Page 1 of 1

Setting range

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2000 12:10 am
by JimY
Should units always obey the firing range setting or should they sometimes use opportunity at ranges over the range that I set? Also, if a unit is fired upon in my turn does a unit's range setting sometimes automatically increase to the range of the enemy unit firing on it? I would deeply appreciate an answer. Thank you in advance and for the outstanding game.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2000 12:18 am
by Voriax
This was discussed in another topic a while ago I think.

In any case if you set a maximum range, then your unit should not _initiate_ fire beyong that range.

However if that unit is fired upon and if the unit decides to return fire it'll ignore the range setting.

This is how it should be, IMHO. If the units would always obey the range settings then it would be possible to sneak in some spotters and then blast at sitting ducks from longer range.

Voriax

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2000 12:19 am
by Paul Vebber
In general they should obey the range you set, unless they get shot at, then the range changes so they can shoot back if an opportunity fire is triggered.

AS with most things in the code, I'm sure there are exceptions...

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2000 6:51 am
by JimY
Thank you for the answers. I was playing the British side and had set my ranges at about one-half of maximum because of the futility of firing beyond that range. I noticed that when the superior German guns fired at my units their range setting would increase. Then my units would engage in futile firing. Infantry units in Sp3 have always seemed to follow their range settings, but armor sometimes does not. I thought that it was a matter of experience and morale. It just surprised me to see every tank do the same thing. Maybe other scenarios will be different.