Page 1 of 1

Allied OOB

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:22 pm
by tbridges
I'm trying to get the Allied forces organized, but in the absence of a structured OOB for the game I am having a very difficult time.

It seems like all my forces are just in a big generic pool. When an operation is being planned the thing to do is just to grab any available base force, throw in an engineering unit or two, add some infantry, perhaps some armor and artillery, and assemble them all into an ad hoc invasion/battle group.

How does everyone organize their forces? Does anyone actually establish their own OOB, and assign their forces into a conventional Army-Corps-Division- ... etc. structure? Or does everyone just assemble whatever forces happen to be available at the moment into battle groups as the need arises?


RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:24 pm
by DrewMatrix
I have all the Allied Air HQs as an Excel spreadsheet. It's very helpful in planning, seeing who I sent where etc.
 
Is there a way to append a spreasheet, as opposed to an image, to posts on this forum or is there another way to post spreadsheets?
 
 

RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:31 pm
by Andy Mac
I tend to organise by Corps
 
So in India XXXIII Corps covers South and Centre
XV Corps covers Calcutta and the Akyab front
IV Corps covers Assam
 
I then assign units accordingly pulling them out of the restricted commands ass appropriate
 
When I go ont he attack
 
IV Corps gets Assam
XV Corps get Akyab and
XXXIII is the wildcard sometimes going for Bucaneer sometimes supporting either of the other two corps sometimes going deep

RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:39 pm
by DrewMatrix
Andy,

Is there a way for me to post an Excel Spreadsheet here?

I have the Allied Air HQs sorted as to direct superiors and then the superior if any. So when I have get an Air Group assigned to the RAF 224 I know where to send it. People may find this useful and I'd love a similar spreadsheet of the Allied land HQs. (the IJ players can go fend for themselves <G>)



RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:44 pm
by Andy Mac
I have never managed it I use pictures to post data

RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:59 pm
by jazman
ORIGINAL: Beezle

Andy,

Is there a way for me to post an Excel Spreadsheet here?


Just change the file extension from .xls to .jpg or .txt, post it as an attachment (don't embed picture in post, please, it's not a picture), then tell people it's a spreadsheet and they'll have to change the file extension from .jpg (or .txt) to .xls once they've saved it.

RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:02 pm
by jazman
Hey, if you post a spreadsheet, make sure you don't have important info in the Properties.

RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:03 pm
by Dixie
You can put it in a zip archive and upload that as well.

RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:14 pm
by Central Blue
Please note that they enter organized by their parent HQ's, which is sort of what I think of when I think of an OOB.

There are many useful resources on line for looking up every unit in the game. When the 41st. ID showed up, I googled it. You can find out where it was originally used, and then point it to its objective. You could even do the same with the Defense Battalions. Between the Park Service and the Defense department, you can get all kinds of detail on their composition and deployment. The Airforce has a two giant publications out in .pdf that details all of their units. Similar detail is available for the navy. I don't have my links here at work, but there are sights that detail every ship of every task force for the major operations.

What I am more concerned about now is getting the 41st from Pacific to SW pacific HQ. I really hope it will be cheaper when the SWAPAC HQ shows up.

RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:37 pm
by mg62
I'm also intested in an OOB or hierarchy of the HQ's primarily for the LCU's as well as the air units.&nbsp; I tried doing this with the Chinese units so I can keep track of the various LCU's and keep them near thier HQ's.&nbsp; I keep thinking that this is something that is easily available but maybe the only way is to go through this manually.
&nbsp;

RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:44 am
by DrewMatrix
ORIGINAL: jazman
ORIGINAL: Beezle

Andy,

Is there a way for me to post an Excel Spreadsheet here?


Just change the file extension from .xls to .jpg or .txt, post it as an attachment (don't embed picture in post, please, it's not a picture), then tell people it's a spreadsheet and they'll have to change the file extension from .jpg (or .txt) to .xls once they've saved it.

OK, here goes. The attached file is actually an Excel spreadsheet. Change the extention from txt to xls to use.

This is the Allied OOB for Air Hqs. I find this useful to keep track of where the HQs are assigned (Imphal or Columbo etc) and who their superiors are.



RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:45 am
by DrewMatrix
Grr. Seems I didn't to it correctly.

Any tips on how to attach this excel spreasheet?


RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:28 am
by Top Cat
ORIGINAL: Beezle

Grr. Seems I didn't to it correctly.

Any tips on how to attach this excel spreasheet?

I downloaded the attachment OK.

Just need to "save page as"
Then rename .txt file to .xls
All done

Cheers
Top Cat

RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:29 am
by Hanzberger
[X(]It works great. Good idea too~! [&o]

RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:29 am
by xj900uk
Thanx,&nbsp; worked for me eventually as well.&nbsp; Anyone done a Jap OOB or is that just not yet available?

RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:01 pm
by Mundy
Excellent little resource here.&nbsp; This helps me a lot, thanks.
&nbsp;
M-

RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:29 pm
by tbridges
Thanks Drew, this is a big help.

RE: Allied OOB

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:41 pm
by mg62
Both Allied and Jap OOB work sheets in this thread:
&nbsp;
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2185579
&nbsp;