Page 1 of 1

Taking New Orleans

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:36 pm
by coach3play4
I cant seem to take New orleans. I know how to take the forts - - I can contol the river, and I can get a good size army in the forts after I capture them. But no matter what - I can not get initive nor move any units to NO hex. Is it Banks - should I invade from DC? what do you do (my game is against the AI)

RE: Taking New Orleans

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:55 pm
by heroldje
always invade from either fort monroe or DC.  dont waste a AC down there.  What I do is take the forts (shoudl be relatively painless) and then amphib land in N.O. with 4-5 infantry.  That should do it.  Side note:  I never bother anymore.  Its not worth the investment of time and troops.  Just take one of the forts, place guns, and focus elsewhere. 

RE: Taking New Orleans

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:16 pm
by Bo Rearguard
I've yet to take New Orleans from the south. I usually just make it the ultimate goal of the march down the Mississippi. Gotta have something to aim for. Might as well be Cajun cuisine. [8D]

RE: Taking New Orleans

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:38 am
by herwin
I maintain an AC in Baltimore and invade from there. NO is not heavily held by the AI, and the surprise helps. You might want to put mounted infantry in some of the forts to recon the CSA forces before you invade.

The AI is overly careful choosing its invasion sites.

RE: Taking New Orleans

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:44 am
by John Neal
If your opponent puts a fortress in Baton Rouge, with a bunch of heavy Artillery, New Orleans is tough to take.
Even if you can get in, you'll be out of supply untill you take out the guns in baton rouge.. (I found that out the hard way)

RE: Taking New Orleans

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:27 am
by herwin
ORIGINAL: John Neal

If your opponent puts a fortress in Baton Rouge, with a bunch of heavy Artillery, New Orleans is tough to take.
Even if you can get in, you'll be out of supply untill you take out the guns in baton rouge.. (I found that out the hard way)

Come again? Baton Rouge is upriver.

RE: Taking New Orleans

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:31 am
by JAMiAM
ORIGINAL: herwin

ORIGINAL: John Neal

If your opponent puts a fortress in Baton Rouge, with a bunch of heavy Artillery, New Orleans is tough to take.
Even if you can get in, you'll be out of supply untill you take out the guns in baton rouge.. (I found that out the hard way)

Come again? Baton Rouge is upriver.
It shares a border with the same river region that New Orleans is invaded from. Thus, Op Fire from Baton Rouge can hit units invading New Orleans. There's talk about fixing this in the next update so that it doesn't.

RE: Taking New Orleans

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:51 am
by herwin
ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

ORIGINAL: herwin

ORIGINAL: John Neal

If your opponent puts a fortress in Baton Rouge, with a bunch of heavy Artillery, New Orleans is tough to take.
Even if you can get in, you'll be out of supply untill you take out the guns in baton rouge.. (I found that out the hard way)

Come again? Baton Rouge is upriver.
It shares a border with the same river region that New Orleans is invaded from. Thus, Op Fire from Baton Rouge can hit units invading New Orleans. There's talk about fixing this in the next update so that it doesn't.

Oh, wonderful! Such a beautiful FUBAR.