Page 1 of 1

Is this a bug?

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:18 pm
by joe6778
I'm new to UV and trying to learn the game. In the scenario I'm playing, the intelligence report doesn't show how many IJN ships I have damaged and destroyed. I have damaged quite a few and sunk one so far.

Does this have to do with Fog of War or is this a bug?

RE: Is this a bug?

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:27 am
by borner
welcome!
 
once you sink a ship, it will show up under that section. The only way of tracking damaged ships is to keep a notepad or something handy and record them. The actual damage you inflict, how much sys damage and such, is not shown.
 
 

RE: Is this a bug?

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:56 pm
by joe6778
The Intelligence Report screen keeps a running total of my victory points, doesn't it? Why does it show my damaged ships/victory points but not the IJN ships I damaged?
 
In addition, I'm having a hard time learning basic mechanics of the game. The manual gives a lot of detailed info, but I'm not that concerned right now with fuel loads, ship supply capacity, etc. I need to know how simple commands work, how to do basic actions like move troops, rest pilots, etc.  
 
For instance, I'm inflicting a lot of damage on ships day after day, but they seem to recover. How hard is it to sink them?
Why won't my ground troops march when I give the command? 
 
Is there a site that lays out the simple mechanics of the game? The player's manual doesn't help much.
 

RE: Is this a bug?

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:41 pm
by DEB
ORIGINAL: joe6778

The Intelligence Report screen keeps a running total of my victory points, doesn't it? Why does it show my damaged ships/victory points but not the IJN ships I damaged?

It's Fog of War. Keep checking and it will "confirm" eventually, but only "losses" I think ( not damage ).
In addition, I'm having a hard time learning basic mechanics of the game. The manual gives a lot of detailed info, but I'm not that concerned right now with fuel loads, ship supply capacity, etc. I need to know how simple commands work, how to do basic actions like move troops, rest pilots, etc.
 

It can be a lot to take onboard, but you do need to learn most ( if not all ) of it eventually. Just keep trying and rechecking the manual re your queries. The simple stuff is in there too. Try it one query at a time and try not to get side tracked by other information.
For instance, I'm inflicting a lot of damage on ships day after day, but they seem to recover. How hard is it to sink them?


Quite hard for the bigger ones (CL's and above). Recovery is normal for them unless damage is high and/or you can hit them again.
Why won't my ground troops march when I give the command?


Can be several reasons. Time delay in receiving & implimenting orders & Suppy levels being too low come to mind. However, you need to bear in mind also that a hex covers a large distance and it take infantry a long time to cover that distance, particulary if on foot and/or not on a road.
It can take several turns to move a hex or two, dependent on transport & terrain.
Is there a site that lays out the simple mechanics of the game? The player's manual doesn't help much.

Not aware of one. Others will know better. Have you played the tutorial?
I would suggust you try it if you have not already.


RE: Is this a bug?

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:45 pm
by joe6778
Thanks for the info. All of this helps me learn to play the game better.
 
I've played the third scenario and a couple of things that I noticed and don't understand yet:
 
1)The US CAP stinks: I had a bunch of fighters intercept some IJN bombers that were unescorted and I didn't even destroy one bomber! The IJN escorts handle my CAP quite easily and all the IJN bombers usually get through.
 
2)My transports and minesweepers can't get anywhere near Port Moresby or Gili Gili without being wiped out even with CAP over them.
 
3)The only way I can transport troops from Australia to New Guinea is by air- a very slow process.
 
4) I have a ton of planes in Australia, but I can't use them because they're out of range and my New Guinea ABs can't handle them.
 
5) Why is it that when I try to air transport ground units, they sometimes just transport supplies instead?

RE: Is this a bug?

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:32 pm
by Kingfisher
ORIGINAL: joe6778

5) Why is it that when I try to air transport ground units, they sometimes just transport supplies instead?

Certain portions of ground units are not air-transportable. Some examples would be base force radars, heavy guns or AFVs. When you assign a transport to fly a unit from say Townsville to PM, it will fly as much as allowable, then switch to supply runs to the same destination. When you check the originating base you'll see the portion the planes can't fly out. These elements can only be shipped to their destination.

RE: Is this a bug?

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:20 pm
by joe6778
Thanks. I wish that was made a little clearer in the manual.

RE: Is this a bug?

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:57 pm
by Kingfisher
2)My transports and minesweepers can't get anywhere near Port Moresby or Gili Gili without being wiped out even with CAP over them.

In the early phase of the campaign the allies suffer from CAP with low experience and transport without any real naval escorts. Try sending in smaller task forces composed of 1-2 transports and modest escorts. This spreads the risk of losing ships and embarked ground units. Another benefit is small transport TFs take far less time to unload, so assuming the destination port is in good condition and adequately garrisoned, you could have your ships arrive in the evening and out by morning.