OT.. wake island
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:48 am
You gents catch the old Wake Island Movie from '42 on AMC?? corny, but nothing like the old ones..
ORIGINAL: stuman
I watched " They Were Expendable " a few days ago. Great movie about MTB -3. Realistic in setting and tone, but they do have the PTs sinking cruisers and a Light Carrier.
ORIGINAL: Big B
Agree,
Although if memory serves me correctly, MTB-3 actually did torpedo a Japanese CL (forgot which one) - but the torpedo was a dud. From what I remember reading, the real 'hit' looked convincing to the PT men (lots of water splash), but only superficial damage was actually sustained on the CL.
I am pretty familiar with the movie - but I don't think they depicted any attack on any kind of CV - if I recall correctly the movie depicted successful attacks on numerous barges around Bataan, the sinking of a 'converted merchant cruiser', and culminated in the sinking of a Japanese CL (which was supposed to be a Mogami Class in the movie).
Anyway, an enjoyable film.
BORIGINAL: stuman
I watched " They Were Expendable " a few days ago. Great movie about MTB -3. Realistic in setting and tone, but they do have the PTs sinking cruisers and a Light Carrier.
ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL
ORIGINAL: Big B
Agree,
Although if memory serves me correctly, MTB-3 actually did torpedo a Japanese CL (forgot which one) - but the torpedo was a dud. From what I remember reading, the real 'hit' looked convincing to the PT men (lots of water splash), but only superficial damage was actually sustained on the CL.
I am pretty familiar with the movie - but I don't think they depicted any attack on any kind of CV - if I recall correctly the movie depicted successful attacks on numerous barges around Bataan, the sinking of a 'converted merchant cruiser', and culminated in the sinking of a Japanese CL (which was supposed to be a Mogami Class in the movie).
Anyway, an enjoyable film.
BORIGINAL: stuman
I watched " They Were Expendable " a few days ago. Great movie about MTB -3. Realistic in setting and tone, but they do have the PTs sinking cruisers and a Light Carrier.
Yes, 'They Were Expendable' is an excellent movie! I was lucky enough to be able to record the colorized version off TBS many years ago. As Big B said, I can concur that there was no CV sinking or attack in this movie. Sounds like something that would have come out of 'In Harms Way' but I'm not sure.
TOMLABEL
ORIGINAL: Big B
Actually, 'In Harms Way' didn't purport the sinking of any Jap CV's either.
I think the egregious movie that was so over the top that everyone remembers was 'Air Force'. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035616/
In that movie (from 1943) a lone B-17D starts the war landing at Wake Is., fly's to the Philippines, mounts a machine gun in the tail (surprise!) and ends up sinking ...half the Imperial Japanese Navy off Luzon? Anyway, it was a pure moral booster from 1943 - and none too accurate....but hey - its intended audience wasn't concerned with accuracy at the time. [:D]ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL
ORIGINAL: Big B
Agree,
Although if memory serves me correctly, MTB-3 actually did torpedo a Japanese CL (forgot which one) - but the torpedo was a dud. From what I remember reading, the real 'hit' looked convincing to the PT men (lots of water splash), but only superficial damage was actually sustained on the CL.
I am pretty familiar with the movie - but I don't think they depicted any attack on any kind of CV - if I recall correctly the movie depicted successful attacks on numerous barges around Bataan, the sinking of a 'converted merchant cruiser', and culminated in the sinking of a Japanese CL (which was supposed to be a Mogami Class in the movie).
Anyway, an enjoyable film.
B
Yes, 'They Were Expendable' is an excellent movie! I was lucky enough to be able to record the colorized version off TBS many years ago. As Big B said, I can concur that there was no CV sinking or attack in this movie. Sounds like something that would have come out of 'In Harms Way' but I'm not sure.
TOMLABEL
ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL
...
But I can't remember if I've seen 'Air Force' or not. Kinda sounds like a move along the lines of 'A Wing and a Prayer'. Maybe I'd better head over to the Geezer's thread....[8|]
ORIGINAL: spence
IIRC, the attack on the CV (in "They Were Expendable") is mentioned by "Lt Buckley" when they are begging torpedos from "Snuffy" (or some such) who is CO of a submarine. Apparently "Snuffy's acting career at the USNA is felt to be of possible interest to the submarine's crew by Lt Buckley but is best kept obscure by "LT Snuffy".[:D]
BTW I think the CV is actually called "an auxiliary aircraft carrier".
ORIGINAL: Big B
Wasn't 'Wing and a Prayer' a wartime movie that depicted, or fictionalized, a carrier known as 'carrier X' and the battle of Midway and the comeback later in the war?
Geezer's Thread??? You??? [:D]
ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL
...
But I can't remember if I've seen 'Air Force' or not. Kinda sounds like a move along the lines of 'A Wing and a Prayer'. Maybe I'd better head over to the Geezer's thread....[8|]
You may well be correct spence... (Hey - Bulkeley I think was his real name...in the movie he was 'Brickley'...no?)
ORIGINAL: spence
IIRC, the attack on the CV (in "They Were Expendable") is mentioned by "Lt Buckley" when they are begging torpedos from "Snuffy" (or some such) who is CO of a submarine. Apparently "Snuffy's acting career at the USNA is felt to be of possible interest to the submarine's crew by Lt Buckley but is best kept obscure by "LT Snuffy".[:D]
BTW I think the CV is actually called "an auxiliary aircraft carrier".
ORIGINAL: stuman
The scene in " ... Expendable " I am thinking of is gone in the blink of an eye. There is a leader board or kill board showing ships the guys have sunk, and on it is listed a Light Carrier. No big deal of course.
ORIGINAL: Big B
Hollywooood! (Spielberg, ...1941)[:D]
ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL
ORIGINAL: Big B
Hollywooood! (Spielberg, ...1941)[:D]
One of the most memorable scenes of that move![:D]
As I recall.....a long lost, and missed avatar as well![;)]
TOMLABEL

ORIGINAL: Big B
Ahhh yes - Wild Bill Kelso [:D]ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL
ORIGINAL: Big B
Hollywooood! (Spielberg, ...1941)[:D]
One of the most memorable scenes of that move![:D]
As I recall.....a long lost, and missed avatar as well![;)]
TOMLABEL
![]()