Page 1 of 1
Doolittle Raid footage
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:26 am
by Pascal_slith
RE: Doolittle Raid footage
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:32 am
by comte
cool thanks [:)]
RE: Doolittle Raid footage
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:15 am
by stuman
Great stuff.
RE: Doolittle Raid footage
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:08 am
by patrickl
Fantastic footage. Never seen this before. Thanks!![&o][&o]
RE: Doolittle Raid footage
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:54 am
by GB68
Great footage!
It still amazes how those B-25's were able to launch of that deck at such slow speed. The long distance shots of them clearing the deck and almost looking like they are going ditch is astonishing.
RE: Doolittle Raid footage
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:26 pm
by Jonathan Pollard
I took a look at the Wikipedia article on the Doolittle raid and saw something interesting of which I was not aware, that "At least one bomb from the plane of Lt. Edgar E. McElroy struck the Japanese aircraft carrier Ryûhô.[20]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doolittle_Raid
RE: Doolittle Raid footage
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:30 pm
by Macca
Is it possible to launch such a raid in WitP AE?
RE: Doolittle Raid footage
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:56 pm
by Jonathan Pollard
ORIGINAL: Macca
Is it possible to launch such a raid in WitP AE?
No, unless it's possible to use the editor to allow a level bomber unit to become carrier-capable.
RE: Doolittle Raid footage
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:48 pm
by Canoerebel
As a laywer and history buff, I sometimes used Doolittle's Raid in my closing arguments. I had some cases in which the state was acquiring property to widen a highway. If the "other side" were taking a position like, "Woe is me; I have this property but I'm afraid I can't do anything with it now because the mean nasty state has taken ten feet of frontage to increase the two-lane highway to a four-lane highway; so now I have this nice chunk of property that will be on a four-lane, but *sniff sniff* I'll never be able to do anything with it!" Then I'd begin with a bit of a talk about how Americans always find ways to do things when nobody thinks it can be done - Doolittle's Raid being Exhibit A.
RE: Doolittle Raid footage
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:46 pm
by Q-Ball
Hadn't seen that before, nice!
What is the takeoff Groundspeed on those planes? I thought it was in slow-motion, but if you look at the Hornet's wake it appears real-time. So slow they appear to be struggling to outpace the carrier! Had to be taking off under 100 mph groundspeed (with a headwind of probably 50-ish or so between windspeed and the speed of the CV).
RE: Doolittle Raid footage
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:36 am
by Pascal_slith
ORIGINAL: Q-Ball
Hadn't seen that before, nice!
What is the takeoff Groundspeed on those planes? I thought it was in slow-motion, but if you look at the Hornet's wake it appears real-time. So slow they appear to be struggling to outpace the carrier! Had to be taking off under 100 mph groundspeed (with a headwind of probably 50-ish or so between windspeed and the speed of the CV).
The book "30 seconds over Tokyo" has some of your answers...