Page 1 of 3
Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:03 pm
by JudgeDredd
I know there aren't many fans on here for Steam, but I thought I'd let the people who don't mind it know that Take Command 2nd Manassas is currently £3.99!
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:38 pm
by V22 Osprey
I love Steam, thanks for the info.If its 3.99 european money, it must be 4.99 US money.
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:56 pm
by Arctic Blast
Actually, all the stuff Paradox has dev/publishing rights to is 50% off pretty much everywhere right through the weekend.
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:48 am
by killroyishere
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-PDX11ENG/take-command-2nd-manassas-eng
I recommend Gamersgate over Steam as their DRM is nothing like Steam. It's more like Matrixgames now. The price is $4.99 there.
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:31 am
by JudgeDredd
lmao - yes - it's also on Gamersgate for £3.15! Could've saved myself 84p! As a Scotsman, that's a big deal and if word gets out, I'm done for!
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:24 am
by Alan Sharif
An excellent title and well worth the price. I ,sadly, paid considerably more some years ago. There is a Gettysburg game using the same/updated sysyem in development.
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:27 am
by Tomus
My favourite war game ever. I absolutely loved it. I still play now 3 years on from release/
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:54 am
by JudgeDredd
I really enjoyed the tutorial - quite suspensful and it's been a long LONG time since I enjoyed a tutorial!
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:23 am
by jackx
Great game, with a lot of additional high quality custom content - most of it ACW, but there is some AWI and even SYW, too.
Paid a bit more than the current price for it, and certainly didn't regret it. Despite its not always too appealing look, it can demand quite a bit of processing power, though, particularly if you fastforward, and you'll probably want to do that unless you're a very patient person with a lot of free time (setting up an approach march is a wonderful experience, but spending an hour watching it take place not so much...

).
The AI is also not bad, but for the open play scenarios, the human player should be the OC - the AI doesn't always perform that well with the player as a subordinate commander outside of the scenarios.
All in all, this gets a strong recommendation - and at this price, you should have no excuse not to get it.
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:00 pm
by Feltan
I agree .... excellent game.
Have had it since it came out; don't regret paying top dollar for it. Have had hours of enjoyment for those few extra bucks.
Regards,
Feltan
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:22 pm
by Dennistoun
Yeah, I bought TC2M some months ago from GG for about £8 or £9 and I thought that was an okay price back then. It is a very enjoyable game and the mods are just great.
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:07 pm
by morvwilson
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
lmao - yes - it's also on Gamersgate for £3.15! Could've saved myself 84p! As a Scotsman, that's a big deal and if word gets out, I'm done for!
And since I am of Scottish stock, I can only think of one thing to say.
HAha![:D]
Made a few mistakes like that myself.
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:12 pm
by milkweg
I buy quite a few games from GG because they always have good sale prices on but their DRM isn nothing like Matrixgames. Read the FAQ at GG and you will see that every game has internet required activation DRM. They hgave limited installs too and you have to email them if you run out of those installs to get more. Finally, some of the games they sell have serial codes too because the game publisher demanded it. Like I said, nothing like Matrixgames at all.
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:40 pm
by wilecki
Steam at least always lists DRM when you buy a game and you know what you get, with Gamersgate there's sometimes a nasty surprise after you do it.
ORIGINAL: milkweg
I buy quite a few games from GG because they always have good sale prices on but their DRM isn nothing like Matrixgames. Read the FAQ at GG and you will see that every game has internet required activation DRM. They hgave limited installs too and you have to email them if you run out of those installs to get more. Finally, some of the games they sell have serial codes too because the game publisher demanded it. Like I said, nothing like Matrixgames at all.
Not every game from GG has DRM. For instance Paradox games don't (and Gamersgate is Paradox's outlet). They say that DRM and all limitations are requested by producers/developers. What is wrong is that they don't mention DRM sometimes and I agree that they've a lot to improve but I've been happy with them so far (mostly with the prices:). Recently they've even removed the internet activation requirement through their client, but it's still nothing compared to Matrixgames.
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:14 pm
by killroyishere
Well even matrixgames requires you to lookup and use that key everytime you add a patch. You'd think once you'd entered that key once that would be enough. But, nope when I download a new patch every single time I go to install it I have to go find that key code to put in. Already did it once why do we have to keep doing it? So, none of them are perfect. At least the Paradox games I get from GG all I have to do is download and install and I don't have to put in any silly key codes before, during or afterwards for patches. Much easier to use.
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:35 pm
by wilecki
ORIGINAL: killroyishere
Well even matrixgames requires you to lookup and use that key everytime you add a patch. You'd think once you'd entered that key once that would be enough. But, nope when I download a new patch every single time I go to install it I have to go find that key code to put in. Already did it once why do we have to keep doing it? So, none of them are perfect. At least the Paradox games I get from GG all I have to do is download and install and I don't have to put in any silly key codes before, during or afterwards for patches. Much easier to use.
Well I agree with you that this is a bit annoying but I understand that this approach helps Matrix to blacklist stolen and exposed serial numbers. Given how buggy and unfinished some of their games are, they're worthless without patches
By the way you'd like Good Old Games policy as they don't use any DRM or serials or anything else. Easy and simple. I mean I don't want to advertise anything, but since we're already comparing digital outlets, I only want to show that there is another way.
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:15 pm
by Arctic Blast
ORIGINAL: milkweg
I buy quite a few games from GG because they always have good sale prices on but their DRM isn nothing like Matrixgames. Read the FAQ at GG and you will see that every game has internet required activation DRM. They hgave limited installs too and you have to email them if you run out of those installs to get more. Finally, some of the games they sell have serial codes too because the game publisher demanded it. Like I said, nothing like Matrixgames at all.
Not quite. Some of the stuff they sell does use higher level DRM at the publisher's request (which is something they're finally starting to disclose on the game pages). Every game does NOT require Internet activation. And every game does NOT have limited installs. And for the ones that do have them they've made it very clear they don't care what the install limit is supposed to be, they'll give you more activations.
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:46 am
by sol_invictus
Just downloaded this from Steam for $5. What a steal. I really don't like ACW combat that much but got it for the great Horse and Musket mods.
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:26 pm
by jackx
The stock game is early ACW combat, so inf and arty combat still follow the 18th century model, maybe with a few extra yards of distance between opposing forces. No gallant cavalry charges though, but that's survivable, and the scenarios are well-made, so it's worth it to give the ACW a go, too.
RE: Take Command 2nd Manassas
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:33 pm
by sol_invictus
It is more of a dislike of gaming the war then the tactical aspects. I simply can't take pleasure with gaming my nation tearing itself apart. I love reading about the ACW but have never enjoyed gaming it much.