds are he's better as an Army Commander, if you can find a decent theater commander.