Page 1 of 1

man I love this game

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:51 am
by skryking
I truly like this game, been playing it for 3 months and keep getting my butt womped but its still too cool...
:)

Keep at It

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:29 am
by Wild Bill
You'll get it, my friend. Hang in there! Victory is on the way.

Wild Bill:)

Re: man I love this game

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:09 am
by Greg McCarty
Originally posted by skryking
I truly like this game, been playing it for 3 months and keep getting my butt womped but its still too cool...
:)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:) Oh yeah, be patient. This game is a great teacher, as well
as a historic tool. Read and follow the tutorials, keep your scenarios simple at first. Pay careful attention to how the game behaves under your chosen set of preferences. You will develop skills and intuition. Read historic military material. Generally
speaking, tactics proven sound on the battlefied should work well
in the game system. I picked up a few tricks from Russian battlefield doctrine that worked well in the game. One of them was the reverse slope defense.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:27 am
by Supervisor
What a minute, you can actually win in this game? Been playing since the beginning and I never win. What a minute I'm beginning to see a trend, now that I look closely they're all created by Wild Bill. Be forwarned when you see this man's name attached to a battle, he is known by all of us who fear him as the master of sneakyness. I'm much better now, seriously though the tutorials are a great way to learn how to use your forces correctly.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 10:16 am
by skryking
Thanks for the advice, I worked my way through the tutorials after a bit of practice, I'm currently dealing with this agony of doom battle.... I keep taking massive casualties trying to work may way past the first line of entrenched defenses... Any advice?

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:30 pm
by Larry Holt
Skryng, Good tactics prevails in the game as in real life. Are you familar with overwatch, bounding units, etc.? If not may I modestly suggest that you read my tactics guide at: http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/spwaw_downloads.htm ?

Master of Tactics

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:36 pm
by Wild Bill
Thanks Gmenfan! My evil preceeds me :eek:

But you are too kind. Your skills in warfare are underestimated here. Careful guys, he is a deadly opponent.

I would like to strongly recommend Larry's guide to war. He has some very helpful ideas on tactics "low level" as they are presented in the game.

Of course, the best way to learn is by your own trial and error method.

Some scenarios are harder than others. Hopefully, none are "too easy," but you'll find a few that will be the cause of more than a little frustration. Even so, they are still fun to play.

WB

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 10:26 pm
by JTGEN
Me too. Have played it far too much for close two years, god is it that long.

Just remember when you see Wild Bill's name there. Where you see nice cover I see mines. That is what it makes when you play those campaigns.

It makes you SO WERY SUSPICIOUS.

Time for a Change

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:44 am
by Wild Bill
Aha! Time for a change, JT. You've caught up with my tricks! I'm sure I can come up with something :p

WB

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:39 am
by skryking
Larry,

What reader do you use to view the ebooks?


Thanks in advance....

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 9:28 am
by Supervisor
Ebooks should open just fine with almost any version of Acrobat Reader (Free). At least thats what I use without any problems.

drat!

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:49 am
by Hussar
I thought that the only way to play was shoulder to shoulder. fix bayonets and "Charrrrrrrrge!!!!"

No wonder I havn't won a game yet!

Re: drat!

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:29 pm
by challenge
Originally posted by Hussar
I thought that the only way to play was shoulder to shoulder. fix bayonets and "Charrrrrrrrge!!!!"
This is WWII game, not Napoleanics. I also vouch for the aforementioned tactical manual. I went from loosing a game to holding my own (really long game) simply by adjusting my plans and actions based on what I read.

Of course, re-reading Mushashii at the same time didn't hurt. :rolleyes: :D

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 1:15 am
by Wild Bill
That is the way Hussars fight. Boyah!

Of course, like you, I get slaughtered a lot. I go to the sound of the guns!

Wild Bill

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 7:29 am
by Wayne1956
Best game I have ever played!:)