Page 1 of 1
Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:18 pm
by mikey67203
I am having trouble trying to set up search areas for Naval Search. I know you can specify a arc to search but can't find anything in the manual describing how to do it.
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:14 pm
by RAM
best way to do it I found to be manual.
When you click on nav search, in the screen, on the lower part, there's the search arcs selection. Click on "on map". Now the view is the map, centered on the current base. left click on a position in the map and you'll set up the first extreme of your search arc. Now with right click, you'll set up the other extreme of the search arc.
Your planes will look in the arc between the spot you left clicked and the spot you right clicked. Note that this is independent of range, it doesnt matter if you left or right click 5 hexes away from your base or 25. What you are setting is the extremes of the arc, nothing else, the planes will still search at the ranges you select in the squadron screen.
Hope I made myself understood. My english is rusty as hell.
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:24 pm
by mikey67203
Got it, thanks!
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:53 pm
by stuman
ORIGINAL: RAM
best way to do it I found to be manual.
When you click on nav search, in the screen, on the lower part, there's the search arcs selection. Click on "on map". Now the view is the map, centered on the current base. left click on a position in the map and you'll set up the first extreme of your search arc. Now with right click, you'll set up the other extreme of the search arc.
Your planes will look in the arc between the spot you left clicked and the spot you right clicked. Note that this is independent of range, it doesnt matter if you left or right click 5 hexes away from your base or 25. What you are setting is the extremes of the arc, nothing else, the planes will still search at the ranges you select in the squadron screen.
Hope I made myself understood. My english is rusty as hell.
Thx. And your english is a lot better than my spanish [:)]
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:40 am
by SuluSea
FWIW, There is a search arc diagram on the map.

RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:51 pm
by elescourret@yahoo.com
Do you need to reset your search arc after every turn to make sure you are searching the same area as the angle will change when your TF moves ? Or does the AI automatically keeps the same two original spots selected for the original arc and the angle moves with the TF accordingly ?
This is assuming my A/C are launched from a CV for a search, not from a land base in which case it's a non issue.
Thank you.
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:16 am
by Barb
Nope. 0=North, 180=South, 90=east, 270=west.
Anywhere on the map, any direction you are moving .... everytime....
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:53 am
by RAM
ORIGINAL: Petitcon
Do you need to reset your search arc after every turn to make sure you are searching the same area as the angle will change when your TF moves ? Or does the AI automatically keeps the same two original spots selected for the original arc and the angle moves with the TF accordingly ?
This is assuming my A/C are launched from a CV for a search, not from a land base in which case it's a non issue.
Thank you.
in my experience, the arcs are fixed. You're setting search on an absolute direction, not relative direction, which makes sense anyway because it's much simpler to implement, and it's also (At least for me) more intuitive...
So, if you set, say, a search arc of 220 to 350 degrees, it will still be 220 to 350 degrees in the next turn, irrelevant of how much, or where to, has your CV moved.
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:01 pm
by Graymane
Probably something to keep in mind is that I believe a single plane will search a 10 degree arc. So count up how many arcs you have and how many planes you have. If you have 10 planes and doing a 70% search, you are probably only going to have 7 planes searching, so don't have more than 70 degrees in your area. Since the search proceeds in a clockwise direction, you can tell which part of the arc will get searched. Also, if you have more planes than arcs, the first ones get hit with more planes.
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:58 pm
by treespider
ORIGINAL: Graymane
Probably something to keep in mind is that I believe a single plane will search a 10 degree arc. So count up how many arcs you have and how many planes you have. If you have 10 planes and doing a 70% search, you are probably only going to have 7 planes searching, so don't have more than 70 degrees in your area. Since the search proceeds in a clockwise direction, you can tell which part of the arc will get searched. Also, if you have more planes than arcs, the first ones get hit with more planes.
Well with 7 planes you could theoretically do 140 degrees the first 70 gets searched in the AM and the second 70 in the PM
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:00 pm
by waynec
ORIGINAL: Barb
Nope. 0=North, 180=South, 90=east, 270=west.
Anywhere on the map, any direction you are moving .... everytime....
the 0 for top of the screen works but north is actually at about 45 degrees.

RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:07 pm
by elescourret@yahoo.com
Thank you all for your input. I agree that it's more intuitive that way. Now the next step would be to actually show the search arcs on the map... But I can live with that for now.
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:23 am
by bradfordkay
If you don't choose an arc, do they still search a full 360*?
I know, I could open up the manual, but I hate online manuals. I'll mess around with the smaller scenarios until my physical copy arrives...
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:18 pm
by cfulbright
Graymane - you say they search in a clockwise direction. Does this mean there is a difference if I set search arc at 300-340 vs. 340-300? For example, at Port Moresby I want to search around New Guinea. Which of those two radiant combos gets me looking over the ocean vs. just looking over New Guinea?
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:41 pm
by medicff
ORIGINAL: cfulbright
Graymane - you say they search in a clockwise direction. Does this mean there is a difference if I set search arc at 300-340 vs. 340-300? For example, at Port Moresby I want to search around New Guinea. Which of those two radiant combos gets me looking over the ocean vs. just looking over New Guinea?
yes it makes a big difference. L click sets start R click sets end in clockwise direction so ....
If you L click 0 and R click 180 then you search East; if you L click 180 and R click 0 then you search west.[8D]
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:57 pm
by Mynok
ORIGINAL: Petitcon
Thank you all for your input. I agree that it's more intuitive that way. Now the next step would be to actually show the search arcs on the map... But I can live with that for now.
WitpStaff will show this.
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:19 pm
by cookie monster
How do I show the search arc's on the map like I have seen on somebodies AAR?
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:29 pm
by witpqs
The 'Z' key is a toggle. It will not show anything for groups that are searching but have 'no arcs' set (meaning 000 to 000).
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:33 pm
by Charbroiled
ORIGINAL: cookie monster
How do I show the search arc's on the map like I have seen on somebodies AAR?
I would suggest not using search arcs until after the next patch. There apparently is a problem with them. See the Tech Support section for details.
RE: Patrol Search Sectors
Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:12 pm
by John Lansford
ORIGINAL: cookie monster
How do I show the search arc's on the map like I have seen on somebodies AAR?
IIRC there is a button on the base screen that allows you to see all the search arcs at that particular base. However, as Charbroiled pointed out, there appears to be a major problem with designating specific search arcs. The search routine may not be working like its supposed to; I've certainly seen a major increase in both surface and sub detection after I removed all specific search arcs from my naval search and ASW patrol squadrons.