Page 1 of 1
Nwb asks: logging PBEM battles ? Koenigstiger availability ? Proper PF usage ?
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 10:30 am
by jonne0077
First: introduction.
25yr-old gamer from Finland who, despite being pacifist by nature, finds SPWAW:s calculatricingly enticing gameplay too immersive to resist. Current track record of SPWAW gaming covers skimming over tutorials + 1 TCP/IP game and 1 ongoing PBEM bash as Soviets against Austrian-commandeered German forces. Hello to everyone !
Then: the questions.
- I'm loving the way my 1st PBEM game has played out so far, having taken out 3 Koeningstigers

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to ´log´the battle proceedings so that I could gloat or horror at what happened at such and such a turn. What I'd really like would be some kind of a possibility to watch .rec files at a later date. Is zat possible ?
- There seems to be a lot of discussion on Tigers and their near invincibility. Well, the Koeningstiger seems to be even more invincible at least looking at the stats ( I wondered why my opponent wanted to play such a late stage of war... now I know!!). What I'm wondering is that if it would be such a time (with Germany close to collapse) how likely would it be to be up against (my intelligence estimates) 6-8 Koeningstigers ? What was their real availability ? Another related question is the ratio at which each side (Sov/Ger) should get points at the beginning... the industrial strength of Soviet U must have been (late in the war) many times that of Germany - how did that affect the strength of forces ?
- Is it possible to use PFaust to kill Koeningstigers ? What in general is the 'right' way to attack with PF ? Do they have to lie and wait by the roadside or would it be better to 'spurt' a couple of hexes from cover and then unleash the Faust on the Panzer ?
Ok, nothing more (for now ......

Re: Nwb asks: logging PBEM battles ? Koenigstiger availability ? Proper PF usage ?
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:55 pm
by mogami
Welcome
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 5:07 pm
by Gary Tatro
Immersive - yes.
As far as the availability of the Koeningstigers the game has a setting in the preferences called "True troop on/off/Rarity on/off" there are four settings. Each country has specific attributes/abillities. "True troop on" means that the those attributes/abilities are taken into account during purchase and game play. "True troop off " gives a more equal game (as far as experience and abilities) without country attributes.
Each piece of equipment and type of unit has a rarity setting.(if you click on it in the purchase menu you should be able to see a number next to the rarity line) This is a randomizer that makes it more difficult to say purchase a whole company of Koeningstigers in a game. You might be able to get a platoon and then they would turn red in the menu saying unavailable. So by playing with Rarity on it makes it more difficult to purchase those units you would like.
Most PBEM games are played with "True Troop On/Rarity off" Hope this helps and have fun. Remember that you have friends and family that like to see you.

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:15 pm
by Capt Chris
One thing you have to remember is that you opponent also had to pay a lot of points for those King Tigers. I know it isn't much consolation if all of your AFV's are smoldering heaps of metal but it might help a little.
The only effective tactic against the King Tiger I have found comes from a Monty Python movie. ( The Holy Grail I think. )
"Run Away! Run Away!".
I try to play with Rarity On whenever possible to be sure what you describe doesn't happen. Not all opponents you will play are going to buy a balanced force which is sometimes hard to take if you do. Some like lots of armor, some like tons of air support, some love those rocket batteries (especially with unlimited ammo)

, etc...
I am pretty sure I read recently that the Panzer 4 was the most popular tank in the German arsenal throughout the late stages of the war. I am going to assume that seeing 2 or 3 battalions of King Tigers on 1 battlefield didn't happen that often if ever.
Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:21 am
by Goblin
The number of points needs to be agreed upon prior to playing too. In a meeting engagement, as long as 'true troop' is on, an identical number of points is fair. The game simulates the industrial capacity and quality thru pricing. As Capt Chris pointed out, those King Tigers are expensive! Compare a platoon of those with a platoon of T-34's, and you will see what I mean. Six or so Kings probably isn't unrealistic. Deadly, yes, but not way out of line. Two companies and its way overboard.
Goblin
Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:02 am
by jonne0077
Originally posted by Goblin
... The game simulates the industrial capacity and quality thru pricing....
Does this mean that, under different conditions, the price varies from what is listed in the weapons encyclopedia?
About rarity: I assume that the 'Chance of Radio/Rarity' in the weapons encyclopedia is the rarity we're talking about - (I thought it had something to do with the effectiveness of the radio - doof)
Rarity seems to range from 0 to 3 in the WE, and looking at the rarity for tanks for Finland, I would hazard a guess that 1 is somewhat difficult to get hold of and 3 is probably something that you never saw during the war ?
Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:33 am
by Goblin
Yes, price varies from what is listed in the encyclopedia. If you play the Soviets, for example, Early in the war, their experience, morale, and leadership are very low. With true troop on, the computer factors that in, and a tank that would normally cost 100 might cost 80 for the Russians. If you were to work up that tanks experience in a campaign, you would see the 'value' increase on the unit info screen. The industrial balance comes into play with overall prices. Nations such as SO or USA have tanks that cost less overall, enabling you to buy more. This balances out the game. Try buying units for the Soviets in early 41, then try the same units in late 43. You will notice the price difference.
Goblin
Posted: Thu May 02, 2002 8:06 pm
by Belisarius
Originally posted by jonne0077
About rarity: I assume that the 'Chance of Radio/Rarity' in the weapons encyclopedia is the rarity we're talking about - (I thought it had something to do with the effectiveness of the radio - doof)
No, you're right about that one - it's the units chance of being in radio contact with a higher command. (Believe me, you will notice if you have poor Chance of Radio w/ your OB arty - which you always do :p If you play with C&C on, units out of contact will be a pain to relay orders to)
You will see in the preferences screen the button that toggles True Troop / Rarity.
Posted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:13 am
by jonne0077
Originally posted by Belisarius
No, you're right about that one - it's the units chance of being in radio contact with a higher command. (Believe me, you will notice if you have poor Chance of Radio w/ your OB arty - which you always do :p If you play with C&C on, units out of contact will be a pain to relay orders to)
You will see in the preferences screen the button that toggles True Troop / Rarity.
Hmm. But that means there is no indication of unit rarity anywhere in the weapons encyclopedia, at least that I remember of.
Posted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:15 pm
by Belisarius
Originally posted by jonne0077
Hmm. But that means there is no indication of unit rarity anywhere in the weapons encyclopedia, at least that I remember of.
Uh-oh. Never thought about that. If it is there, I've missed it as well. I don't use the encyclopedia to check for rarity - it is random after all :rolleyes: You will see it in the unit buy menu, tho'..
Posted: Fri May 03, 2002 8:06 pm
by panda124c
Originally posted by Capt Chris
One thing you have to remember is that you opponent also had to pay a lot of points for those King Tigers. I know it isn't much consolation if all of your AFV's are smoldering heaps of metal but it might help a little.
The only effective tactic against the King Tiger I have found comes from a Monty Python movie. ( The Holy Grail I think. )
"Run Away! Run Away!".
.
I have found that rocket totin' P-47's or Typhoons work well on King Tigers. Stops'em in their tracks, then if they survive smoke'm up. No see, no move, no problem.

Posted: Sat May 04, 2002 6:37 am
by tracer
One other thing about 'true troop cost': if you purchase elite units the price will actually be higher than that listed in the encyclopedia (about 10%).
Posted: Sat May 04, 2002 6:47 am
by tracer
Originally posted by jonne0077
Hmm. But that means there is no indication of unit rarity anywhere in the weapons encyclopedia, at least that I remember of.
Its a bit confusing the way they stuck both items on the same line, but the second figure is in fact the 'rarity' variable. I seem to remember seeing one of the designers post a message explaining that while the rarity values are shown as 0-3, they are actually broken into further divisions by the game engine.