Page 1 of 2
Best Pacific game
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:01 am
by buzard
I realize this is a subjective question. Which of the WWII
Pacific game has the best AI. Or perhaps I should say, which
AI makes the least stupid mistakes would be more accurate.
I'm only interested in single player at the moment.
buzard
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 am
by Erik Rutins
The upcoming War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. That will require WITP to play however, so I'd say WITP now in preparation for that release, which won't be too much longer.
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:59 pm
by invernomuto
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
The upcoming War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition.
Upcoming when?
[:D][:D][:D]
However, I agree that WITP is THE game about the pacific and one of the best wargame I've ever played. Very difficult to start, but definitely a masterpiece IMHO.
BYE!!!
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:45 pm
by NefariousKoel
I've had some challenge out of Carriers at War, here, from Matrix.
I like the fact that you could play a scenario in a couple hours instead of a couple years. [:'(]
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:26 am
by Jeffrey H.
Has there ever been a PC game along the lines of the old Yaquinto Flattop game ?
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:41 am
by bradfordkay
Jeffrey. Carriers At War would be the closest to Flattop, which was done by Battleline Games. Yaquinto used the same game designers and system for CV, which covered the battle of Midway.
War In The Pacific is definitely the best game on the Pacific Theatre, but the AI is only good for about the first year of the war. After that, the AI bogs down tremendously... However, you will get a tremendous number of hours of gameplay out of that.
I average one to two hours per turn in WITP, and have put in about 800 turns against the AI and am now on turn 705 of PBEM play. It is definitely the best gaming value for my money...
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:10 am
by Chad Harrison
Not to beat the horse, but I will have to also throw in my hat for War in the Pacific.
While many may find the AI to be silly, if you are new to the game the AI is quite the opponent. Obviously once you play a human opponent via PBEM (which is much, much more enjoyable for any game by the way), its hard to go back to the AI.
As Erik pointed out, Admirals Edition will expand on the AI, but WitP:AE would be a beast to learn if you have never played WitP/UV.
Hope this helps.
Chad
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:15 am
by Chad Harrison
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
The upcoming War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. That will require WITP to play however, so I'd say WITP now in preparation for that release, which won't be too much longer.
Hey Erik
On a side note, all we get a round about answers in the WitP forums. Can you shed any light on when we should expect to see WitP:AE?
I know a specific date is out of the question, but just a range would be great.
I know that I am not the only one greatly looking forward to to this great title.
Thanks in advance.
Chad
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:21 pm
by Jeffrey H.
ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
Jeffrey. Carriers At War would be the closest to Flattop, which was done by Battleline Games. Yaquinto used the same game designers and system for CV, which covered the battle of Midway.
War In The Pacific is definitely the best game on the Pacific Theatre, but the AI is only good for about the first year of the war. After that, the AI bogs down tremendously... However, you will get a tremendous number of hours of gameplay out of that.
I average one to two hours per turn in WITP, and have put in about 800 turns against the AI and am now on turn 705 of PBEM play. It is definitely the best gaming value for my money...
Sorry, meant Battleline. (forehead slap).
Carriers at War eh ? Ok, I'll check it out. I always wanted to play a double blind version of Flattop. I have WitP but I'm not sure I can make the commitment to the time factor right now, maybe after I retire in 12 years ! Ha.
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:14 pm
by invernomuto
CAW is a good game. It has some shortcomings but it's definitely worth a try.
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:39 pm
by FirstPappy
The rumor is that Battlefront/Fury's SC2 Pacific Theater will be released on Dec 7th.
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?op ... Itemid=303
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:12 am
by buzard
Thanks for the info. I've played Gary's games on the Apple II and have attempted to
play UV. I kept running into a "feature" everytime I started a scenerio in UV.
If you do a search for buzard you'll find a few of my questions for a few years back.
Thought I'd see what has happened since I,ve been away. I don't mind a long learning
process as long as I can keep going. Like I said in UV I had to keep starting over
every time I tried to play.
buzard
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:38 am
by buzard
After thought. What about WitP but only go for 2 years. Granted that somewhat
defeats the design of the game, but if it keeps the AI a little sharper I could
deal with that. And I would get some time with the game system if AE proves to
firm up the AI for longer runs.
buzard
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:15 am
by Gem35
You won't find a better pacific wargame than WitP.
As bradkordkay said, best value for your money of all the Matrix titles.
look for it in the first quarter of 2009(I predicted it's release by chrismas-time back in january.)[:)]
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:28 am
by Sarge
ORIGINAL: buzard
I realize this is a subjective question. Which of the WWII
Pacific game has the best AI. Or perhaps I should say, which
AI makes the least stupid mistakes would be more accurate.
I'm only interested in single player at the moment.
buzard
Look no further !
War In the Pacific , Carriers At War and Rising Sun about covers every scale and combined should quench your PTO thirst for years to come.
But if your bent on signaling one title out forget what I said and go with Uncommon Valor before making the WITP commitment .[;)]
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:59 pm
by SuluSea
You can't go wrong with Carriers At War or Uncommon Valor, I just made the splash with War in the Pacific thanks to Matrix's holiday sale I'm sure that is a quality game as well.[:)]
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:15 am
by Grell
I by far played more WitP than any other pacific game, it is the game.
Regards,
Grell
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:15 am
by Banquet
I think WitP is the seminal PC sim/game of the pacific conflict. I've struggled with it though. There is just so much to take in and do. If I plan a major offensive it's hard for me (being a bit impatient) to think that it won't actually happen for dozens of turns (and so maybe weeks of real time if playing a turn or 2 a day)
I'll certainly be buying AE when it comes out, although I realise that will add even more detail for my already struggling brain to take in.
I'm actually really looking forward to trying War Plan Pacific, which seems like the complete opposite of WitP. The ability to complete the campaign in an evening's sitting will be a nice change, although I'm sure I'll miss many of the details in WitP.
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:09 pm
by Veer
Uncommon Valor, easily.
Land combat leaves a lot to be desired, but then the Pacific is not about land combat is it! [:'(]
Definitely worth a pick up before you commit to WITP.
RE: Best Pacific game
Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:16 pm
by GJK
ORIGINAL: Banquet
I'm actually really looking forward to trying War Plan Pacific, which seems like the complete opposite of WitP. The ability to complete the campaign in an evening's sitting will be a nice change, although I'm sure I'll miss many of the details in WitP.
Same here.