T-34/76: Question about its different models
Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:00 pm
I have been giving a close look to the different T-34/76 models and how are they modeled in SPWaW.
As far as I know there were four mayor T-34/76 models. I give a short description of their most important characteristics:
* T-34m40
It was a pre war development and had a 76.2mm L-11 gun
* T-34 m41
Gun: 76.2mm F-34 (longer and better)
Cheaper cast turret instead the welded one.
This version had many technical faults (specially gear box and suspension).
* T-34 m42:
Basic:
Driver's hatch with two periscopes.
New shape of access hatch in the rear armor plate.
Modified engine's air intake.
All-steel road-wheels
Modified 550mm wide tracks
Additional armor on hull's machine gun
Details depending on production factory:
Stalingrad (STZ) and Leningrad (Factory No. 27) had often additional armor plates on the turret and front of the hull. STZ tanks had different shape of 76.2 mm gun mantlet too.
* T-34/76m43:
Thickening of the front armor to 70mm
Introduction of the new five speed gearbox.
New hexagonal cast turret: this was the more visible important difference between this model and previous versions. New hexagonal turret was bigger than previous models ones and allowed the addition of a third man in the turret (a loader).
Difference was so notable that Germans taught that it was a new soviet tank: T-43 (they were not very wrong since the turret had been taken from an abandoned universal tank project).
New turret came in four styles: "hardedge", "softedge", "laminate" and ChTZ produced in Chelyabinsk.
There are 5 types of T-34 in Soviet OOB in SPWaW on 1943:
T-34 m41
T-34 m41 imp
T-34 m41 E
T-34 m42 imp
T-34 m43
So my question are:
Firstly:
How does versions in SPWaW match with the real versions? For example: is T-34m41 imp the version produced in STZ factory?
Secondly:
Model m41 is the cheapest one, followed by m43. As units cost in SPWaW is related with its combat capacity (and not with its real cost of production) I can assume that designers consider m43 to be in general worst than all the other versions except the original m41.
Why is this?
I thought that m43 was an improved version better than the previous models.
Looking into different models characteristics it seems that m43 is the poorest armored of all -except the m41. That surprised me since all books I have about T-34 say that m43 had a thinker front armor (70mm as I said above). I guess that one possible explanation for this can be that the other models (m41 E, m42imp and m41 imp) were those from Stalingrad and Leningrad factories, which had added armor plates. Is this the explanation or there is other thing?
Other thing I notice is that m43 has the best fire control of all T-34/76 models. Is this to reflect the third crewman in the turret? Or m43 did have some other improvement in optics that I don't know and made it better than previous versions in its accuracy?
Related with the third crewman: I think that the addition of the loader in m43 model should improve thank capacity to fire faster. But this doesn't be the case: given the same crew experience m43 seems to have the same shots per turn than all the other two crew-men T-34 models. Am I right here? If yes, why is this? -
Additionally I think that the third crewman should improve unit's spot ability ... but I'm not sure if SPWaW goes that far in modeling units real behavior ...
Finally: The 76.2mm F-34 gun in m42 and m43 has a better performance using AP ammunition than the other models. Is this related to the gun itself (an improvement in F-34 gun) or to the AP ammunition in late 42?
Tanks in advance
As far as I know there were four mayor T-34/76 models. I give a short description of their most important characteristics:
* T-34m40
It was a pre war development and had a 76.2mm L-11 gun
* T-34 m41
Gun: 76.2mm F-34 (longer and better)
Cheaper cast turret instead the welded one.
This version had many technical faults (specially gear box and suspension).
* T-34 m42:
Basic:
Driver's hatch with two periscopes.
New shape of access hatch in the rear armor plate.
Modified engine's air intake.
All-steel road-wheels
Modified 550mm wide tracks
Additional armor on hull's machine gun
Details depending on production factory:
Stalingrad (STZ) and Leningrad (Factory No. 27) had often additional armor plates on the turret and front of the hull. STZ tanks had different shape of 76.2 mm gun mantlet too.
* T-34/76m43:
Thickening of the front armor to 70mm
Introduction of the new five speed gearbox.
New hexagonal cast turret: this was the more visible important difference between this model and previous versions. New hexagonal turret was bigger than previous models ones and allowed the addition of a third man in the turret (a loader).
Difference was so notable that Germans taught that it was a new soviet tank: T-43 (they were not very wrong since the turret had been taken from an abandoned universal tank project).
New turret came in four styles: "hardedge", "softedge", "laminate" and ChTZ produced in Chelyabinsk.
There are 5 types of T-34 in Soviet OOB in SPWaW on 1943:
T-34 m41
T-34 m41 imp
T-34 m41 E
T-34 m42 imp
T-34 m43
So my question are:
Firstly:
How does versions in SPWaW match with the real versions? For example: is T-34m41 imp the version produced in STZ factory?
Secondly:
Model m41 is the cheapest one, followed by m43. As units cost in SPWaW is related with its combat capacity (and not with its real cost of production) I can assume that designers consider m43 to be in general worst than all the other versions except the original m41.
Why is this?
I thought that m43 was an improved version better than the previous models.
Looking into different models characteristics it seems that m43 is the poorest armored of all -except the m41. That surprised me since all books I have about T-34 say that m43 had a thinker front armor (70mm as I said above). I guess that one possible explanation for this can be that the other models (m41 E, m42imp and m41 imp) were those from Stalingrad and Leningrad factories, which had added armor plates. Is this the explanation or there is other thing?
Other thing I notice is that m43 has the best fire control of all T-34/76 models. Is this to reflect the third crewman in the turret? Or m43 did have some other improvement in optics that I don't know and made it better than previous versions in its accuracy?
Related with the third crewman: I think that the addition of the loader in m43 model should improve thank capacity to fire faster. But this doesn't be the case: given the same crew experience m43 seems to have the same shots per turn than all the other two crew-men T-34 models. Am I right here? If yes, why is this? -
Additionally I think that the third crewman should improve unit's spot ability ... but I'm not sure if SPWaW goes that far in modeling units real behavior ...
Finally: The 76.2mm F-34 gun in m42 and m43 has a better performance using AP ammunition than the other models. Is this related to the gun itself (an improvement in F-34 gun) or to the AP ammunition in late 42?
Tanks in advance