Page 1 of 1

somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:22 pm
by JohnDillworth
Wow, looks like I don't have nearly enough destroyers. I am playing the CG as the allies and I have to escort everything. I can't move troops off the west coast fast enough. I have the transport but the subs are taking a heavy toll against un-escorted ships

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:03 pm
by gunnergoz
Yes, the new AI seems to be much more efficient at killing off pesky Americans.  I'm beginning to think that the AE in the game title means "American Enders." [:D]

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:40 pm
by Chad Harrison
Just wait till about late 1942 and early 1943. Things . . . start to turn around for the Allies [:D]

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:44 pm
by Brady

Air ASW Patroles will help you sort out that mess, and set up a couple ASW TF's on a Patrole paten, to sweep your aproaches.


RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:20 pm
by Avenger
My Air based ASW patrols are extremely effective. flying at 100 feet.


RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:05 pm
by Titanwarrior89
Ive also noticed sub on sub[;)]

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:07 pm
by gunnergoz
ORIGINAL: Avenger

My Air based ASW patrols are extremely effective. flying at 100 feet.

Whew. That's really, really low for long-term cruising, even for a PBY. I'll bet the beers are fairly flying out of the fridge at "O" Club back on the base every night...

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:36 pm
by Peever
I just lost an entire convoy off the Canadian coast.  When the sub combat screen popped up it took me a few seconds to understand what was going on.  Now I'm really starting to regret sending the HMS Warspite unescorted down to San Franscio.  When I sent her down there I decided not to send a destroyer along with her because the AI had never attacked me on the West Coast before.  Oops.  

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:15 am
by byron13
ORIGINAL: Peever

I just lost an entire convoy off the Canadian coast.  When the sub combat screen popped up it took me a few seconds to understand what was going on.  Now I'm really starting to regret sending the HMS Warspite unescorted down to San Franscio.  When I sent her down there I decided not to send a destroyer along with her because the AI had never attacked me on the West Coast before.  Oops.  

We're expecting updates on the Warspite's perilous journey . . .

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:36 am
by DrewMatrix
ORIGINAL: Peever

I just lost an entire convoy off the Canadian coast. . . . the AI had never attacked me on the West Coast before.  Oops.  

An ASW patrol from Los Angeles reported a sub in the Santa Barbara channel last turn. I was here thinking "Clever. My pilots are getting jumpy and making all manner of false reports."

Now I'm not so sure.

This is a superb game!

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:41 am
by sanch
It's 12/15, and I just spotted a sub off LA, and also one right next to PH. And I know there's at least one lurking 4-5 hexes out of SF.
 
So, time for another tour of the Pacific, this time looking for anything and everything that can drop a depth charge.

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:55 am
by Scott_USN
KV's and PC's are the thing, even though the game whines about "Not enough of the correct type of ship"

They hunt hard.
 

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:59 am
by sanch
Exactly. I found some KV's up in Victoria (or maybe Vancouver). At any rate, they're on the next convoy out of Seattle. And I would like to find a hundred more of them.

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:12 am
by Top Cat
I was certainly surprised when I lost a couple of ships in Bass Strait before the 20th of December to a sub or two. [X(]

Cheers
Top Cat

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:06 am
by lostsm
ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Ive also noticed sub on sub[;)]
really?

what are the odds an american and jap sub meet in the pacific theater and duke it out with deck guns[8|]

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:44 am
by wdolson
KVs have the best ASW rating of any ships on the West Coast at game start.  I make heavy use of them.

Bill

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:37 pm
by Peever
ORIGINAL: byron13
We're expecting updates on the Warspite's perilous journey . . .

She made it intact. I dispatched some destroyers from San Fransisco to meet up with her and escort her the rest of the way. I have since stepped up ASW patrols across the Pacific. I'm just thankful that I had to learn this lesson by only loosing a few merchant ships instead of the Warspite.

RE: somebody go back and get a s*%T load of destroyers!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:51 pm
by Grotius
Do you guys use the KVs for convoy escort or for local ASW TFs?