Page 1 of 1

Aircraft in PBEM games...

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:04 pm
by campekenobi
I'm curious if anyone here actually prefers to have the option of buying battle planes in PBEM games.

I know that in doing so it seems rather unfair that you can SEE all of the enemy's units as you fly overhead, but wouldn't that be the case in real life? Or is the point more that trees would hide them from above?

So far I haven't played a PBEM game w/ planes other than a glider paratroop drop, so I'm just curious if anyone actually allows their opponents to buy planes.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:09 pm
by Goblin
I do not enjoy aircraft in online play. You asked about PBEM, but I guess they are close enough that you won't be upset.:)

Goblin

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:01 pm
by El_Peco
I know that in doing so it seems rather unfair that you can SEE all of the enemy's units as you fly overhead, but wouldn't that be the case in real life?


I usually use aircraft in pbem, and to tell the truth, I never noticed that feature, it seems to me that I can see some units, those that airplane can see, but perhaps I'm wrong.
However don't use airplanes can cut some funny moments (like, when my plane targeted a truck instead of a Pershing:rolleyes: ).

Regards.

Re: Aircraft in PBEM games...

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:13 am
by tracer
Originally posted by campekenobi


I know that in doing so it seems rather unfair that you can SEE all of the enemy's units as you fly overhead, but wouldn't that be the case in real life? Or is the point more that trees would hide them from above?
I hate to keep rehashing this, but if you use a plane in PBEM, your opponent will see all of your units...even those in cover. Your units only appear while the plane is on the map, disappearing again when the next turn starts, but using VCR playback your opponent can look all he wants. Its an old problem, and the reason most folks use the PBEM default of no air sections.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:17 pm
by campekenobi
Sorry to make you rehash; I appreciate the explanation.

If this has been a old 'problem', then why hasn't it been 'fixed' in the constant updating?

Up

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:05 pm
by Paul Vebber
Pushin down the moved thread placeholders

Re: Up

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:04 pm
by campekenobi
Originally posted by Paul Vebber
Pushin down the moved thread placeholders
I'm sorry, but what the heck does that mean?

Re: Re: Up

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:18 pm
by lnp4668
Originally posted by campekenobi


I'm sorry, but what the heck does that mean?
Some threads were moved, so he just wants to make sure this thread moves above them.