Page 1 of 1
Arrty in attack mode
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 3:48 pm
by robot
It is dif. in attack for now you must take on there mine fields. Again the limit i set for myself and never vary from this is 2batt 150s and 1 batt of 105s. Scouts move forwards on my line of attack. They locate the mine field for me. I then back them out of danger. I will then plot arrtty in on the mine field. They will concentrate there fire in up to 3 hexes of the mine field for at least 5 to seven turns. In the mean time i am bringing my engineers up to there jump off point to clear the mine field. During this time my 105s have been laying smoke from 2 to 5 hexes behind the mine field. You may not blast a path thru the mines. But by the time the engineers get to them and concentrate on 1 to 3 hexes, it doesnt take long to get thru. As my engineers begin to work my 150s have moved 1 hex at a time in rolling barrage back away from the mine field, as engineers where being brought up. Also my 105s have continued all along to lay smoke. Usually by turn 9 thru turn eleven i am thru and moving against light resistence to my first objective i set before debarkation. Again this is my stratagy but may help you use arrty.:p
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:47 pm
by Goblin
Good tacticts robot. Very similar to how I take apart the AI. Works quite well.
Goblin
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:50 pm
by panda124c
I create lanes of approach by smoking up the flanks of where my attack is going in and I put smoke on the rear of the mine field thus allowing my engineer to clear the mines uninterupted. Oh yea don't forget to put some overwatch fire in case the enemy charges out of the smoke to attack your engineers. Once the mines are cleared in go the scouts, followed by the mounted troops and tanks.
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:45 pm
by robot
Thanx was hopin after such along time playing i had learnt alittle some thin
Re: Arrty in attack mode
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:09 am
by Warrior
Originally posted by robot
It is dif. in attack for now you must take on there mine fields. Again the limit i set for myself and never vary from this is 2batt 150s and 1 batt of 105s. Scouts move forwards on my line of attack. They locate the mine field for me. I then back them out of danger. I will then plot arrtty in on the mine field. They will concentrate there fire in up to 3 hexes of the mine field for at least 5 to seven turns. In the mean time i am bringing my engineers up to there jump off point to clear the mine field. During this time my 105s have been laying smoke from 2 to 5 hexes behind the mine field. You may not blast a path thru the mines. But by the time the engineers get to them and concentrate on 1 to 3 hexes, it doesnt take long to get thru. As my engineers begin to work my 150s have moved 1 hex at a time in rolling barrage back away from the mine field, as engineers where being brought up. Also my 105s have continued all along to lay smoke. Usually by turn 9 thru turn eleven i am thru and moving against light resistence to my first objective i set before debarkation. Again this is my stratagy but may help you use arrty.:p
Takes too many turns for me. I just charge and take the casualties.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:59 am
by WhiteRook
Great tactics Robot!
Flail tanks seem to work pretty good for me!

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:20 pm
by Capt Chris
I have been trying to learn a good assault strategy for the past few weeks and keep getting beat up by the AI. I us my arty to discover the mine fields at my entry points and I cover my engineers with plenty of smoke. What I don't do is wait for the minefield to be empty before going in. I lose lots of vehicles that way.
I guess I gotta learn to be more patient. I am going to force my troops to wait next time, I swear! I think I'll give this a try tonight.
A question though...
What do you do with the main force while you are waiting for the minefileds to be cleared? Doesn't the enemy target you with their Arty?
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:10 pm
by panda124c
Originally posted by Capt Chris
I have been trying to learn a good assault strategy for the past few weeks and keep getting beat up by the AI. I us my arty to discover the mine fields at my entry points and I cover my engineers with plenty of smoke. What I don't do is wait for the minefield to be empty before going in. I lose lots of vehicles that way. 
I guess I gotta learn to be more patient. I am going to force my troops to wait next time, I swear! I think I'll give this a try tonight.
A question though...
What do you do with the main force while you are waiting for the minefileds to be cleared? Doesn't the enemy target you with their Arty?
Take a lesson from the English and 'Have a brew' while waiting.

If they can't see you they can't target you.
To speed things up I put a minimum of two engineers on each mine field, three if I have them. A company of engineers can open up a lane through a mine field 3 to 4 hexes wide within a few turns.