Page 1 of 1
System
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:53 am
by histgamer
I really want this game. I have WITP and want this but I fear my rig is not good enough to run it and I don't nor will I have money anytime soon for a new computer. I certainly want to take advantage of the 20 dollars off but I wont be able to unless it works on this computer.
I have the following.
1.83 GHZ Pentium Dual Core Processor
1.5 GB Ram
128 MB Video Card (problem is its a horrible integrated graphics card since I have a laptop)
Would it be pointless to get this with those specs? I think they fit the minimum of the system requirements but I do not want to get the game if it runs like a snail.
RE: System
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:02 am
by jazman
My work laptop is almost the same, except it has 2 GB RAM. I don't recall exactly the video, but it's Intel on-board junk, but seems to be OK. While the "1.83 GHz" sounds bad, it's not. It's a Dual Core, right? I mean, there isn't such a thing as a Pentium Dual Core Processor, so you need to clarify that it really is a dual-core CPU, and if it's Intel, it's called a Core 2 Duo or something like that. If it's a Pentium, it might be hyperthreaded, but I seem to remember that HT Pentiums were starting at clock speeds around 3GHz.
The game runs great on my laptop, I run it in windowed mode.
RE: System
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:56 am
by Scott_USN
You will be able to play it. The first month may be a little slow but after that the game always goes very smooth. You will not be smoking hot but you can play, turn off all the resource hog services like Anti-Virus and such and you will be set.
Although you can get 4 gigs of ram for 40 50 bucks these days. Video is not a big deal with this game and a 512meg video card is cheap.
RAM and CPU are the big ones with this game but with dual core you should play ok.
RE: System
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:01 am
by Scott_USN
nm
RE: System
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:18 am
by histgamer
Thanks!!!
I can upgrade my RAM but I cannot upgrade my video card. Its a laptop so the video card is built into the hard drive... Core 2 Duo or w/e it has Dual Core Technology.
RE: System
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:27 am
by Scott_USN
Be sure to get the hotfix, are it will seem much worse before that fix even my computer was dogged.
RE: System
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:51 am
by BPRE
I'm running it on a 1,4 GHz Celeron with 768 MB RAM and it's fine. Video is just integrated Intel but remember that neither AE nor WitP is graphics heavy. I don't think you will have a problem at all. Of course, it all depends on how fast you want it to run so a better machine will execute faster but it'll definitely work.
I can add that I have a much better desktop too but the difference is not worse than totally acceptable.
/BPRE
RE: System
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:30 am
by Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: flanyboy
1.83 GHZ Pentium Dual Core Processor
1.5 GB Ram
128 MB Video Card (problem is its a horrible integrated graphics card since I have a laptop)
It will work fine.
RE: System
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:01 pm
by Zebedee
Just to give a comparison, I run WitP and AE on:
Celeron 2.41 ghz (single core)
512mb RAM (using Windows XP)
Radeon Sapphire X700 256mb graphics card
Works absolutely fine. Probably a bit slower in the processing than others, but perfectly within acceptable limits for me.
RE: System
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:24 pm
by stuman
ORIGINAL: flanyboy
I really want this game. I have WITP and want this but I fear my rig is not good enough to run it and I don't nor will I have money anytime soon for a new computer. I certainly want to take advantage of the 20 dollars off but I wont be able to unless it works on this computer.
I have the following.
1.83 GHZ Pentium Dual Core Processor
1.5 GB Ram
128 MB Video Card (problem is its a horrible integrated graphics card since I have a laptop)
Would it be pointless to get this with those specs? I think they fit the minimum of the system requirements but I do not want to get the game if it runs like a snail.
I play AE on an old work system as well. @ gig ram, 1.6 ghz, crappy integrated video ( it is not even pixel shader 2.0 ). And it is running just fine and looks good.
RE: System
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:46 pm
by Curty
ORIGINAL: flanyboy
Thanks!!!
I can upgrade my RAM but I cannot upgrade my video card. Its a laptop so the video card is built into the hard drive... Core 2 Duo or w/e it has Dual Core Technology.
The Video card is built into the hard drive[&:]
RE: System
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:59 am
by histgamer
Most laptops cannot have their video cards upgraded because their cards are built into the motherboard...
RE: System
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:36 am
by Hanzberger
I run mine on a Comadore 64. [:D] OMG remember that. hehee
RE: System
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:53 am
by Akos Gergely
I mean, there isn't such a thing as a Pentium Dual Core Processor
Actually there are a lot of processors bearing this name, they are all dumbed down Core 2 Duos with less cache (for the more technical minded out there that is Conroe/Allandale and Wolfdale cores with 1 and 2 MB of L2 caches respectively, all based on Core architecture).
On 65nm process there was the E2xxx series and nowadays they are the E5xxx series.
It's just usual Intel marketing BS that they brought back the Pentium name to badge the less capable Core 2 Duos.
official Pentium Dual-core logo
RE: System
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:12 pm
by jazman
ORIGINAL: csatahajos
I mean, there isn't such a thing as a Pentium Dual Core Processor
Actually there are a lot of processors bearing this name, they are all dumbed down Core 2 Duos with less cache (for the more technical minded out there that is Conroe/Allandale and Wolfdale cores with 1 and 2 MB of L2 caches respectively, all based on Core architecture).
On 65nm process there was the E2xxx series and nowadays they are the E5xxx series.
It's just usual Intel marketing BS that they brought back the Pentium name to badge the less capable Core 2 Duos.
official Pentium Dual-core logo
I should have known better than to say marketers wouldn't do such a thing.
BTW, here are the exact specs on my laptop:
Dell Latitude D630
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7100 (1.80 GHz)
2 GB RAM
Video is Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 384 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 12 MB
That last line is with WITP AE (and not much else) running.
The game runs very well on this machine. It also runs OK on my solar-powered slide rule.