Page 1 of 5

Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:47 pm
by Templer_12
I know it´s not a movie forum.

But it´s one of the most interesting and most entertaining sources I know. [:)]

So the best movies about the pacific war are?

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:06 pm
by dude
ORIGINAL: Templer

I know it´s not a movie forum.

But it´s one of the most interesting and most entertaining sources I know. [:)]

So the best movies about the pacific war are?

With or without John Wayne? oh wait you said Best... [:D]

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:11 pm
by rroberson
I think there was a pretty good Ben Afleck movie a couple years ago...


[8D]

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:12 pm
by Xavier5733
IMO, "The battle of Midway" (1976) [&o]

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:17 pm
by Schani
A good old one: Guadalcanal Diary (1943). Also a great book.

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:18 pm
by AcePylut
Pearl Harbor
 
There... I said it.  The "movie" that shall not be named, has been named.

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:19 pm
by Schani
And now you must walk the Hall of Shame.

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:20 pm
by AcePylut
/starts walking

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:22 pm
by paullus99
Midway was good - too bad "Shattered Sword" has killed all of original myths of the battle.

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:25 pm
by Schani
I could mention the other one, The Thin... Nope I'm a coward.

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:28 pm
by m10bob
Bataan....Air Force......The Purple Plains......

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:28 pm
by Xavier5733
I forgot this one.
"The Thin red Line" is one of my favourite war movies.

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:30 pm
by sfbaytf
I've seen just about every war movie made. Wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Tora,Tora,Tora and Midway if it was done right, but I'm not holding my breath. Hollywood isn't into making historically accurate movies these days. In order to attract as many viewers they have to cater to the ladies and that means "chick flicks" elements slip into the mix.

Pearl Harbor with Ben Afleck, was laughable. No amount of special effects can make up for a warped storyline and innaccuracies.

These days if I want to see/learn about the Pacific Theater I just stay at home and fire up:

World at War
Battle 360
Victory at Sea
Crusade in the Pacific
WW2 in Color

And other fine DVD's that can be bought online or rented.

One book I'd like to mention is "The Campaign for Guadacanal" by Jack Coggins. He has other fine books I also have. Its out of print and not easily available, but if you do some searching online you should be able to get it.


RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:31 pm
by rroberson
ORIGINAL: Schani

I could mention the other one, The Thin... Nope I'm a coward.


I watched that movie a couple years back.

I'm still not sure what it was about.

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:32 pm
by Schani
And that was the other unmentionable. The one I cowardly wouldn't name. You may join Acepylut in his walk.[:D]

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:34 pm
by dude
I'm still a fan of "Bridge on the River Kwai"... I learned to whistle because of the Col. Bogey March... [:D]

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:35 pm
by Schani
My last post. That was for Woody

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:42 pm
by Graymane
What? No "Empire of the Sun" or "From Here to Eternity?"

RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:52 pm
by Mark VII
Think that was my first hardback book in my collection about the war in the pacific. First edition 1972, during my 2nd year of High School. Remember it fondly.
ORIGINAL: sfbaytf

One book I'd like to mention is "The Campaign for Guadacanal" by Jack Coggins. He has other fine books I also have. Its out of print and not easily available, but if you do some searching online you should be able to get it.


RE: Best movies about the Pacific War?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:54 pm
by moonraker65
Tora! Tora! Tora!. Without doubt the best portrayal of the Pearl Harbor attack. And for 1970 not bad Special FX.